Can the PPP and PML-N make amends?

Can the PPP and PML-N make amends?

Dawn.com invites its readers to debate current affairs in this forum.

The Pakistan Day meeting between PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has led to amiable photo-ops and assurances of mutual respect. But any talk of reconciliation remains tentative, as Sharif has slapped down several conditions. He has demanded the implementation of the Charter of Democracy, details of which can be found here. Although the PPP has expressed its commitment to the charter, the party has stopped short of stating that all its provisions will be implemented in letter and spirit. Other stumbling blocks – the government in Punjab and the electoral eligibility of the Sharifs – also continue to stand in the way of a PPP-PML-N reconciliation.

Do you think the PPP and PML-N can sort through these sticking points and work together? Is Sharif correct in making his interactions with the PPP dependent on the implementation of the Charter of Democracy? What happens if the Supreme Court fails to overturn the Sharifs’ disqualification ruling?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

107 Responses to “Can the PPP and PML-N make amends?”

1. Adnan Khan says:

COD has no constitutional value and will continue have none unless it is discussed, approved and implemented via parliament. It’s an ‘understanding’ between only two political parties while the other major stake holders are on the sidelines. The consent of other players in the parliament must be achieved in the wider interest of democracy and the supremacy of the parliament. This also gives a loud and clear signal that all the agreements that has a potential to impact the common citizen of Pakistan must be pitched in the parliament first instead of the drawing rooms of our feudals.

2. Arsalan Mustafa says:

But I want to add something here that neither charter of democracy nor judicial crisis is the need of people but they need basic necessities of life and all of our leaders have failed to provide that.

3. Arsalan Mustafa says:

Well I think that they all are the chips of the same block, Mr Sharif will not accept any sort of amendments in the charter of democracy, because for overcoming the judicial crisis Nawaz Sharif plays a vital role and now the ball is in his court, so whatever decision would be taken by the PML-N chief Mr Gilani has to accept that because masses are with Nawaz.

But if Nawaz Sharif would see that he will lose people’s sympathy so he will definitely accept amendments in the charter of democracy.

4. Fahad Qureshi says:

My thoughts:

1. Do NOT BAN anything. The west follows a good model, where no one person can suppress the speech of another. The idea is beautiful. So don’t ban anything. The free media is the best thing to happen to Pakistan. It actually gives people the power.

2. PPP is having an identity crisis. Is it the left wing liberal party it say’s it is, or does it exist to serve the whims of one man.

3. The PML-N is on a high after the whole CJ restoration. Nawaz has shown in the past that he is prone to letting power get to him. Maybe he has learnt from his mistakes (I have never heard him admitting to his mistakes). But picking the side of justice did make his party become stronger and more popular, it has yet to be seen if he can tolerate dissent in a free media when he is in power.

4. Finally, the CoD. It’s an interesting point to note that this charter is an agreement between parties which were all in Opposition during our Martial Law days and Nawaz is basing his future co-operation on the implementation of items already agreed upon. But as we all know, political power is the biggest cause for memory loss, and Nawaz will always have the upper hand as he can claim, BB signed this and you are not fulfilling her wishes! The future of the PPP might depend on its implementation now that the Media will hold them to their promises.

5. Ahmed Patel says:

Sure both parties will work together after all the expected US$1.5 billion US Aid can help get them more wealthier. Besides when USA will give other countries will also add to these funds. So why fight? If they fight then someone else will take it and send both parties leaders out of Pakistan.

6. Rai Rashid says:

Some comments made above are very disappointing. Being a Pakistani, i would love to see both PPP and PML (N) work together because both have been voted in by the people of Pakistan. We got rid of a brutal dictator Mr. Musharaf ( thanks to the legal fraternity and civil society).He lied to the whole nation. he lied to the then Prime Minister Nawaz sharif. He lied to the Americans and Western countries. But practically he did nothing to route out the real menace “religious terrorism” groomed the illiterate Mullahs and the Military top brass ( the so called intellecutal pygmies. Pakistan’s success lies only in respecting people’s mandate, political actvism of educated middle class. i am sure that the continuous democratic process will cleans selfish, corrupt and visionless leaders.

7. Ather says:

I have read all the comments on this topic and found this one to be the best representation of what I would want to say.

by ( P. Joseph Raju )

(((( Democracy is not a perfect form of government but it is the best form of government where people can exercise their power as just recently happened in Pakistan. Politicians are invariably corrupt in every society, may be more in one than the other. There is no major advantage with the two party system over multi-party system. A country like Pakistan, the best expression can come from multi-party system because of inherent political differences,uncompromising beliefs and different cultures. Although the two party systems can form stable governments, it can kill new thoughts and hamper great goals.

I commend the people of Pakistan for their outright victory recently over the political dictators. If they keep that spirit and unity, there are answers for so many problems plaguing the country, especially the violence under various pretexts waged by different groups at the cost of the country. People of Pakistan must rise up and throw out all corrupt political leaders who are reigning the country since the Independence. People must abandon the dependence on political families. The power belongs to the people and not to a political family. The actual power must be exercised by the people for the people. Political families must see the best interest of the country than their vested interests which has almost undone the country. All other establishments in the country including Army must facilitate the better governance of the country through people power and then all the people including the establishments will be benefited and the country will be blessed with progress. Then all the people will enjoy liberty and prosperity.
    )))))

Great Stuff Joseph I only hope that the people of Pakistan understand the true meaning of what you have said and other’s like you say in pakistan.

There is no easy way to success, There is no shortcut.

Each step has to be taken one at a time.

8. dr.g.asghar says:

We have seen Pakistani politics.zardari, nawaz, military rulers, all of them serve only the purpose of its grand master..America. America has got money. we have got trouble. common men in street will continue to suffer. Charter of democracy is a piece of paper on which points are written in black and white; but none of our politicians will ever want it to be implemented. it is unending gang of intrests,where only common men through media, politics, heresy are being fooled. things on ground are same and heading towards worse by end of day.
    Do u expect that burning issues of pakistan will get solved once So called CoD is implemented? bull fights over power politics will end after it? will energy be handy to common men? will people earning fixed wages monthly get basic amneties fulfiled like food, shelter, job security once they graduate.. will illteracy ever end? it is a pity from the outset, that a harvard and cambridge graduate should marry to some one who is not paki graduate! is it not end of our time and history?
    Who will implement charter of democracy? fuedal lords? pirs of london? “industrialists” of pakistan? lets just live,wait till last mound of hope is destroyed…. for, we have got nothing to do except watching our pakistan disintegrate…

9. Ibrahim Raja, Stockholm Sweden says:

Nawaz Sharif is straight forward, transparent and very serious to mend de-railed democracy according to the Charter of Democracy signed by both parties. PPPP must show firmness and boldness to fulfil their beloved late Benazir Bhutto’s wish to have real democratic and Islamic Pakistan. It’s beneficial to political parties as well as to the people of Pakistan. I am strong supporter of delivering a robust, dynamic democratic system and so are the people of the Pakistan. My advice is! Win the trust of people by delivering a strong Pakistan through proper democratic system

10. Mohammad talha says:

Unfortunately, it is the end of the road for PPP. They have to fulfill all the tall promises they made and there is no going back on these promises any more. Thanks to media. Indeed if they only concentrate on keeping up the promises, no special effort is required for patch-up. Everything will automtically fall in place once PPP sticks to its words. the entire nation will be behind them if they do so, not to speak of any one party. Unfortunately Mr. Zardari has lost credibility and it seems he will NOT do it and hence an impending disaster for Pakistan.

11. Agha Shoaib says:

I think they both should work together and that bonding should be for the cause of pakistan not for government or any other issues. charter of democracy should be implemented with letter and spirit but we have to keep in mind that if both the parties implement the COD that will strengthen the federation.

12. Ayesha Qadeer says:

I think Pakistan needs to be purged completely and fully of these corrupt politicians. Nawaz, Shahbaz, Zardari are all playing for their own gains. The sharifs are power hungry and so is Zardari, they are both going to strike another deal and share the booty. No one of them really want to work towards either democracy or lessening the miseries of the poor. People wake up, start a revolution and lets give Imran Khan a chance. At least he doesn’t have NRO or other corruption charges so he might just be the hope we are all desperate for.
    Sharifs go back to your fun life in Saudi, Zardari well Dubai will do.

13. Asfand says:

Why is the Govt trying to infulence the judges on handing over favourable judgment in the Sharif brothers disqualification case? If the judiciary has been made independent let them deliver a fair judgment.

14. Various commentators have expresssed the sentiment that things were much better with Musharraf wbich indeed were; however a one man rule cannot last for ever. Musharraf made two very serious blunders for which the country is paying the price now; agreeing to the NRO under US pressure and including AZ under its umbrella and not addressing the Taliban problem early on undoubtedly following the advice of his ‘Taliban clone’ advisors like the Chaudhries.

It is ironical that the ‘legitimately’ selected President thanks to the slavish tribal traditions of the Vadera culture, enjoys all the powers that the military dictator had and some. On the other hand the one time nemesis of the Judiciary, NS, whose ardent wish was to put Justice Sajjad Ali Shah in jail just for one day to teach him a lesson, who actually did succeed in ousting him and who engineered the storming of the SC through his party goons suddenly and miracously found religion and became the most vociferous champion of the restoration of the CJ at which the whole country is delirious with delight and pride. The acid test of the ‘independence’ of the judiciary would come when the Iftikhar Chaudhry court rules over the disqualification of the Sharifs. If it rules in their favor the wily Sharifs have recovered their massive investment of money and man power they made in resurrecting the CJ from the dead with a million fold return; not a bad deal in these perilous financial times.

Finally, the partisans of the Sharifs and AZ and of this mockery of a democracy might look at how the rest of the world views our country. As has been noted in comments above, we are no longer compared with India anymore, which is viewed as a super power in waiting but with one of the most primitive and savage countries, our ‘brotherky’ neighbor Afghanistan. We know, we have hit rock bottom when during a discussion on NPR, the highly prestigious and balabced radio station in the US, on the subject of whether or not Mexico was a failed state, the expert opposed to this view retorted “Mexico is not Pakistan’.

15. Raza Mirani says:

Charter of Democracy should be implemented in letter and spirit beyond personal interest of any political party head.

Remnants of military dictator Pervez Musharraf and our strong security establishment which never accepted supremacy of parliament major hurdle in implementing Charter of Democracy.
    As person believes in democratic system I am still optimist that despite weak political parties’ structure its interest of people at large that COD should be implemented.

Its good omen that both mainstream political parties should start dialogue and never close door and back to politics of early 1990 which only strengthen non-democratic forces and legitimized the argument given by military dictator that democracy never suit Pakistani people .

Its need of hour that leaders of PPP and PML (N) should respect the wishes of people who always waged struggle against military dictators.

Dilemma with PPP that lost her leadership and present top leadership of PPP product of accidental politics.

Now larger responsibility on shoulder of Nawaz Sharif that, he should join hand to make parliament supreme and balance of power between, PM, President that all key stake holder institution should work in their parameters. 1973 constitution is not a religious ethos its should be amended that other smaller provinces which always complained hegemony of Punjab should transfer power them to further strengthen federation of country.

We Pakistani always given more than 8 years to military dictators why not give time to elected representatives and I think people should decide the fate of any party government with ballot box.

16. Faree Imaan says:

Media and politics, both are playing chess with the people of pakistan, as far president is concern, I am pretty much sure he is backed by and in touch with former president Musharraf. Zardari himself is not aware of politics not a bit to become a president.

Sharif brother’s will get back very soon, they been supporting Chief justice and lawyers knowing their fact and figures very well, and what we are seeing here that PPP and PML – N is again getting along it was already decided nothing is new, restoring Chief Justice on this Date, they were aware of it, else government had no other option, just a drama which we saw Prime Minister addressing the nation.

No President in pakistan , ever let people of pakistan decide anything, they never came to serve the the nation but to bring more tortures and hard times.

If you seriously want to know politics which makes no sense, Watch Pakistani Politics . where president , prime ministers are not less than puppets. and Nation is paying for the crimes and mistakes corruption they do. DIRTY POLITICS

17. mashal says:

I think the thinking men of PPP have concluded that the best chance of PPP having a successful government in the centre is to make efforts to bring back Sharif Brothers to the political mainstream. they have also concluded that Sharifs must not be pushed too hard to fall in the lap of establishment as ripe fruit. they have come a long way to cahnge their ways and allign with true democratic forces in the country. They have started a new chapter of relations with PPP and this must continue. Any rift or tussle between the two will ultimately push the second biggest party to the extreme right, where it enjoys the company of resistance politics champions like Qazi and Maulana Sahib. PPP has to show that it is mature enough to slim chances of revival of the lost decade, decade of 90s.

18. Falak Awan says:

We can’t trust PPP and Zardari in particular. However Mr. Nawaz is more reliable and loyal. I would pray that Mian Nawaz should not tie too much with PPP.
    Ms Mehwish has commented about Mr. Musharraf but with due respect i would not like to live with leisure with my nation fellows living in the shades of threats of bloodshed and fear. Thats what Mr. Musharaf did to nation.

19. Ali Wahab says:

I think a lot of responsibility lies with Nawaz Sharif to make an amenable alliance with the PPP. The most important point of the COD is to respect each other’s mandate, however, the PML N has been making efforts, tacit may be, to create a rift between the leadership of the PPP. If the PML N goes to form a government in Punjab on its own with support of some turncoats, it will be negating its own introduced 14th Amendment.

Regarding the eligibility of the Sharif Brothers, I think the time has come that not just getting their disqualification annulled, they should go to the courts and get the Hijacking and Helicopter cases reviewed and get a clean chit.

Regarding Zardari, I think he has been magnanimous in defeat and importantly it shows tolerance on his part.

Nawaz Sharif has to tone down a little to make things work.

20. Zub Ahmed says:

Zardari is more ineligible than the Sharif brothers, so if the Sharif’s go, then Zardari should go before them.

Will this consultation between PML-N and PPP work? only if Zardari is sincere – and he is too greedy to be sincere!!

21. haider shaikh says:

The snake and the snake charmer get together for their personal interests, so-called the national interests, to poison the nation. They will work as partners till their greater interests are served.

22. Ali Ahmed says:

I feel we need to do three things to ensure stability in Pakistan:

1. Let both Sharif’s stay disqualified and that is the reality unless CJ returns the favor to them for his reinstatement.

2. Let PPP run its full course so that we all can see their delivery power.

3. Ban GEOnews and the health and mental state of the entire nation will improve. Pro-punjab / India and anti Pakistan channel and they should be tried for treason and causing anguish (dawn news reporter death was not reported or discussed on Geo news).What is this?

23. Saima Ahsan says:

it’s all about power and nothing else!!! u scratch my back, i scratch yours is what’s happening.
    CJ reinstatement movement was supported by sharif brothers but they were reluctant and even accusing the lawyers of not confiding the political parties before announcing the Long March.

Along Came the decision of their ineligibility and WOW, they were head over heals in love with this movement, fueling it all over. no doubt the result was good enough but question is intentions of our leaders??? are they really leaders or opportunists?? The stupid measures of govt to stop long march made a hero out of Nawaz Sharif.

At last moment and God knows on who’s pressure the president did announced to restore the judiciary. the PPP politicians were praising mr.president for his intelligence and decision-making. what the hell?? don’t u guys have any bit of sense and decency? u r running a country!

History and Time will unfold the DEAL made on both ends, untill then lets enjoy the PPP and PML-N trying desperately to cling on to their powers and not to mention Again in love with each other, forgiving and forgetting every bitterness . How romantic, isn’t it?

24. shamimzehra@live.com says:

Nawz Sharif’s corruption as well you know so how can we appreciate, he is not eligible to this he doesn’t know the politics he just knows how to create more money money and money

25. Shafqat Satti says:

Zardari and Nawaz are both rotten apples from the same tree.If today Nawaz was the president Zardari would be beating his chest with the same slogans what Nawaz is doing. People of Pak have very short memory, for God sake don’t we know Zia hatched Nawaz and what he did to Supreme court. And for Zardari go back to your dealings and leave the country alone. All of us have our eyes closed and think one person can change the whole system be that Nawaz , Zardari or the new so called hero Chaudry Iftikhar. the whole world knows we are drifting towards being a failed state and all these big shots are serving their own cause whether he or she is a politician, a judge or a so called Mullah (worst of them all destroying their own beautiful country in the name of Islam shame on you hypocrites).I hope Allah sends us a Ataturk kind of leader.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement