Remembering Rajesh Khanna

Remembering Rajesh Khanna

Bollywood legend Rajesh Khanna passed away in Mumbai on Wednesday, following prolonged illness.

Khanna rose to fame in the late 1960s and would go on to play leading roles in Hindi cinema for the coming decades. He is survived by his film-star wife Dimple Khanna and two daughters, Rinke and Twinkle Khanna.

Dawn.com invites its readers to share their memories of Rajesh Khanna…

What are your favourite Rajesh Khanna movies?

Which of the innumerable classic songs shot on this hero of Bollywood amongst your favourites?

What is that one unforgettable memory of Rajesh Khanna?

How would you like to remember the great actor?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

86 Responses to “Remembering Rajesh Khanna”

1. kamal says:

may late jatin Khanna who entertained many Indians Pakistanis attain peace.
    same with medi hasan the great artist.
    some how the feeling comes that only karachi is able to appreciate and welcome indian talent. Is it historical, urdu ?

2. kamal says:

may late rajesh khanna who entertained all persons irrespective of religion attain peace.
    same with medi hassan the great artist.
    some how i get the feeling that population of karachi only (in pakistan) has valued talented artist from India

3. Ravi Arora says:

I have grown up watching Rajeshji’s filims. Amar Prem brought tears to my eyes during my college days. Indeed
    a touching filim ,no doubt apart from the acting skills of the super star,it was supplemented by excellent music,direction by Shakti Da,and of course Kishore Kumar;s songs.

A few months back I saw Amar Prem on TV and once again I was in tears.

PIP Super Star.

Ravi Arora Mumbai

4. SHERYAAR says:

NO DOUBT HE WAS A GREAT ACTOR BUT I AM SURPRISED TO SEE THAT SO MUCH COVERAGE IS BEING GIVEN TO HIM.. WHAT ABOUT 20000 MUSLIMS KILLED IN BUMRA AND ABOUT 2000 MORE BURNED ALIVE IN AFRICA BY CHRISTIANS. THE WORLD MEDIA IS SILENT BUT AS A SHOCK FOR ME EVEN MUSLIM MEDIA HAS NOT EVEN AIRED A SINGLE PROGRAM ON THESE KILLINGS.. SHAME ON PAKISTANI AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL MEDIA . THIS SHOWS THE CORRUPTION IN MEDIA CIRCLE..

5. Ahmed says:

Great actor has passed. His extraordinary talent and dedication brought joy and entertainment to millions. He will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace and may God give strength to his family.

6. parvaiz says:

Zindagi ka safar hai yeh kesa safar koi samjha nahi koi jana nahi…. i am very shocked he is my fav: one film star anand, amar prem, kati patang, avtar, was best movies.. hum tumhen kabhi nahi bhool saken gay Rajesh Khanna sahab kabhi nahi !!!!!!!!!

Parvaiz Ahmed
    chief Editor. pkpolitix.com

7. kishor says:

great actors film amar prem acting at its best

8. Pramod says:

‘Babumoshai, zindagi aur maut uparwale ke haath hai jahanpanah. Usse na toh aap badal sakte hain na main. Hum sab toh rangmanch ki kathputhliyan hain jinki dor uparwale ki ungliyon main bandhi hain. Kab, kaun, kaise uthega yeh koi nahi bata sakta hai. ..Ha, ha, ha.’

Kaka RIP

9. Madan says:

The film Aradhna has a very erotic song”Roop Tera Mastana…” sung by Kishore Kumar. This song has such strong emotions of love from both Rajesh khanna and sharmila tagore. I think each shot of this 4 minute song is more than 45 seconds long without a break or cut. It is said lady’s used to faint when he just waved out to them and his car used to be fully covered with lipstick by crazy girl fans. My favourite song is “O mere Dil Ke Chein, Chein Aye Mere Dil Ko Dua Kijye…”

10. I.Butt says:

Wo shaam kuch ajeeb thi yeh shaam bhi ajeeb hai, wo kal bhi pas tha meray wo aaj bhi kreeb hai…may god keep his soul in rest !

11. Usman Lashari Karachi Pakistan says:

No doubt he was very good actor, i was shocked when i listen about his death.
    May Allah give patience to his family

12. babu, india says:

Though I have watched lot of his movies, I liked the movie”Dushman” very much for it was so realistic with the natural village atmosphere. Rajesh Khanna played a beautiful role along with Mumtaz and Meena Kumari. Rajesh Khanna’s and Mumtaz’s jodi used to be superb in lot of movies. Rajesh Khanna had a really beautiful and charming face with a unique hair cut which was copied by many in those days.

13. r.s.soni says:

What are your favourite Rajesh Khanna movies? aaaj ka m.l.a

Which of the innumerable classic songs shot on this hero of Bollywood amongst your favourites?hathi mere sathi

What is that one unforgettable memory of Rajesh Khanna? aaradhna

How would you like to remember the great actor a superb entertainer

14. Mushtaq Naik says:

Those who feel other actors were better (Amitabh, Shashi, Dharmendra etc.) should see the song Raina Beeti Jaaye from Amar Prem again and again. It’s a lesson in emoting. Observe the way he silences Madan Puri with a gesture so unique to him and when he sits right opposite Sharmila and listens to the song intently with myriad expressions on his face, you will feel he was an institution when it came to understanding the nuances of each line sung so well by the great Lata Mangeshkar and composed by that genuis R D Burman. In my considered opinion no actor whether current ones or yesteryears would come even close to that heart stopping expressions. What he did in Amar Prem was Devdas personified. There were sequences in numerous other movies which would take an entire book to pen down that were unforgettable. He was too good in his heydays. May his sould rest in peace.

• Sanjay says:

Mushtaq Sahib,
      I couldn’t have said it any better!! I must say your observation of Rajesh Khanna’s expressions and acting is right on. When it came to such emotional expressions and other mannerisms, Rajesh Khanna was second to none. May God bless his soul.

• KDP says:

You are right. Although I watched this song scene when I saw movie twice or so in past I never noticed RK’s emotions mainly because I have a habit of not paying much attention during song sequence. I watched this song on you Tube you are so right.

• KDP says:

You are right. Although I had watched this scene when I saw movie twice or so in past I never noticed RK’s emotions mainly because I have a habit of not paying much attention during song sequence. I watched this song on you Tube you are so right.

• How true, well said. Every gesture, every moment in the movie was defined by him. He was one of the greatest actor and a true icon. We will miss you Khanna Sahib, we all love you. Thanks for giving us the momories of your art. Rest in Peace, till we meet again. God Bless you.

15. M. N. Qazi says:

I was very much shocked ,when I heared about the sudden death of Rajesh Kanna.he was one of among the best actors of sub-continent.He was a geniune actor specially his acting in ‘Aap ki kasam, aradna, Roti, on its peak. But where there is rise there is fall. I misssssssssssssssssssss you Rajesh.

16. Saa says:

A part of me died with him. Rajesh khanna, Kishore Kumar and R.D. Burman defined the 70’s. We grew up watching his movies but will always remember him for the beautiful, melodious songs of incomparable Kishore Kumar. Style, mannerism, music and romance; thats Rajesh Khanna for you. Thank you Kaka for the beautiful memories of a simpler times of a by gone era.

17. Saqib says:

Maein Shayr Badnaam, hooo Main Chala hooo Main Chala. RIP Rajesh Khana!

18. Imtiaz Ahmed says:

Great fan of Rajesh Khanna. Love his Mere Sapno Ki Rani Kab Aye Gi Tu
    Have been singing this one a lot on karaoke
    pretty well.
    He was a very talented artist and shall be missed!

19. Tariq says:

Zindagi ek safar ha, kal kia huga kis na jana. He lived his life to full and left us with great collections of his movies and song. He is gone and will be miss but left us with his golden memories for ever.

20. Gagan says:

Yes,Loss of rajesh khanna is indeed such that it cannot be described in words. Though I generally keep my grief to myself and never ever allow tears to come to my eye.But rajesh khanna demise made me burst in to tears.His evergreen movies like “aradhana” ran houseful in 1987, even after 20 years of its release in my city.I remember once his movie “safar” was aired on doordarshan,in india.At that time,movie used to be aired with one interval time,generally news during that interval,but that movie “safar” had two intervals on that day.so it went very late at night.Not even a single person moved away from his seat, until the movie was complete. So great was his acting.Anand was also a memorable movie.Everybody was touched by his innocence of a Lymphosarcoma patient.He has left a great void for bollywood as well as for his fans.May his departed soul RIP. and condolences to bereaved family.

21. Mark says:

Nafrat ki duniya ko chhor ke….pyar ki duniya mein…….khush rehna mere yaar…..

22. Anand Jha says:

Every good thing comes to an end and so it is an end of en era. It completes the trio of Kishore Kumar , RD Burman and Rajesh Khanna in the other world, may be people there wanted to enjoy their talent as well.They will never die as they were GOD Gifted to us with a mandatory return policy.

• ali wadood says:

Rajesh Khanna was a remarkable actor, and when Kishore Kumar used to sing for him, it was hieght of entertainment for me.

23. R.I.P. Rajesh

The Super Star Rajesh Khanna was seen speaking a sher in IIFA awards;
    log on to this page

http://youtu.be/jkH9REZfHnc

24. M. RAFIQUE ZAKARIA says:

I grew up seeing Rajesh Khanna in “Haathi Mere Saathi” and his other films that followed. Truly ‘Super Star’. It is after his death that his fans including me have come to know his real name JATIN KHANNA. Bollywood will always miss him.

M. RAFIQUE ZAKARIA
    Karachi

25. Rajesh Khanna was a great actor and he will be remembered forever.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement