What’s in a venue?

What’s in a venue?

Sindh High Court has denied Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf permission to hold its December 25 rally at Quaid-e-Azam’s mausoleum in Karachi.

According to the policy of the Mazar Management Board, the body responsible for the governance of the mausoleum, holding a rally within the 10-foot radius of the mausoleum is not permitted. The SHC has, therefore, ordered the PTI to contact local authorities for arranging an alternate location for the rally.

In response, the PTI has vowed to file an appeal against the ruling, saying that the Sindh Government had previously granted permission for the rally to be held at mausoleum but changed its stance in the court.

Should the PTI accept the SHC ruling and change the venue of the rally or should it lodge an appeal?

If the appeal is turned down and the PTI is not granted permission to hold the rally at Quaid’s mausoleum, should it change the venue?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

43 Responses to “What’s in a venue?”

1. KY says:

Lets not worry about traffic Jams and all it is for a good cause do it anywhere and the public will come

2. Saqib says:

Two wrongs do not make a right. If by policy its not allowed that people hold a rally in thw vicinity of the mazaar, then the fact that other held it there without permission does not make it right for PTI to do so. For a change, if we are all supporting PTI because its the right thing/party to follow, lets try to do things the right way straight from the begining. Showing your strength without flouting the law or having a disreagrd for rules is the way things have been done till now. Let someone change that by doing right instead of having a victim mentality and going on about how PTI has been wronged.
    If the appeal in the court works, awesome. IF it doesnt, need to find another way to do this.

• Karachiite says:

Well said my friend.

• Nauman says:

I agree with you Saqib to setup the precedence to follow the rule of law, however; there is a lot to be said about the importance of landmarks when it comes to monumental rallies. Symbolism is necessary I believe to get the message through in this case to the masses.

• Agha Ata says:

I FULLY agree with Saqib. Lets establish a precedent for the RULE OF LAW.

• jamal says:

i agree but i think its more political than anything. The awam wants it so the govt shouldnt be a hurdle.

3. khan says:

Like any other party it has the legal right of PTI to hold public rally any where in Pakistan as long as it is not a threat to public peace and security. Sind govt had given permission to imran khan to hold its rally and now they have changed their mind. I think like PMLN, PPP and MQM are scared of PTI’s growing popularity and now they are using cheap tactics to create confusion about the rally.

• Sheeba says:

That’s the point! If Sindh High Court did permit PTI to hold the rally on the QA’s monument at first, then why is it not permitting them now? How can they revert the decision? Its just because of PPP, PML-N and MQM, who are afraid of PTI’s fame!

• Sabeen Khan says:

that’s my point too ! if it were against the policy of the mazaar to hold any jalsa within the foot of the place then why the SHC granted the permission to PTI at first? There is something fishy obviously ! And it’s everyone’s right to file an appeal against a court’s order.

4. Noor Jahan Sattar says:

PTI should not grant permission to hold the rally at Quaid’s mausoleum. 25 December is Quaid’s birthday. They should read Quran on his grave only. Only reading Quran on his birthday. No Rally at all. Whatever happened in past is wrong.

5. Owais says:

Its too late to fight a battle for the venue. PTI can introduce a new trend of choosing a venue for rally in a way that it affects the traffic and daily life the least. Best thing would be to find a big enough place in the outskirts of the city to hold a rally. For e.g., Sands pit, Hawks Bay, Clifton, etc.

6. imran says:

every party without any permission has been holding rallies demonstrations wherever they want. blocking roads disturbing business. this is not fair by any means

7. koogee says:

Nope. There’s nothing wrong with the Venue. Its the political masters of Sindh, who by the way gave permission earlier, using the courts to suppress IK’s movement.

• Abdul Hameed says:

This is all politics.
      If law and order is not matter to hold rally then being a Pakistan National any one can hold rally any where
      in the country.
      The opponents are afraid of Imran Khan Soomani, that is why they are creating hurdles but they will fail as this is the beginning and people are with Imran Khan. I have read some of the comments that it is a Quad Mazar and we should respect the place but sorry to say that holding rally or gathering does not mean that we do not respect that place.
      If we see in the light of Islamic teaching than in Islam building Mazaars are not allowed.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement