Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool on the streets of Pakistan

By announcing ‘Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool’ on Friday, the Pakistani government has absolved itself from any responsibility towards its citizens – letting chaos prevail throughout the cities. This public holiday had been called out to pacify the masses apparently, but if anything, the scene on the streets of the country is doing anything but pacifying us… instead it seems to be terrorising us further.

Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool had been intended to mark a day to observe, declare and demonstrate love for the Holy Prophet (PBUH). What we see since morning instead is the burning of cinemas and toll plazas, mobs clashing with police and incidents of looting and plundering. How do these acts display love – love for the Prophet?

Was this day really meant to observe religious sentiments or does it have more to do with political gimmicks – more so, allowing the criminals to have a field day.

While some remain holed up inside their homes, others take to the streets shouting slogans, carrying sticks and stones. No message of peace being delivered today – instead every scene seems to exude violence and intolerance.

The army was called in Islamabad to protect the domestic enclave after protesters broke through a barrier of containers set up by police to block a road leading to the area. So the army is protecting the domestic enclave, but who is protecting the common man on the street?

What would have been the correct way to observe this day and what kind of protests should have been carried out?

Did the government take the right step by calling for Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool – and if it did, does it have no responsibility towards what goes on in the streets of Pakistan today?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

162 Responses to “Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool on the streets of Pakistan”

1. Karachi Wala says:

By declaring a public holiday the Govt. has set a very dangerous precedence. What we are witnessing across country is anything but Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool. On Pakistan Government’s part it appears to be Yaum-i-Please/appease-Mullah/Mob. Pakistan government should have instead requested all Govt. employees to wear a black arm band to register a protest. Can someone tell me once the mob is out looting and burning in the name of Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool, how government can control them? In this case, the Government is playing the part of the enticer.

• ram says:

Politician take advantage on everything.
      They will sell kiths for publicity.

May be it was to avoid looting/killing shopkeepers

2. Syed Rizvi - Houston, USA says:

Perhaps the Pakistani Ministerial Cabinet and not to talk about the Prime Minster himself are so stupid to announce such a public holiday to protest this vulgar trailor of un-presidented movie against Allah(s) most Holy and Masoom Rasool! It was simply a political move by the PPP to gain support from masses on the street.

However, loving our Rasool does not require show of strength by destroying properties of Pakistanis citizens and government. Well that should have been expected by those great Cabinet members of elite class! SHAME ON YOU.

May Allah(s) give COMMON SENSE to all on the streets in Pakistan. INSHALLAH

3. Well done Pakistani brothers, you have practically proved to the world what they feel about Islam and Muslims.

4. tayyaba ali says:

youm e ishq e rasool saw was announced on 21 september to pacify masses and to condemn that movie but it has turned form its path of non violence.burning of cenimas ,toll plazaz cannot show our love for prophet(saw)…….!!!!!!islam is religion of peace and our beloved prophet (saw) is massanger of peace……..the sole purpose of observing the day was to show that we as a nation condemn that movie………..so do not burn cinemas,toll plazas etc as they belong to our country which is already suffering from many problems!!!!!!!!!

• umer says:

Oh yeah. Its a religion of peace.And Muhammud is its messenger. How come majority of Muslims and thousands of Imams misunderstood the peace message given by the messenger. Are we the ‘peaceful’ minority in denial of the actual message given by the messenger?

5. Syed Umar says:

This is the respect these people are giving to the beloved Prophet (PBUH). These are some people of Pakistan where they just want to trash the image of Islam and the country. They are being used by the politics of the us government. Why they have to damage innocent people properties in there own home country? Why can’t they do it peacefully.

• Dr.Kamar Afghan says:

This is sensible reaction from a sensible person.The people like Syed Umar are a silent majority.Is it the way to protest this “Yaum-Ishq-i-Rasiool in a way that our volatile people who become so violent and start killing their own people and damage their own national assets.It does show that people all over Muslim countries do not think before they act.Why they were responsible when a journalist from private channel ARY was shot dead in Peshawar, while he was inside his vehicle.He was a young man of 45years of age who has left a widow and children behind.Is it Islam that teaches you this ?.What did these people gain from killing an innocent person who was doing his duty .I am sorry Muslims all over the world do not have any tolerance and consistently show this behavior which is anti-Islamic.

Al-Quraan says killing one human being is true of killing the whole community despite their faith,whether they are MUslims or Non-Muslims at all but they are human beings and are our God’s creation.One human being killing another human being has no God given right to take life of another human being.Is this going to change American attitude towards Islam-the answer is never ever,on the contrary these Muslims are acting to American expectations as they set this trap up and get the desired results.

If one has to protest then there are many different ways of making a protest.t makes Muslims look fools show this behavior.I do blame the agent of theas Muslim countries all over Muslim Umma.All of them appear to have vested interests in the west and they are being used in these activities.

• gagan hindu says:

i think that by doing this all muslims plays to the hands of provokers ,,, the problem is these people r too sentimental,, there are other also that u can show ur emotions, by doing these types of acts u only shows how weak u r internally

• Hameed says:

I agree 100% as i said below we have mo morals and leaders and this what a nation of Arrogant people do if Prophet would have to appear now i think he will face a worst nation what he did 1400 years a go and a Muslim nation who were born Muslims, no knowledge of religion at all, what they hear they follow and to top it of the totally illiterate people leading our Mosques and Madressa etc IE mean real world knowledge and Islamic knowledge .

• Keti Zilgish says:

If Muslims want to show to the world that they are Muslims one of the places they could sensibly begin is by abolishing the death penalty. Where death penalty is concerned, Saudi Arabia and Iran have proven to be the most blatantly hypocritical violators of what is commonly referred to and understood as Islam. I being, being born to Muslim parents, would prefer if what is commonly referred to as Islam is changed to reflect more accurately the ground-realities at least for the past 14 centuries but preferably ever since Abraham because that would help too in the desperately required peaceful weaning from Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism.

• kar says:

Dr. Afghan talks about American attitude and expectations. The only attitude that I have seen is bafflement that people are dying because of a movie nobody had heard of nor seen nor care about. This is not an American “trap” nor a plan or design.

if you come to America you will see how Muslims and others are fairly treated in jobs, Govt. services, etc. Discrimination based on religion is against the law in all public areas of life including employment, housing, public access, etc. and these laws are enforced vigorously.

There are laws that make special concessions to individuals religious beliefs, etc., however the Govt. cannot enforce any specific religious belief, even Christian ones. For example, if a religious Muslim wants to pray four times a day, the company where he works must provide reasonable accommodation to that request, etc.

• kamaljit Singh says:

Salam Dr Kamar.

6. iqbal Khan says:

………..and this is what we call is ishq e rasool.

7. rty says:

Why do Pakistani behave like animals????

• Yokwe Maqbul says:

Unfortunately, we hear some of the teachings of Quran, but not all. How many of us read the whole book? The jihad ayaat are picked to justify hatred. Why not teach and read all the ayaat about loving our fellow man? What about the ayaat about loving our enemies? What about the ayaat that teach us to treat all men as equals? what about the ayaat that tell us to lay down our lives for others? What about all the ayaat about how Allah loves us?

• vvd says:

Kindly do not insult the animals.Have you ever seen the animals act foolishly.

• Syed says:

What do you mean ‘like’ ?

• M Khaleeq says:

Animals can only behave like animals?

8. infedel says:

blame for this goes squarely on the society. why is it that when any issue on religion comes up we forget logic and let some bearded person control us, im sorry but this is the fault of the people and one which we cannot blame our present government. we try to be champions of faith but we live in a country devoid of any faithfull

• NASAH (USA) says:

“blame for this goes squarely on the society” — NOT at all — here the BLAME for this goes entirely on the shoulder of the PPP in general and on Rehman Malik in particular — for conjuring up this crazy idea of a ‘ National Holiday’ of Ishq-e Rasool” — as a day of when the entire population of Pakistan — stops work — and goes on the streets to protest a trashy video — with murder mayhem rioting, burning and looting to commemorate Pakistan ‘love’ for the prophet of Islam?

9. Usman Sultan says:

This entire protesting is silly. The “film” is a badly made set of badly acted pieces badly put together. It is frankly unwatchable and wouldn’t have been noticed if not for the controversy. The best way to protest this is to make a counter film showing the truth and releasing that on youtube. Beyond that, it’s better to ignore it completely. There is no point of rioting, not even for a march — it is not worth this.

let’s not call it a film,just a clip of bad acting. And then ignore it

• Anant Singh says:

Man, I sincerely hope that there are many, many more people in Pakistan than those insane ones on the streets. Very well reasoned and said, brother.

• Confused about Islam says:

Respect Usman. This is the reason i still cudnt figure out the real Islam. But i feel the real Islam is what was practised by my childhool pal Usman , what i see now in Shaik, my another friend. They are God fearing , honest (to wife ,to family , to humanity), sincere to argue about real meaning of Quran shareef. Please bring back the old glory of Islam. thanks

• Raja says:

The film ought have been ignored with contempt it deserves. By causing mayhem and chaos in our own country, we have now given ammunition to others to provoke Muslims to hurt themselves more.

• H L says:

Very nice idea.
      This is the way of Prophet (PBUH).
      Answer with respect and honor.

• muslimah says:

Right on!

• Citizen says:

Its heartening to see reason among people. You bolster my faith in respect for people.

10. Kamran says:

The decision to announce a holiday was a wrong one. There is no need to halt education, business, office and transport. Whole country has wasted one precious day. It was not a “A Day in love of Prophet” but turned out to be “A Day of Law Breaking”.

“Devoted Muslims”, instead of throwing stones, setting properties ablaze and killing security personal should have spend their time and money to increase their knowledge about Islam and should have given a logical reply to criticism about prophet. Better was to ignore a low quality movie.

Sadly, not only common Muslims in Pakistan but (many if not all) scholars are void of logical thinking and propagation in best of manners.

11. tango says:

Is this ishq i rasool?

• vvd says:

Yes.Pakistani style.

• abc says:

yes. for the love of our beloved phophet, the long due unislamic things like cinemas are shut down for good. i wish all the unislamic things are closed for the love of our beloved prophet, and I’m sure, after that all our troubles will be gone, as we will be able to tread on the path of rightiousness without any unislamic distractions.

• Frd says:

the world existed before Islam and would continue without it.

It’s up to the adherents of Islam not to be distracted, and for Islam to be advanced peacefully, not for the world to be changed by physical force.

12. Syed Iftekhar Ahmed Bukhari says:

Our dear beloved prophet (PBUH) taught us to love; bring peace to the world; not exploit others; accept our differences and join together as a people; put others interest ahead of our own; always speak the truth irrespective of the personal and financial cost and to show a high moral chracter to the world so that people may ask who are these people of such high character and what makes them so. Yet we kill each other over differences of oppinion; are selfish in the extreme not seeing the less fortunate in our societies for what they – share holders in the wealth Allah (SWT) has bestowed upon us; we lie and back bite; we allow the less fortunate amongst us to be exploited, not raising our voices lest we suffer some hurt as a result and we cause corruption and distruction on Allah (SWT) earth without thought to the consequences and the perception of Islam that generates. And yet we call ourselves muslims, followers of the prophet (PBUH) and his admirers – who are we fooling?

13. dr vimal raina says:

I wonder if a man can be held responsible for blasphemy for not participating in the the protests, can the army not be called blasphemous for beating these people up?

14. Sadaf Ali says:

How can love for our Blessed Prophet turn us wild – is a big question??

Maybe our protests are just to gain ‘ noble image’ in the eyes of our fellow brothers and the remaining

world! Showing disrespect to our fellow brothers under the banner of respecting Rasul- ironic, indeed!!!

One way to beat the enemies would have been to stop using McDonald’s, KFC for a week.

Lets beat their economy down

• efaz says:

its so easy for pakis to show aggression and they want to take their anger out because cheating, stealing, killing are easy to do in the daily life.

eating fast food is bad anyways.

bottom line here our people are Jahil and someone needs to educate them.
      most of the people read Quran but the language we choose that is beyond our understanding. We leave the commonsense to MOLVIEES. And molvees interpretation we have seen recently.

15. khalida says:

The only correct way to obseve this day was to stage a sit in protest where the whole day durrod-e-pak should have been recited. I am getting gose bumps just thinking what ambience it would have been created had thousands of people had gathered to do so. why have we restricted milads to be held only in the month of Rabi ul awwal. our religious leaders have failed this time exposing their vested interests of getting votes merely on the pretext of being religious. They should have been the one to initate Milads if they can held jalsas and long marchs why not Milads at this time . When we have been shown and taught the way to show our love and respect for Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) by Allah Almighty himself in way of durrod shareef then why invent our ways to do so.

• Secular Paksitan says:

I disagree. The day should have spent working hard and going to school. Education will lift you out of ignorace. Not protesting on the streets. Work hard and get ahead in the world.

16. Waqar Saleem says:

Citizens have a right to protest in their own country. If they want to protest in front of the US emabassy, then they should not be stopped from doing so, assuming that the protest is peaceful. That fact that ordinary citizens are being denied this right and access to certain areas in their own homeland is understanably infuriating to them.

In order to prevent the buildup of frustration, the authorities should have preemptively provided the citizens a peaceful way of venting out their frustration and voicing their opinion. In the absence of those, political parties are quick to pounce on the ignorance and volatility of the common folk.

• MAC says:

God knows where you are living. I do not see many peaceful citizens in Pakistan, just go around and see how many violent acts are happening on daily basis. Frustration cannot justify killing of dozens of people. Looting of banks and other property during protests is quite common in Pakistan and this is an insult to Islam and Prophet (PBUH).

• Kamran says:

@Waqar Saleem: When citizens are harassing, destroying embassy property and even killing an ambassador around Muslim world then how can you expect protesters to be peaceful? This barbaric attitude was shown in Pakistan today and previous days when miscreants have killed and injured police officers who were guarding embassies.

“Ordinary citizens” were not denied right to protest. They abused this right by torching public properties, setting cinemas ablaze and rioting. It was a silly move from government to declare a day of protest.

Your comment is far from reality.

17. Irfan says:

This is not the way to show the love to Prophet…. try to make your Pakistan hate free, educated, honest, and terrorism free, that all Prophet wants from you people.

18. Ragu says:

Violent protests are a result of decades of neglect of social order. Politicians have used since hitler days street violence as a leverage. Other entities have used violence by non state militants as strategic assets and as instrument of foreign policy and foreign conflict. Violent street thugs cause more of a shame to a faith than a single criminals insulting documentary. Destroying public property and killing a fellow Pakistani is for sure an act of a mob.

19. Muhammad Yusuf says:

The best way to register protest is by wearing black bands on your arms.

Govt. did the right thing to call it a public holiday because our society is hostage to maulvis specially during Friday sermon when they preach that the only way to prove that you are Muslim is to burn tyres, block roads, close business and attack western embassies.

Unless our society break the hold of mullah’s, these kind of things will happen over and over again!

• Malik says:

Sorry but “giving into” extremists is not doing the “right thing,” it shows their weakness… this is one of the major problems with Pakistan…catering to the extreme elements

20. Kashif says:

Good article.
    1 minor mistake,
    It’s not domestic, it’s diplomatic enclave

21. Yes, well said, but to who they can read and understand this blog will never do that but those who cant read and dont understant this article will dont care of it…

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement