Big brother is ‘watching’

Big brother is ‘watching’

Having remained silent on the memogate scandal for the last few months, the United States finally released a statement demanding a fair and transparent judicial process.

US senators have reportedly voiced concern over former ambassador Husain Haqqani’s ‘mistreatment’ in Pakistan. Meanwhile, the State Department’s spokesperson also told journalists in Washington DC that the US believes “it is important for us to speak out, as we do around the world, about an appropriate constitutional and legal process for him and to make clear that we’re watching.”

What effect, if any, will this and similar statements have on the judicial process?

Given the earlier silence, do these statements mean the US is concerned about the judicial process?

Should Pakistan’s foreign office respond to these statements?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

88 Responses to “Big brother is ‘watching’”

1. Harris Khan says:

Well, U.S talks about fairness. What about the Raymond Davis case? It is clear that U.S is not finding any controversies to portray itself as a hero, so it is trying to poke it’s nose in other country’s matter as is seen in Iran and North Korea case.

• Syed N. Hussain, MBA, Ph.D says:

Absolutely thoughtful comments by Harris Khan. It is traditional for US to poke its nose in all things that do not matter to them, first because it helps to detract the attention from US own domestic problems, and second, US Administration is absolutely ignorant when it comes to foreign relations management.

2. sam lee says:

ISI should be thankful to Mr. Haqqani, it is his name which helped soften USA in their approach towards Haqqani Network.

3. WAqarAhmed says:

Justice should appear as justice. Our courts should make decision of merit without being pressurised by internal and external forces. This sort of press release was expected as Mr. Haqqani met the US official before leaving to Pakistan. So USA was expected for his rescue. Our current courts are capable of handling such situations. We should keep silent upon US statement but take it on our record.

4. S.P.Chakravarty says:

Human rights are expressions of universal values, and sovereignty cannot become a defence of maltreatment of citizens by fellow citizens or those who govern their country. It is the right of Pakistani citizens and Pakistani rulers to demand that the world, including the US, should respect human rights. By the same token, it is also the right of US citizens or US governments to express concern about the need for respecting human rights in Pakistan or, for that matter, any other country. It is also the right of Pakistani citizens to demand that their ruling institutions should respect universal rights of citizens, and not hide under the cloak of national interest. Likewise, it is also the right of US citizens to demand that thei ruling institutions should not be above scrutiny to ensure that human rights are not violated in the name of national interest.

All this talk of ‘human rights” by the Western Leaders is sheer nonsense. The West has double standards. Every country in the world without exception is guilty of human violation depending on who is talking. It is an over-used terminology. The UN Human Rights Commission always stands by when human rights are violated in the Western world, or in the Middle East. The only countries that are singled out are those poor African States.
      It is the right of all States to curb, control and punish their citizens who are selling their national interests to the enemies abroad. US is a well known human rights violater and nobody questions them when innocent Muslims are held without a proper show-cause and with no right of an attorney.

• Ashok says:

Human Rights has become the political tool everywhere.
      Let alone UN take care of that.All countries instead of waht is commenting on other countries should address their comments to UN.
      The root cause is that UN is bious.The first duty of all countries is to correct UN before taking care of Human Rights.

5. Hassan says:

What is going on in the court is only 1% of what’s happening in Washington, Islamabad and Rawalpindi.
    The questions at hand are
    1- Will establishment be able to bear US pressure to free their citizen?
    2- Will establishment let HH & AZ off the hook due to US pressure?
    3- Will US sacrifice AZ to save HH or otherway round. It would also clarify who is America’s most precious asset – AZ, HH or the Pak Army itself! US is on damage limitation mission here.

I would be watching with interest as well.

6. Hazoor Elahi says:

One may speculate that perhaps, the memogate was hatched with the clear understanding of US and Zardari government, Hussain Haqqani being go-in-between the two (US and zardari government). It is very sad to see how the Pakistani leadership appeared to be spineless, week and takes dictations from others.

7. Liberal says:

Our Guardians will become reluctant to mistreat him. Even if memo is correct, there is nothing like treason in it.

8. Vijay says:

It is such a sorry state of affair for Pakistan that a talented, patriotic diplomatic is being persecuted. Mr.Haqqani works directly under the civilian PM and did the bidding on behalf of his civilian superiors.

Somehow, anyone who does not serve the army is considered non-patriotic in Pakistan..

Please voice your support to Mr.Haqqani.

• zahoor qazi says:

It is not your business. Look after your own matters

• Zia Khan says:

Utter rubbish. Majority of Pakistanis never approved of his posting as ambassador in USA. We all know what his activities were in America. The people of Pakistan want accountability and supermacy of law. This is a test case that will change the way we look at things. Our judiciary is free and fair. We are proud of our Apex Court and firmly believe that jusice will be served. Your comments about our army are wrong and malicious. We know who is patriotic and who is not.

• Mustafa Razavi says:

Hussain Haqqani seems to have a lot of supporters in India and the US, that doesn’t bode well for his PR.

Vijay it is best to stay out of trying to sing praise of Haqqani. There are many more talented and highly educated foreign servicemen in Pakistan. Haqqani was hand-picked by Zardari and everyone in Pakistan and abroad including US, England, Europe as well as in India knew that Haqqani was anti-armed forces of Pakistan. He could well have been working directly under a covert US conspiracy to bring a rift between the civilian government and the armed forces of Pakistan with a view to destabilize the country. It has become a fashion for outsiders to consider themselves expert on what is good for Pakistan and its people. Haqqani does not deserve support but the people of Pakistan deserve heartfelt support to see that those responsible for selling out the Pakistanis get what they deserve.

• Roger Rao says:

You may be ‘right’, my friend.

Au contraire, please forget the USA and India. It is clear from the responses on this board that the Pakistani Army has much more support than Pakistan’s civilian government. How dare an American or an Indian worry about Pakistan’s democracy?? So – no worries, my friend – “We Pakistanis will worry about our democracy only when the Americans and Indians do not worry about us”.

What I would suggest is the following: Regardless of whoever makes a statement (in this case an “American” or an “Indian”), so long as the statement supports what Pakistanis want to do for themselves, why would you take action that shoots you on your foot? What may not not bode well for Pakistan is the self-righteousness implicit in the comments of the many on this board – which blinds you from doing “good unto yourselves”. Even if true, what Hussain Haqqani might have tried is exactly what every other Pakistani government has been trying to do with or without a memo – and that is to seek International support for a “disenfranchised society”.

I think it may perhaps make more sense for the “International community” to ask themselves – “what do Pakistanis REALLY want?” And if the “International community” really knew the answer to that question – it would be stupid on their part not to give to the Pakistanis “what they want”. So, my friend, is that “what you want”?

Roger

9. Qureshi says:

Mr USA mind your own business, we the brave and vigilant Pakistanis have complete TRUST and FAITH in our judiciary. Haqqani had been your man as he contributed in the C/Lugar Bill and got inserted provisions so why you may not be WATCHING the handling of Haqqani. He is a journalistic playboy and can well use his tongue; there is something wrong at the bottom in the memo-gate.

• Abdullah Khan says:

Who gave you the mandate to declare trust and faith in the judiciary?? As a listener that is not what I am hearing there are very mixed views.

Qureshi is right in demanding that US stop interferring in Pakistan’s judicial issues. Abdullah Khan has perhaps not lived in the United States or in Europe otherwise he would also be saying that no American citizen categorically vests his full faith and trust in US judiciary system either. Maybe Abdullah you are not listening very well. There may be no faith and trust in the judiciary in Pakistan but people are simply fed up with everything rotten that is going on there. PPP leadership and of course PML-N or any other party has a clear manadate when it comes to governing the country.

10. Ghalib says:

As for the Memo scandal it is quite frankly blown out way too much.

And as for USA mind your own business.

I quiet frankly blame most of the Pakistan media for all the Bad publicity, and we as public also watch those news channels, which frankly we should not, I think I can’t name them here, but we all know them so please stick to these balanced news channels / papers.

• Sayef Hussain says:

I sometimes feel very sorry, and sometimes feel strange for us Pakistanis, and nobody else! A memo has been allegedly written against ones’ own country, own (nuclear/strategic) institution/s, own military, and without making some quite factfinding, without trying to find the truth, and if any truth is found then to find out the real character behind this type nefarious designs for any sort of personal aggrandizement, many of us believe that, this is a simple run-of-the-mill event, and should be better left alone or buried somewhere in the backyard.

In fact, when a nation’s ‘ghairat’ is kept limited only to honours in family matters (resulting in honour killings) and beliefs and followings of certain firkah etc, and lots of blood shed can be done on such petty issues with impunity, then to understand national ‘ghairat’ on such issues becomes to very big things to be understood by us!!

11. faisal majeed says:

its a consequence of our leader’s conventional crippling dependence for their selfish gains. our politicians must learn a lesson from this and clean their own house first

12. Jeronimo says:

Mr USA lets talk of fair trials shall we ?????????????????????????????????????

Guantanomo Bay how many trials have you had ???????????????

And the rambo raymond davies he got a fair trial did he not ??????????????????

When will Mr USA stop kidnapping the citizens of other countries ?????????????????????????

Unlike Mr America, Pakistan can still be proud to have world class leaders who actually believe in rights of others.

13. bilal says:

This is a highly personal matter for Pakistan as to what biz its diplomats are up to in their assigned countries. By issuing such statements the US has in fact stated that the judicial process till date it not transparent which in effect is criticizing the highest court of law consisting of 11 members as its bench. Our court can ask for an explanation from the US for this contempt. If the court does not take notice of this comment of watching then for sure they have been threatened with assassination by the the US which is very easy for the US because of the large number of black water chaps running around the country.

Haqqani is being protected by the president and the prime minister so that he doesn’t get into the wrong hands and start spilling the beans and if he is in danger from any its from the person on whose behalf he wrote the memo. Haqqani is really under danger and can be silenced for ever to save the real faces behind this scandal.

• Eddie says:

It is amazing that Pakistanis can reduce, to such negative terms, the simple comment from an ally that it is “watching” them with their prosecution of the former ambassador to the US Somehow this watching becomes an insult and contempt for the courts. While in the same comment the writer believes that It is possible that the ambassador now in Pakistan could be silenced forever…that is exactly what the US will be watching to see.

The Supreme Court of Pakistan must and should demand that US Administration not influence or, coerce Pakistan, or support Haqqani matter as this is deemed to be inteference in Pakistan’s internal affairs. Haqqani has betrayed the trust placed in him by the Supreme Council of People; he has acted in the interest of PPP, and not the State of Pakistan. If proven guilty, he must be punished regardless of his education or interest in the US.

• Mustafa says:

Mr. Hussain, you claim to have MBA and Ph.D Degrees but you have not learnt that you cannot pass judgment declaring Husain Haqqani guilty before a Pakistani Court of Law pronounces him guilty.

14. Syed Ali says:

Who is US to interfere in our internal affair. Right time for the Political leaders to unite and give a strong response to uncle SAM to keep his nose out of our internal affairs. Pakistan is a sovereign nation I will request the ISI, Pak Army , Judiciary and all political leaders to please strongly condemn this US interference in our country’s affair. Get out USA before you loose more in this part of the world.

Syed Ali’s request is valid and deserves merit. The Supreme Court of Pakistan must and should demand that US Administration not influence or coerce Pakistan, and or support Haqqani matter as this is deemed to be inteference in Pakistan’s internal affairs. US certainly has no right to interfere in matters of Supreme Court of Pakistan. Wake up Pakistani civil servants, and all patriotic and consecientious Pakistanis. If this type of interference is not stopped now, US Senators and Administration will start to interfere in every Pakistani’s bedrooms at some time, and start preaching how to live in a morally-degraded fashion.

15. Mona says:

Why does the US have to poke its nose in the internal affairs of sovereign countries is beyond me. Is it good diplomacy to issue provocative statements?

16. Abdul Khaliq Meno says:

Mr. USA mind your own business.

17. Masood Naqvi says:

Our country system is so obviously partial and anti-civilian that civilian have to depend, for getting justice, on world powers to stand up in their support.

• Amjad Wyne says:

Wrong – what system are you talking about. This is the same system that gave civilians their power – elected them and put them in the office. The civilians need to deliver. You ask others to stay in power becuase you have nothing to show to the ones that elected you – simple a s that.

18. NJ says:

Just tell the “big brother” to mind it’s own business!!!!

The United States (big brother to Haqqani) must be told not to interfere in our domestic issues. Why the sudden love for Haqqani so suddenly when US is known to be anti-Muslims on other issues?

19. Shabir says:

Starngely enough – the report about the President asking for American help was in wikileaks almost a year ago- long before memogate.
    So why is Haqqani being persecuted ?

20. Alvah Buckmore says:

So the United States has demanded a “fair and transparent judicial process.”

When I read that statement, it was genuinely difficult for me to avoid laughter. I have extensive experience with our judiciary system in the United States and not once did I receive a level playing field when the defendant was the United States.

In every instance, without an exception, the defense attorney for the United States Government would argue nonsensically and, in spite of my rebuttals, the judge would always side with the United States Government.

I ran precisely into the same problems with my appeals to the Supreme Court of the United States.

I even have the experience of a Chief Justice trying to intimidate me.

In time, I discovered that the Attorney General, responsible for representing the Government, would communicate with the judge(s) behind my back to order the judge(s) to rule in a particular way.

Hence, I never had any level playing field in my fight.

Where was the United States “fair and transparent judicial process” for the many Muslim prisoners held on suspicion in detention without the due process of law? The fact that United States which is totally anti-Muslims, and treats them badly suddenly has risen to demand “fair and transparent judicial process” for this Muslim? Seems to me that Haqqani was working for the Americans and therefore the “master wants to defend his servant” before more secrets of US involvement leak out.

21. malik says:

This person should never have been in that position to represent Pakistan as he is a dual national

• Alvah Buckmore says:

Malik, what on earth is wrong with a person being a “dual national?”

Perhaps you are showing your prejudice of certain people? If so, then that would immediately disqualify you from discussing this subject.

Alvah the problem is one of “divided loyalty”. A person with dual nationality must not be given sensitive posts in or outside the country for fear of being either manipulated or coerced by either states of which he or she is the national.

22. Jamal Anjum says:

The ‘memo’ is under the telescope of the highest judicial authority, Supreme Court of Pakistan. A lot seems to be at stake. Parties involved are not only individuals but the Governent of Pakistan, ISI and the CNC are respondents/applicants in the cases before the honourable court. The United States of America has kept silence for quite some time about the matter. Given the sensitivity and the importance of the matter where in one way or the other the USA seems to be involved, they were conspicuus by their silence. Admittedly, the first part of the US statement is usual as they have said so in the statement itself. What is worrying and unacceptable is …… and to make clear that we are watching.” There seems to be a veiled threat. They appears to be saying something in between the lines. If Haqqani or anybody else is found guilty by a Pakistan Court he or they would or should be punished according to the land of the law in whjich the US or any other country has no right to get involved. A proper statement by the Government of Pakistan in this matter would be proper and justified. Jamal Anjum

23. aazee says:

Oh yes, so the US is watching what goes on with their MAN in Islamabad, that it self is a self incriminating statement!! What interest does US have in Hussain Haqani and it is a direct interference in a sovereign country’s affairs. Yes Pakistan believes that Hussain Haqani is a traitor working for foreign powers interests, just like Dr Afridi played ROLE in OBL operation by concocting a fake vaccination program, Haqani has done the same, somehow both are now being brought under the Justice System of Pakistan. If the US could send the Jewish Couple who sold the Nuclear Bomb secrets to Soviet Union, why can these two individuals be sent to gallows for committing treason against our motherland

All these comments by the readers must be taken seriously because there is a valid argument in each. Pakistanis are tired of some Pakistanis selling their country to foreign powers for their own agenda. Except for the founder of PPP, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, the rest of the PPP has done more damage to Pakistan than any political party. US has to be told in no uncertain terms to stop interefering in Pakistan’s domestic judicial system. It was the US along with PPP that gave support to bring the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court back in power. So why cry now? Let the Supreme Court decide now.

24. Shahzada says:

Mater is subjudice and should not be commented on by internal or external media, organizations and governments. Concerns that it may not be fair are prelude to something else.

25. Jamshed says:

It proves that he was their lackey and useful for them instead of for Pakistan. They probably too know that the memo is real and heads will roll once proven. This unfortunately will be a blot of “democracy”, though unfairly as democracy does not tolerate anti-national activities.

Even Jamshed is correct in his assessment and conclusion. Haqqani must be working for US interests rather than Pakistan’s. He is not ” Col. Oliver North – the fall-guy” but he must have some links with all the three US Senators who are known for their anti-Muslim stance. To use the American terminology, if something walks like a duck, smells like a duck, acts like a duck, thinks like a duck, then a duck it is, no doubt. If the American Administration is showing a sudden concern for Haqqani then he must mean something to them, because the Americans do not like Muslims. Washington is a hot-bed of large-scale conspiracies worldwide.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement