Will the silent majority speak up?

Will the silent majority speak up?

Karachi was once again set on fire on Tuesday when Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) said that some armed men entered the house of Mansoor Mukhtar, a member of the party’s PIB sector committee in PIB colony and shot him to death.

The early morning attack also led to the death of the victim’s brother Maqsood Mukhtar who was earlier injured in the firing and later succumbed to his wounds.

The statement issued by MQM alleged that elements of the Lyari gang-war were responsible for the incident. The MQM demanded that the president, prime minister, chief minister and other authorities ensure that those responsible for the attack, be arrested and brought to justice.

The MQM Rabita Committee condemned the killing of its activist and announced a day of mourning all across the province.

However, what we see in the city, and in other parts of the province is not an environment of silent mourning, but instead a battlefield of angry citizens who are bent upon destroying public property and pick up weapons as a way to display their rage at the situation.

Regardless of which party is targeted or which political activist is killed, what we always see happening is the suffering of the common man. The common man who is thrown of a bus which is set on fire. The common man whose exams have been cancelled and university sealed. The common man who becomes a prisoner is his own home because all he can hear outside his window are gun shots.

Be it a politically motivated killing or the energy crisis, it has become a sad reality in the country for people to demonstrate their anger by destroying public property and perpetuating mayhem among the masses. But how does that ever solve anything?

Have you been a victim of this chaos? Do you have any information from your area to share with us?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

83 Responses to “Will the silent majority speak up?”

1. M.ALÎ says:

Assalam o alaikum

We have to think about as
    Allah Pak Mentioned in Quran pak and Poet Iqbal Discribed in His poetry that:

“Khuda Nay Aaj Tak Us Qoum Ki Halat Nahee Badlee…!

Na Ho Jis Qoum Ko Khud Apni Halat K Badalny Ka Khayal…!

We have to unite against sepration, we r Muslims and pakistan is our Reality. Be united brothers.
    Wassalam

2. Qamber says:

The point is “Who is there for civilians?” in Karachi there is no respect for a civilian.
    Indirect Democracy should now be considered as a failure in a country like Pakistan. Democracy itself is empowerment of people but in countries like Pakistan, Democracy is a curse.
    We can see it clearly that a few politicians and political parties only concentrate to have the biggest land and public grab in their influence (by force obviously) and to stay unilateralist political party in their specific zone…now MQM and ANP are doing what is called “Democratic Struggle”, but the loss is of the civilians, whom are no party to any one.
    We should start thinking that may be this form of democracy is not going to work and should look towards direct democracy

3. Dada says:

The problem in Pakistani society is that everyone is on his own. He tries to make a living through any means regardless of harm coming to others from his actions. There fore when adversary effects him he is on his own and has no option but hide to save his life.

For once we should try to act as a nation not as individuals and stand up against the evil in our society. The answer to all our troubles lies in the unity of common citizen against the trouble makers, terrorists and corrupt whoever they are, bring them out on the street and give them a threshing that would set example for everyone. Do it all over the country people, unite for once against the evil and crush it to save your honour, safety of your children and to save our nation. No one from outside will come to do this for you, act now.

4. akhan says:

Karachi’s civil soceity, business community, media, students and common men should come out and openly protest aganst these barbaric acts of terrorist political parties before it is too late. Stop voting these terrorist parties. Speak, speak and speak. Don’t be scared from these terrorist.

5. Syed says:

Racial hatred is like a cancer in Pakistan. All the leaders are to be held accountable. We are all Pakistanis and above all muslims. What happened to you guys!?!??

6. Ali Eyman says:

This destruction and anarchey is very henious work done by anti state forces,they want to hurl pakistan again in the war like situtions.respective party should not ensure these kind of protests in which there is huge loss of public property and human lives as well.it be silent mourning nt changing it in battle field.

7. Syed Ali says:

I want to see revolution not from the politician but from the people. The peoples revolution in which we can get rid of all the existing politicians.

8. M Masood says:

My dear country fellows,

It is heartening to see Karachi burning since the day Bushra Zaidi died and nothing is change. I had left the Country long ago due to frustrations I feel when meaning less strike hit the City now and then. (I think Pir Shahib has also migrated due to same reason) Wake up City of Karachi and do not vote these people who use such tactics to gain their political agendas not looking at the welfare of people.

9. The violence and absence of law and order will continue as long as we have politicised police. Political parties in power use police to protect their gangs from arrest and provide zero police protection to their opponents. Pakistan has to overhaul its colonial police structure based on 1861 Police Act. Why media does not point this out? You don’t see any article on this subject.

10. MG says:

“Laws are like cobwebs that entangle the weak but are broken by the strong.” – Anacharsis

11. Shafi says:

Why can’t Pakistanis learn about protests from Tunisia and Egypt? If we do, we can also heve a ‘Pakistani Spring’. That is what the ‘common Pakistanis’ should do.

12. Arshad says:

Dear fellow citizens
    It is heartening to see so many people speaking clearly their view points. I would like to question media gurus, who for the entire day yesterday and even today have been providing phenomenal coverage to all the representatives of MQM without even considering the grief, pain and agony of those whose beloveds died or got injured or whose properties were damaged through out the day in the arsenal attacks. MQM on its own part did not show any, even verbal, sympathy with these victims of terror. How to get out of this terror? Only one answer STOP FEARING as fear is the worst curse. As has been said that when God takes over His hand from any nation, he instills a fear (of everything other than God) in them. I, on my part, and like me many others, came to work, worked entire day, and left in the evening. I admit that we were working in secure environment but I travelled more than 16 KM each on both sides in the morning and evening through the problem stricken areas. So my fellow citizens don’t confine yourself to your lounges when terrorists strike rather look them in eyes and faced the harsh realities of life. Only then peace would return to our city. Don’t expect anything from Police or Rangers. Incidents like these and many more to count in the past are clear evidence that they are either working hand in gloves with these terrorist organizations or are running their own smaller groups, with the exception of few.

13. Anwar Amjad says:

The silent majority must stand up against the miscreants using their weapon which is their vote. The people in the communities where the law and order situation is bad must take their revenge by not reelecting their existing representatives in the National and Provincial assemblies. This time when they come to you for your vote then tell them frankly that you will not vote for them because they have failed to provide you the basic need of peace and security at home. If they are so naïve as not to know who are burning cars and buses in their area and stop them with the help of security forces then they should sit back at home rather than contesting for public offices.

14. parmoon shuja says:

If Pakistan’s Interior Ministry can not handle the shameful violence in Karachi, then let the Army handle it.

15. Mustafa says:

This is the problem. You have elected representatives of people who shout in Parliament to speak for people. Then you have self-appointed representatives of various parties shouting in streets to speak for people. Shouters in Parliament acceptable but shouters in the streets must be stopped, if necessary, by force. If anyone wishes to protest about anything, let him/her speak with the elected representative of his/her constituency to solve or resolve the issue. Shouting in streets and inciting people for violence should be outlawed. Yes it may sound breach of freedom of speech but this breach is valid to save lives and property in lawlessness.

16. Hassan Mujtaba says:

We first light fire when gets out of control we run for fire extinguisher. This what we are doing.

17. Imran says:

All these political parties are worthless, especially PPP and MQM. Please vote for PTI and lets hope that Imran proves to be what he claims to be.

• Mustafa says:

Dear Imran, you hope for Imran Khan. Others also hoped for Zardari and Gilani. In what way you are a better “hoper” than other “hopers”?

18. asif says:

You cannot solve a problem with the same thinking that caused the problem
    — ALBERT EINSTEIN

19. A.J.Siddiqui says:

Bane Hein Ahle Hawas Muddai Bhi Munsif Bhi
    Kisey Wakil Karein Kis-sey Munsafee Chahein
    (Faiz Ahmad Faiz)

I am so sorry ! it can not be translated in any other language.

20. CitizenHyd says:

I think this is the fault of us , that we vote to these corrupt parties, what they preach and practice.

21. Usman says:

I think everyone knows that who is behind today’s violence in Karachi. Yet everyone who matters is silent. Until someone at the top speaks up against this odd form of terrorism the masses will need to be pushed further to the edge before they can start making noise.

22. ali says:

Emotions run high in Pakistan, it is a highly charged nation, Any incident can make them explode and this also is the only language that the government it seems understand.Silent protests gets no results. It also benefits the leaders of the protesters who are now on the offensive and they put the government on the defensive and try to get mileage due to the situation.Besides the public has nothing else to do their are no jobs no libraries and no other affordable entertainment as such this activity becomes a favorite pastime.

23. Navaid says:

Asalam Alaikum, Only solution which a common and poor person can do, do not cast vote.

24. Agha Ata says:

There are some people, when they have a hammer; they treat every problem as a nail. Take those hammers away. Why can’t Pakistan be a hammerless (weapon less) society like Japan? Give some more responsibilities to the army, and make the country free of weapons free for a few years at least by taking A L L weapons! Extraordinary results call for extraordinary measures

• Zohaib says:

the solutions to maintain order in Japan does not apply to our Pakistan, cause of One Major Difference: they’re sincere with their fellow nation, and we’re not. The solution that could work for us is to give Weapons to Everyone; Peshawar has considerably less street-crime than Karachi because every other person is Armed

• Bharat says:

Violence begets violence – violent weapons beget violent weapons – and these will always be used.
        It seems that everyone in Iraq has a weapon – and it is still not a peaceful country

• Mustafa says:

Zohaib, good point. I know for fact even Pushtoon women carry rifle hanging on their shoulder under Burqa in North-West Frontier Province. They are brave women, Masha Allah.

• Agha Ata says:

I have been to many eastern and western countries, and I always thought that civilized people do not need arms to remain cvilized.

25. MJKhan says:

Seems you have declared every political party guilty without pointing out real culprit -only one party that started the abominable crime of extortion, coercion.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement