Tell us, tell the Quaid

Tell us, tell the Quaid

Dawn was founded by Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. In a run-up to his birthday celebrations this year, tell us, and the Quaid, in one sentence how you think Jinnah would have viewed his and our Pakistan today. Please give your name, age, profession and location at the end of your message. For example, “Pakistan is indeed your dream come true.” —Shehla Mirza, 27, physician, Peshawar

A selection of these comments will be published in the Quaid-i-Azam Day (December 25) Special edition of Dawn.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

198 Responses to “Tell us, tell the Quaid”

1. Ali irfan says:

He would have seen pakistan with democracy, developed economy, justice and islamic rule of law. No corruption, no favouritism , equity ,free journalism,loan free society,terrorism free society. Ali irfan acca multan

2. faheem says:

Judging from what have read about Mr. Jinnah. Mr Jinnah knew its not going to be smooth ride with all the odds against him but we will overcome them. but Pakistan being ended up like this is far worse than is his worst nightmare coming true” __Faheem Ahmed, 21, Engineering Student.

3. amarjeet says:

It is not a country of Mr. Jinnah’s very idea of state to progress with harmony and peace. Most important who have mutated his Pakistan into a land of disasters, still those powers capacitixing and looks they have paralysed the whole system of democracy, civilians basic rights etc.But keep lightened the candle of hope-VOH SUBAHA KABHI TO AYEGI. AMARJEET – CHANDIGARH

4. Tariq Khan says:

May Allah bless our respected Quaid’s soul. He would have seen the country still full of potential. Then he would have looked for a leader who could run the country honestly and sincerely. A leader who is capable to change people’s thinking into NOT accepting corruption as a way of life and to do something about it to take this menace out with its roots. Pakistan Zindabad!
    Tariq Khan, 42 years. IT Manager, NJ, USA.

5. S says:

M A Jinnah was a secular Muslim which is not to be found these days anywhere.One in a billion(s) i should say.His vision of Pakistan died when he died.Today’s Pakistan is completely opposite and as he wished that Pakistani Citizens will be free to go to mosques,temples,gurudwaras,synagogues,churches,etc..this is completely opposite today which is happening in the country.Leave aside temples,gurudwaras,synagogues and churches,the common man is fearful in visiting a mosque as well..Good that M A Jinnah passed away before “Islamic” was introduced as the name of the new country which is now called “Islamic Republic of Pakistan”!!!

S, Bank Teller,Mumbai

6. parmoon shuja says:

Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah Would have said “o my people of Pakistan be united, honest and hard working”.
    P. Shuja. 64. Retired. Australia.

7. Christopher Cranston says:

Where did I go wrong ?

Christopher Cranston, 25, Lawyer, NY, USA

• Khalil Ahmad says:

Well said. Quaid’s disappointment while viewing the role of his successors can not be expressed in words…….not less than a blitzkrieg. May Almighty bless the great statesman eternal peace and bless vision to the Pakistani leaders.

8. Bilal Akram says:

If Mohammad Ali Jinnah would have viewed whats going on in Pakistan then he will be requesting to Allah…O’Almighty let me allow to go back to Pakistan and save my people…my own people…..
    Bilal Akram…24 years old….Aerospace Engineer…Gujranwala,Pakistan

9. Kris says:

Interesting except for one comment all of the above ones have clearly stated how regretful Jinnah saaheb would be viewing the current state of “his” country.
    – I think he may like to undo the history of partition – separation/partition was the seed of hatred. That is how things take shape – a small crevice leads to a wedge which in turn leads to a partition of tectonics.
    – It was probably in God’s plan – the current anarchy and intolerance has been contained at the border (though some have trickled out).
    – Jinnah was meant to win over the argument on partition while Gandhi was meant to lose.
    – Lessons from that partition can only be learnt when we think and feel the spirituality in human connectedness rather than comforting our ego to maintain the ‘artificial’ religious differences/disconnections.
    – Kris, 43, physician, USA

10. Mohammad Ali Khan says:

Embrace Unity,Faith and discipline,and reject corruption,fanaticism and nepotism.

Mohammad Ali Khan,M.D..F.A.C.S.
    62Yrs.

11. Imtiaz says:

Quaid’s dream was a secular Pakistan where all people could live within their own liberties, views and beliefs, but along the way this dream was hijacked and the very people who supported Congress against the formation of Pakistan, became it’s ‘thekedaar’ (can’t be expressed better in English), and for political mileage changed it to ‘Islamic Republic’ – where there is neither any respect for Islam nor the Republic. Unfortunately Pakistan could never have any visionary leadership, it has always been infested with people who either have their own agendas or are puppets to others’. Time has come where it’s citizens have to decide whether they want to save the country or lose this dream, either way a heavy price will have to be paid. Allah says in the Holy Quran (to the effect of) ‘If you see wrongdoing, mend it, if you can’t do that raise concern against that, and if you can’t even do that then condemn it in your hearts and that is the weakest form of belief. Either we as citizens are responsible for this state of affairs, we cannot hold any one responsible nor should we point fingers at others if we lose it. May Allah preserve this dream.
    Imtiaz, Chartered Accountant, Canada 49 years old.

12. tahira arshad says:

QaideAzam will not recognise the current Pakistani state which is totally contradictory to his secular concept. There is no freedom for minorities to practice their faith. Even those muslims who try to speak in their favor do so at the expense of risking their lives, like Salman Taseer. Sorry to say but Pakistan today is a totally unislamic country except in its name.

T.Arshad
    California

13. Muhammad Rohaan Sadiq says:

118 comments so far and I believe majority of the people must be thinking that Quaid-e-Azam wouldn’t be happy with whatever is happening today in Pakistan. While Pakistan was in the process of building, Quaid-e-Azam on numerous occasions shared with us his thinking about the future of Pakistan. I am quite glad to see that many of us still read about Quaid-e-Azam’s personality and his views on many issues.
    It is so strange that all of us on this forum and perhaps many more of us within or outside Pakistan have passion about Pakistan. We all want to see it rising just like Quaid-e-Azam wanted yet we are not able to bring this nation back to track. Are we too little in number that we cannot fulfil Quaid-e-Azam’s dreams? They were few when they made Pakistan and we are many! yet we can’t run the country. Shame on us!
    When we see our corrupt politicians who we think are behind all these troubles, we always say “Don’t these people fear Allah Taala! What will they say when they will face Him”. But! Do we fear Allah Taala in this context? What will we say when we will be asked what have you been doing when your countrymen were being robbed and killed in front of you? What did you do for the country your Muslim brothers and sisters died for?

The question should have been “What we have given to Quaid’s Pakistan?”

Muhammad Rohaan Sadiq, a 23 years old PhD Student who will come back to Pakistan (InshAllah Taala) to serve the country on completion of the degree.

14. Bahadar Ali Khan says:

Quaid would be thinking, after reviewing Pakistani history, why I went for law studies and all the efforts of political campaigning, rather it would be nicer to have joined the Armed forces, became a four star general, declared Martial Law, and ruled for ten or more years the entire sub-continent in the healthy middle age, rather then just one year of rule in the twilight years of the frail age. Sorry but it is as true as it might sounds funny!
    Canada, 40 years, writer

15. Ahmed j says:

Quaid-e-Azam when became Governor General of newly created Pakistan, he used to take Rupee 1 as a salary just to show that he was a servant of the country. Mr Jinnah, setting this as an example would like that members of the parliament including ministers, prime minister and president must have the national minimum wage of a worker set by the government as a salary. This tiniest salary will attract politicians who only want to serve the nation and not themselves.

Ahmed j, 43yrs, United Kingdom.

16. Altaf Sheikh says:

Jinnah would have loved to see the youth of his country playing a vital role in consolidated national development.

Altaf, 23, CSS Aspirant, Larkana.

17. M.Imtiaz Iqbal says:

He would light his cigar and say “Under the shadow of blood I made it, under the shadow of lust they sold it.”
    M.Imtiaz Iqbal. Masters In English, University Of the Punjab.

18. In Quaid-e-Azam’s Pakistan religion should be a private matter between an individual and God. We must follow his saying of 11th aug, 1947 “you are free to go to your mosque, your temple or any other place of worship and this has nothing to do with the business of the state”. The relations between India and Pakistan be like that of between America and Canada. Lahore. Govt Service.

19. Hassaan says:

Quid i just want to say….”i am sorry”…..we as a nation has let you down:(:(:(

Hassaan, Physician, Lahore

20. SMA says:

Don’t be shuttered yourself. Think positively n stand up for Pakistan….
    Firstly remove these all culprits Politicians n youth should stand for Pakistan, because youth is the only hope for Pakistan… Please must vote to show your power that u rejects all these culprits.
    S.M.Asharf, 25, Accountant.

21. eema says:

Qua-id wanted people of Pakistan to be united unlike today and should be initiative !!! he didn’t wanted PAKISTAN to be theoretical state instead he wanted Pakistan to be democratic state. Today’s Pakistan does not have any resemblance to the Pakistan he struggled for or for the Pakistan when he was present !!!If he saw today’s Pakistan, he would rather certainly have not made Pakistan .
    at the end i think we are as Pakistan’s “strength” should stand up for Pakistan’s future. Pakistan is the most beautiful country in the world.Don’t finish the diversity.

Eema Batool 15years.student .China

22. Sardar waqas says:

alas the code of living like a nation is diminishing day by day. Unity , Faith and Discipline are the three slogans which should b practised by every pakistani , only then we will become a great nation.
    SARDAR WAQAS ,chartered accountancy student

23. Hamid Abbasi says:

O!Quaid everything is O.K.here.You preached “UNITY,FAITH,& DISCIPLINE”,We are proudly “DISUNITED,DISINTEGRATED IN FAITH & INDISIPLINED”,What best homage this nation can pay.
    Hamid Abbasi, 72 Charlotte.NC.USA

24. Umaira Sajjad says:

I can’t really say what he would’ve said had he come now. He would’ve never been proud of us.

Nevertheless, what I can say for sure, is that he would’ve wanted us to work hard together and to raise the country out of the current mess.
    Umaira Sajjad, 18, student, Lahore.

25. Ata Tufail Khan says:

Quaid-i-Azam realized in his life that he had “false coins” in his pocket, and had expressed it too. I wish and pray that in his heavenly abode he may remain uninformed about what we (every Pakistani) have done to his Pakistan. The torture of knowing the reality will be too much for the blessed soul to bear!

Ata Tufail Khan, 80 years, Retired life, Lahore.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement