Too big a war?

Too big a war?

Pakistan’s Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif were found guilty of spot fixing by an English court, while Mohammad Amir pleaded guilty to the charges even before the proceedings had begun. The International Cricket Council (ICC) banned the trio in February this year for violating the anti-corruption code and they now face possible jail terms in England.

Amir’s situation in the scandal might beg leniency as he was only 18 when the incident occurred and admitted to the charges early on but the position of his two team mates, who are both in their late 20s, fails to get much sympathy.

The trial also saw Pakistani players Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal and Wahab Riaz named in relation with match-fixing and may face investigation from the ICC.

Rashid Latif, a former captain, was quoted as saying by The Guardian that the fault lies within the structure of the domestic game in Pakistan. The players usually hail from lower class backgrounds and only get the chance to make big money once they are in the international spotlight.

While it is true that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) needs to inject more financial security into the domestic game and that

Pakistan’s players are not very well-paid, is it fair to justify the actions of the players by blaming it on their circumstances? Will the punishments given to these cricketers help put a stop to corruption in the game in the future? Should these players be ever allowed to play for Pakistan again?

How much of the blame lies with ICC’s much vaunted Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) and what more does it need to do?

The head of the anti-corruption unit, former Indian policeman Ravi Sawani, told the trial in England betting syndicates were run by “mafia and underworld dons” in Mumbai and Dubai who make millions from India’s illegal betting industry.

The ICC is now set to launch a new investigation based on the police evidence which begs the question: is it too big a war for the cricket body to handle?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

27 Responses to “Too big a war?”

1. Farhan says:

What a shameful act by these players, they want to get rich in one day match…they can play gambling instead but not in this game of cricket…
    There were issues relating to match fixing in earlier years from all over the world, that were disturbing to their country men.
    Being a Pakistani citizen I cannot stand to such misconducts and cheap acts from our players,
    They deserve punishment and lesson for others…

2. Ganesh says:

The cricketers committed crimes and should be punished.

3. Rajat says:

I guess, the former PCB chariman Ejaj Butt and the Pakistan High Commission in London should also be questioned about their roles. When the news of corruption came out, they gave them blank support and blamed the media, Indians, Indian bookies, English media etc. etc.

Most Pakistanies wrote this as a conspiracy against Pakistan. You may blame bookies, agents and all other but it is the players who bring the pride and glory to their countries and they should be fully responsible of what they are doing.

• sami says:

Some of us as Pakistanis are looking for lame excuses. Cheaters in the team and now confirmed. Look at their shameful outlook as they walk into the courts and we still try to own them. Its better to disown them and walk away from them so that they can languish in agony in the prison.

4. makraja says:

Two things stand out in this
    1. Salman Butt’s gripe that some players were living in houses well beyond their means!
    2. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
    Both these are central in my opinion as to what has happened. If you are powerful in Pakland then you feel invincible as all powerful are beyond the grip of the law as we only know to well so no need to debate. With it comes riches with whatever means you can employ / available to you. A combination of the above to get rich soon which is only to prevelant in a nascent society / or whatever it is that is if it is one thus has come to the fore.
    I do however have a few more things to add
    1. Also try Justice akram who let wasim akram off the hook claiming he was a fan . How could he have delivered justice when he himself admits the biase.
    2. Let these boys serve their punishment and then consider the pound of flesh paid.
    3. Please do not implicate their near and dear ones. They have been in my reckoning already suffered a living death!

5. Tom says:

I have lost faith in international cricket . I do not know for sure that these days the cricket test, one day and T20 or even world cup are played with free of corruption, because the amount of money in these games are so huge that no one can say for 100% accuracy about the fairness of the game. I would not be surprise if the cricket board of various countries are also culprit in the scam.

6. ahmed zeeshan says:

Those who claim that Pakistani Players are not well paid donot have idea that Pay of category ‘C’ National player ( lowest category) is 80-100 k per month ( fix) other than the match fee,prizes, sponsorships and other things which really is a handsome amount. and that of Category A Player is 3.5 lac per month.Can anybody please tell me if by joining any other profession one can build a house in Defense Lahore within an year as Mohammad Aamer Did in a year?

7. Sheetal says:

There is no excuse for what these players did. Why blame ICC ? The whole world is corrupt going that way. Betting syndicates bet on almost everything.. from weather to election results how are you going to control all this ? What is easy ? to control your 16 players or the entire world ? If you can’t have 16 players whose integrity is above board than it shows the moral bankruptcy of the society as a whole and shouldn’t be playing.This is true for all cricket lovers from all countries. Do not demand laws and enquiries. Just quit watching.

8. Murtaza Jamal says:

One does wrong, one must be penalized so is the case with the three Pakistani cricketers. However, justice must be even and applicable to all. I refuse to believe that the entire “spot-fixing / satta” industry runs with the support of just these three players.

• Vk (India) says:

Absolutely true….fixing does not depends on these 3 players! Many people from India and Dubai should be really involved. Unfortunately sub-continent players are in love with dollars and pounds and euros such that they forget the respect they owe to their motherland!

9. gary says:

Pakistan’s players are not very well-paid, is it fair to justify the actions of the players by blaming it on their circumstances? ……..
    Low pay is not an excuse. In any case, the players are better paid than the common man. If the same common man does fraud, he is put into jail. Right?

Should these players be ever allowed to play for Pakistan again?…… The answer is a big NO.

10. Ali says:

Even my 10 years old niece was shocked when she saw Kamran Akmal dropping all those easy chances behind the stumps. The way Umar Akmal faked his injury, its a shame they were not punished back then and investigated upon. I disagree with Rashid Latif that they dont make enough money. They are blessed with the honour to wear Green and do get paid very handsomely. They take their fame for granted, I am very happy to see them behind the bars. Our dear Pakistan comes first, we will find 100s like Amir Asit & Butt…We dont need them.

11. What is the guarantee, that ICC itself, is not a part of world betting syndicate? Look at what the whole world and also Mazhar Majeed said about the Sydney Test fixing, but ICC denies. Even today, if this specific Test match is investigated by an independent world commission, appointed by the ICJ, the facts will reveal the entire cover up. Sarfaraz Nawaz has very rightly said that the Anti-Corruption Unit of the ICC, should be disbanded.

12. Khan says:

It is not only the mafia, Boards are also involved in this game. Players like Dilshan and Steve Waugh have talked about this but everything was shove under the carpet. The boards and the Mafia are bigger than the game.

13. HasSsan says:

Oh Yes ! it is TOO BIG for a dependent and bounded cricketing board to fought.. in the end it is the board who will lose every time the battle is set and the players like the convicted trio will be the victims,,

14. Justice says:

Sadly we lost one of the finest player from the Pakistani team, but justice is served which will hopefully put an end to illeagal money. The trio will hopefully feel ashamed now two of whom had been shamelessly fighting for a case that was purely their own fault. I don’t feel a bit of sympathy for the very reason that they caused irrepairable embarrassment for all of the Pakistanis. Hope criciketers and others will learn.

15. faisal says:

@Iqbal Khan
    Because two wrongs never make one right.

• Iqbal Khan says:

Its not about wrong or right anymore,its an outage out there and people are robbing whatever they can from shops if you know what i mean ………

16. Striver says:

ICC’s investigations should start from Mumbai

17. Roj says:

Hi,

Rather than blaming only the cricketers the blame lies solely on the society. If these cricketers live in a society ingrained with profligate politicians and others,then automatically these guys will also be sucked into these kind of unscrupulous deeds. So let’s make it a point to highlight all these kinds of deeds in order to educate masses. And this way we are teaching the youth of the countries that there is a big prize to pay if they indulge in these kind of activities. Part of the blame lies on PCCB for simply allowing tainted players to come back whenever they like.Let’s all learn a lesson from these shameful acts.

18. rija latif says:

in my opinion i have no objection over the strict denouement made at corruption cases because it would create standards for public. they would definitely be apartheid of corruption which is the exigency of situation in Pakistan but one thing that has to be a matter of consideration,the infuriated emotions of trio lovers and fans..so before culminating to any such life-ban decree court has to take account of all the preceding reactions… they should be given sparse sympathy and would definitely be given a single chance to align themselves by giving them punishment but not the life ban….

19. dv says:

Their actions have tarnished the image of Pakistan. They are traitors and nothing else. They have also done a huge damage to Pakistan cricket community. I hope that steps are being taken to check the activities of sports people in international games like cricket, hockey etc.

20. Qasier says:

If you do bad, then bad things will be happed with you. They got bad names and it becomes part of a history. New players should learn !

21. Iqbal Khan says:

Why should players be left out in making money thru illegal means when those responsible for running the country are doing the same.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement