Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool on the streets of Pakistan

By announcing ‘Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool’ on Friday, the Pakistani government has absolved itself from any responsibility towards its citizens – letting chaos prevail throughout the cities. This public holiday had been called out to pacify the masses apparently, but if anything, the scene on the streets of the country is doing anything but pacifying us… instead it seems to be terrorising us further.

Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool had been intended to mark a day to observe, declare and demonstrate love for the Holy Prophet (PBUH). What we see since morning instead is the burning of cinemas and toll plazas, mobs clashing with police and incidents of looting and plundering. How do these acts display love – love for the Prophet?

Was this day really meant to observe religious sentiments or does it have more to do with political gimmicks – more so, allowing the criminals to have a field day.

While some remain holed up inside their homes, others take to the streets shouting slogans, carrying sticks and stones. No message of peace being delivered today – instead every scene seems to exude violence and intolerance.

The army was called in Islamabad to protect the domestic enclave after protesters broke through a barrier of containers set up by police to block a road leading to the area. So the army is protecting the domestic enclave, but who is protecting the common man on the street?

What would have been the correct way to observe this day and what kind of protests should have been carried out?

Did the government take the right step by calling for Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool – and if it did, does it have no responsibility towards what goes on in the streets of Pakistan today?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

162 Responses to “Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool on the streets of Pakistan”

1. Humanist says:

Whenever religion will be given importance, it will create a civil war, destruction and mass-murder. If Muslims don’t like a particular film, book, or cartoon etc., they should refuse to see the film, boycot the book, refuse to read the particular newspaper; or go to the court and legally proceed against such publication. However, reacting as criminals and murders or destruction does not prove Islam to be a true religion, or religion of peace, however, on the contrary… we are living in a country where Democracy-Govts declares Protest days for violemce and the elected minister who announce million dollars for illegal murders instead of processing the case in the courts of law, What shame … !

2. ali ahmed says:

the PPP govt. surrendered to the fanatic by declaring friday as holiday…when people like osama qadri,hafis saeed,malik Ishaq become our national hero and coverage given by media…and one day govt.may also award them with some medals..we should expect more trouble

3. Ahmed says:

Im an american pakistani after seeing all this carnage in pakistan my white american boss said to me
    If only we had known that a low budget movie could bring destruction to pakistan we would have not spend millions on drones

• A Khan says:

Why only a low budget movie, a teddy bear, a remark, a cartoon, blink sends Muslims into a frenzy. Just goes to show how insecure Islam really is.

• Imran says:

Correction; Islam is not ‘insecure’………it is the Muslims who are.

In one of the telecast recently of Amir Khan’s show, someone rightly pointed out that so often mentioned 72 sects are NOT of the religion, but of the muslim population.

• Yawar says:

Islam is not insecure because the Almighty Himself is its protector

4. Muslim says:

Unfortunately, day by day Islam is becoming a bigger threat to Pakistan and Pakistanis. In the name of Islam we are losing our common sense that was already too little to celebrate.

5. Safia says:

By declaring a public holiday to observe Yum-e-Ishq rasool, Pakistani Govt has given an open invitation to all mindless, hypocrit and senseless people to show their “love” for Prophet (p.b.u.h) by way of violence.
    We are becoming slave to the maulvis who themselves are good for nothing. Did any leader from religious parties asked all the protestors to come togather for namaz that day. ? Did any one of them stop any protestor from destroying some innocent man’s property which might have took him years to acquire or built. ? Why these so called religious leaders never protest when Govt or people dont follow our beloved Prophet’s teaching of honesty, good governance, equal distribution of wealth etc etc…
    We are easily insulted by a stupid movie which frankly should not even bother any muslim as are eman should be strong enough.
    Will these so called maulvis reimburse or even think how to compensate for the loss they have made. Only Allah an guide them, because this insanuty is beyond imagination.

6. observer says:

I would blame election season for the problem. The government instead of containing the fall out, joined the bandwagon because it wanted to show to masses that it is not deaf to so-called ‘Islamic’ causes. The government should not have announced a holiday, should not have given a special name of Friday, and should have earmrked a certain, secure area for holding protest rallies. It is not government’s role to incite mobs. They are not elected to office to do irresponsible, popularity-centered acts. Poor show by PM Raja Ashraf. How many more to come? I don’t understand why people condemn USA as a country. Condemn their freedom of speech act and ask for changes in their laws so that freedom of speech (which is a good thing in itself) is not used to hurt others. This is going to take a long time and pressure to build up. In the mean time, Muslims need to send out a message that we don’t depict our Prophet (SAW) in pictures, cartoons, and movies. This is a sensitive issue. So, others should take care of our sensitivities. They can discuss life and message of our Prophet (SAW). To any criticism, responsible Muslims should answer in a more scholarly way and tell the world that life and message of Prophet (SAW) are as great as can be. Giving a savage-like response on the street by un-educated young mullahs is completely unnecessary. This does harm than good.

7. Iqbal khan says:

All those who participated in this ishq e Rasool exercise brought shame to Islam and pakistan ,violated all the rules of being Muslim.Therefore, all these people should be charged under blasphemy laws.

• Ali says:

Lol. Very true. They should all be killed. I offer $100,000 for each one of them killed and I announce this day to be the Yaum-e-Ishq-e-Rasool.

8. abdul gafaar says:

If there is no way to win them, then join them . This is the thinking of our Government – where a minister now fuels the fire by announcing a reward for killing someone and for this he is happy to join forces with the Taliban. Extreme insanity what happened to insaaniat? There is no right way to protest. The best thing that all of us could have done is to ignore this. There are lunatics all over the world , subcontinent not excluded, where pissing on the walls of religious place of worship is common. If we had to kill everyone who did this. The subcontinent will almost be empty. The selective sensitivity suggests that even Allah cannot help us. The problem is that the society is bereft of thinkers.

9. Taxla says:

Muslims once again displayed that they are not part of the world but they own it. Some bottom feeding, gutter mantality misfits in USA pulled some strings and made a third rate movie to antagonize the Muslim community knowing fully well this will make them tear apart their own country and make more enemies than they already have. How will this behaviour explain and benefit the Religion of Peace and Tolerence. As the miscreants expected, killings and maham will reign supreme by the so called peace loving ignorants. What will they do next time and heven knows, there will be next time, explode A.Bombs.

10. Seedoo says:

Muslims in the subcontinent need to learn to be humans before trying to be muslims. Demonstrating Ishaq-e-Rasool in this violent manner that shows total disregard for public property and human life have all the hallmarks of the making of a vicious cult.

Muslims in the subcontinent actually worship their Prophet, not follow his example. They fail to see the sdifference between God and Prophet. I am 100% convinced of this.

• Vgp says:

Why are u equating all of the sub continent with Pakistan. Pakistan is unique Indian muslims do not have any such problems and we are proud of them

11. RHS says:

Shabash Humwatanon. You have proved to the world that Pakistanis are Jaahils.

• Zafar says:

Very well said, i dont know what kind of Ishaq-e-rasool is this? BUt dont worry they will all be burried in this graveyards of ignorance. Unless country is taken out of the hands of these, white, green, black, yellow and red turbans.

12. Hameed says:

I live in west and its makes me laugh, sorrow and feels really bad being from Pakistan and then being a Muslim, we want to do a PROTEST that the image of prophet was insulted wake guys you are lowest on your morals from the get go, Muslim and in Pakistan are killing each other in the name of Politics, Control, Justice, Religion, Money, Power and we call our Muslim and have an Audacity that we are protesting.

As i said its simply wrong, i will end with one question in Qur’an on Its translation where does it say to kill fellow Muslims? or there are some teachings of doing it, i don’t think so .

Practically our mentality is totally flawed and corrupt and we are doing protest wake guys and learn and teach some morals first.

• RPK says:

Hameed, when will you stop teaching / preaching / saying that Quran does not teach a muslim to kill a muslim. Does this imply that Quran says, its OK for a Muslim to kill a non muslim!
      For a Muslim, who is taught, its OK by Quran, to kill a non muslim, he will define “a non muslim” by his own definition. For him, a Sunni / Shia can be a non muslim, an Ahmadiya can be non Muslim, any muslim who does not take part in demostrations is non muslim, a Christian or Hindu can be a non mulslim and etc.
      Let Islam be a religion of Peace and brotherhood for all Muslims or Non Muslims

13. M. Ali says:

This is an excuse to vent anger and frustration of daily miseries. Many problems will go away if we learn to keep religions inside our homes or places of worship. West learned it followed by Orient and then India. Countries with Muslim majorities need to learn this very fast or we will remain at the bottom of the “food chain”.

14. Naeem Qureshi says:

The best way to protest would have been for each one of us to get together and discuss the great character of the Prophet and learn from his example of kindness in response to insult.

We are all gulity of insulting the Prohet by not following his teaching. We have to ask what the Prophet would have done under the circumstances. Killing and burning property I am sure would not have been the response

15. p kumar says:

these incidents prove us asians are less evolved compared to west;if there was a film about jesus nobody would have known about it;in fact americans have made films questioning miracles by jesus

16. Indian Muslim says:

this is how Pakistan is sending the wrong message to non-muslims about Islam. they forget the important rules set by Allah in Quran and but call them add Muslim nations. shame on you.people. because of you we, Indian muslims are suffering. first try to follow Quran then think about other things. its not USA who insulted or prophet more but muslims like you who don’t follow the Quran. Pakistan was separated on the basis of Islam but there is no Islam in Pakistan. i didn’t see any Pakistani girl with hijab. shame on you people. come took India and see how we practice Islam even in non-Islamic environment. i didn’t sere any difference between Indian non-muslims and Pakistani muslims, alcohol, movies, smoking, girls, interest eating is common. how you call yourself as Islamic nation, shame on you. woman can’t be head of state in Islam add she can’t make decisions with other head of nations who are make. but you course benazir butto , it shouted hours Islamic you are. your head of the nation is a shia, it shows how Islamic you people are. notes this kind of behavior in present time shows that there its no difference between you and non-muslims.

• vijay, chennai, India says:

by equating Non muslim Indians with Pakistani muslims, Mr. Indian Muslim is trying to become “More loyal than the King”

17. Iqbal Malik says:

We muslim are doing nothing but marketing for the movie. I don’t understand what our leaders/religious scholars are doing. Why they are not telling to the ummah the right way of handling situation like this.

18. Nadeem says:

Yom-e-Ishq-e-Rasool? Congratulations to those who died! Let us know which part of hell you are burning in ( when you have a minute)?

19. raika45 says:

It may surprise you Pakistanis that when a few thousand Muslims in Malaysia took out a procession to protest the despicable film degrading your Prophet, it had non Muslims joining in.The procession carried banners and raised slogans till it reached the gates of the American Embassy.A formal letter of objection to the film was handed to the Embassy staff.Some verbal objections were also made.At no time was any violence,destruction of private or public property carried out. Let alone death or injuries to the people.All carried out peacefully and yet they made their point.This is called Islam ,the religion of peace.

20. Ahmed Saeed says:

Being a Pakistani I feel ashamed. What kind of respect we have shown to our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). In fact the west now doesn’t require any kind of drones or deadly weapon to destroy Pakistan. They just need to go blasphemous and rest assure Pakistani’s will take care of Pakistan.

21. DharmendraGoel says:

The Yom -i-Ishq Rasool- has hardly any spiritual Pakizgi in it. If one is truly reverential to Rasool one could sit at home or could devoutly perform the dastoor of honest Fazar Namaz and perhaps even kept a day’s Fast , to meditate on his Message.But our Mulla Whipped crazed Crowds only make violent protest against their own homes and public Assets! a strange manner of educating people to show reverence to Rasool D. Goel

22. Khalid Manzoor says:

Well done Pakistani’s in particular and Muslims in general , you have shown how pathetic you are and what sort of vulgar and destructive ishq you have shown towards one of the greatest reformer of rumen race. You are not an umma but a crowd of rowdy hooligans, at least most of, when I read the news of your carnage and destruction I shudder. If any one have committed great harm and insult to Islam it is most of you.
    Wake up and don,t destroy your own property, means of transport above all your own people and collective esteem if you had any.

Ishq -i-Rasool is to be the best human being in the society so that other people see you with envy and try to copy you. Hikmat is the world often used and do you think your ignorer illiterate and brainless so called Muslim leaders know about it , for god sake don’t fellow.

23. Sal says:

Government should not have given into the extremist elements and declared a holiday with which various groups could recruit people to create mayhem while the Police and military are stretched. The government of Pakistan is giving in more and more to these groups, soon what will the purpose of the government be?

24. yusuf khan says:

The Govt, of course a failure syndicate, just wanted to divert issues, so a holiday to protest and destroy everything which comes in your way. Does this prove that Islam always has force and destruction associated with it. How can Muslims now profess that Islam is peaceful. Shame on all the jahils who knowingly or unknowingly spread a wrong message to the world.

25. Khan Mohammad says:

Yesterday what happened in our country what was that. were we showing our love with our prophet. Riot Bank looting, vehicles were torched, markets were vandalised, this is not the sunnah of our prophet.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement