What provokes Baitullah Mehsud?

What provokes Baitullah Mehsud?

Dawn.com invites its readers to debate current affairs in this forum.

On Tuesday, Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud claimed responsibility for the attack on the Manawan police academy and threatened more such assaults in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the US. He stated that President Asif Zardari was ‘following US policies and allowing drone attacks’ and vowed that the Taliban would continue to commits act of terror until missile attacks are halted. He also claimed that the Taliban have the ability to attack Washington and threatened to target the White House. Attacks against NATO forces in Afghanistan were also on Mehsud’s list.

A few days before the Manawan attack, on March 25, the US State Department put Baitullah Mehsud on its most wanted list and announced a $5 million bounty for capturing him or providing information that could help convict him.

Do you think the US State Department’s announcement of a bounty for Mehsud provoke the Manawan attack? If the drone attacks were to seize, would Mehsud call off future terrorist attacks? Is Mehsud’s real target the US and its affiliate NATO forces? What exactly provokes Baitullah Mehsud?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

168 Responses to “What provokes Baitullah Mehsud?”

1. Iqbal says:

A very valid point was raised .

How can Baitullah Mehsod hold press conference with so many in attendance and still we are unable to capture him ?

something is missing in this equation ?

2. Asad says:

In my opinion, these talibans have nothing to do with our religion. Almost 95% of them can hardly write/read. The image of Islam being propagated by these fellows is really humiliating for us living in Europe. Plus the fact, each time when European media talks of Pakistan, it’s always in negative terms.

We feel proud to declare ourselves as Muslim but our deeds seem going in contradiction of our beliefs. We are considered as one of the most corrupt nations in the world. I have a special affection for a British journalist living in Beyrouth for the last 30 years and he speaks “true”. He is almost banned on TV in the whole west. His name is Robert Fisk. You can find some of his interviews and lectures on youtube. I invite you all to watch some of his extracts regarding Pakistan. Just type his name in the search engine and there it is.

I sincerely think that the “education”, the “poverty” and “security” are playing a very big role in all what is happening in Pakistan. In-order to eradicate poverty and tighten the security, we need the education. Government of Pakistan should do its utmost to bring the percentage of education up. Education must be free and obligatory till graduation and hopefully we will see the result in 10 years.

All Madressas must be run and controlled by the government officials and certainly not by mullas. It is good to learn Quran by heart but we must understand that Arabic is not our maternal language and therefore all precious teachings of Quran remain misunderstood. Mostly in our Pak society, we have the tendency of sending our kids to madressas (especially those who don’t perform well in normal schools!) and it takes start from there. How can someone who is not good at studies at school, be considered “good” to learn religion. This is the fundamental mistake. Then, this boy spends 10 years in the mosque, learns Quran by heart, learns everything that his superior (who himself is produced the same way) teaches him and there it is! This new molvi is then appointed in a mosque where he starts propagating what he has learnt. If he is taught to declare shias are kafir, he would do so without any hesitation and here starts this infernal vicious cycle that never ends.

The seed of hatred was sowed in our country by the dictator Zia ul Haq who nourished and backed a specific idea of our religion (that probably came from Saudi Arabia) and since then, we are going down in the dumps. All terrorist organizations in our country are the result of what Zia ul Haq did and these are all from the same school of thought. It is not a coincidence but a cruel reality. Why have we forgotten the precious values of tolerance and mutual respect???

When our Holy book says that taking the life of an innocent person (even if he is a non-muslim) is haram and not at all allowed, how can it be justified by talibans. How can we make these unconscious people understand that they are not serving the religion at all but making themselves entitled to hell. There is a lot more to say and I can keep on writing but unfortunately I don’t have time. Is there someone who can hear this cry of our hearts?

I pray to God almighty to save our country and save its citizens (amen)

3. Baitulla Mehsud is a criminal not only for one country but he is a killer of humanity. I believe a man who attack innocent people all over Pakistan cannot be a Muslim. I think it is not a right way to solve any issue.

4. Adnan says:

Drone Attacks should continue! We need to attack these terrorists who will destroy Pakistan. Government may not admit but it is currently supporting such attacks by providing logistic support and location of these terrorists.

If drone attacks are stopped than what will we do? Does one expect that terrorists will sit quietly and become law abiding citizens?

5. java says:

I dont think USA state department such announcements will help stoping such attacks in future. I also dont think so such factors will stop there activities if USA stop drone attacks, but if government and all other stake holders become united and succeeded in convincing USA to halt drone attacks then these terrorist will not be able to have support from locals as easily as now…… And this process will take time, one cannot expect to change the ideology of masses overnight…. Pakistan govenment and military should also try to seal the border with afghanistan and also try to locate and cease all the routes from where these factors get fundings and support………

6. ozair mustafa says:

In my opinion he has a distorted mind and is a manipulated person, one important point to make is that our t.v (which is now free for all), at times seems to inadvertently glorify these people by not outrightly branding him an enemy and urging the government to go after him , we must all stand firm behind the govt and army.

7. Mehmood Rehan says:

In past we have seen how the western world left us alone after the Afghan war. Now our government should understand and be clear in their policy matters. United States and the western world are doing everything to protect their vested interests. And what are we doing. Are we protecting our interest?. The answer is simple “no”. Our security forces are fighting against their own people, won’t it be nice that if Drone attacks are strictly dealt with and our government starts talking with the tribals after all they are also Pakistani citizens, they have also given sacrifice for the cause of achieving this Homeland.
    Lets save our Mother Land

8. Ali says:

For a common man like me, it is a rigmarole. We have so many variables and so many people with so many views, its hard not to be confused. I sit here in my office and people around me ask what is wrong with our country. Sometimes I think it is our liberals who side with America and second its policies. And there are other times, when I conveniently blame the regressiveness of our Mullahs.

Amidst all this, no matter how comical it may sound, I think it is partly American policies of the yesteryear which have come back to haunt us and partly our own self-proclaimed fountain heads of wisdom who mislead our fickle minded masses. It is a vicious cycle and there is no breaking free from this. I feel Pakistan will be better served if it is allowed to make its own decisions right or wrong. There have been more economic, phsycological and physical damage to Pakistan due to this than it was to the US post 9/11.

People should rally around and fight back. There is no force stronger than optimistic and a unified people. I pity those who frequent the foreign embassies for migration. Just when the nation needs us, we desert it and then sit in our air conditioned drawing rooms vehemently criticising the law and order and the general turn of events. This to me is bigotry personified.

9. Ahmed says:

Please wake up Pakistanis before we lose this pakistan, why we can’t understand that who is doing this all, who made this Al Qaida who made Taliban who gave them Training , Come on Pakistanis wake up wake up

10. Shahab says:

Best option is talk

11. CameoSid says:

There are a couple of aspects we should consider in this conflict or mini-skirmish, whatever you want to call this. First of all, the most important is that organizations like LeT and Tehrik-e-Taliban emerged due to complete failure or lack of organized institutions in Pakistan. Pakistanis have a good habit of blaming the government for every ill-will happening around them. I’m not implying the fact that government is not at fault but the country as a nation is at fault. If we today finish this scourge from within via dialogue, peace deals or even bombing, tomorrow we will have some other individual or organization stand-up and create a problem of a different nature but same color! People in Pakistan need to understand the fact that there actions have an adverse effect not regionally but on a global scale.

Secondly, Pakistanis have forgotten about the concept of community. The Upper Class in Pakistan is completely disconnected from the other classes and they have no clue of what is happening around them. The Pakistani upper and middle educated elite has to rise up and completely over-haul the current economic, social and religious institution. This is way, in the long-term situation will eventually change and we won’t have repeated instability in Pakistan which threatens regional and global peace!

12. Ohhhhh poor country :( says:

It is really sad that our country which was founded by Jinnah on the basis of religion is being destroyed by our own brethren. We continue to blame other countries like USA for the sorry state of our country.

What have we done about our own people who are below the poverty line? Modern education, and respect for women is what we need…not fanatics like Mehsud.

13. Abid Muzaffar says:

We need to once and for all make sure that the border with Afghanistan is clearly Defined. This open gate is not just ground zero for breeding terrorists, but it will Continue indefinitely this way. Once this open gate is guarded with an iron fist, then Pakistan can focus on other regions like Baluchistan.

14. Muhammad Abdul Majid says:

Its time for Pakistanis to stand up against those who believe in Peace and harmony should stand up against all those who are disturbing peace and hindering our country for prosperity.
    This is the time when respected Ulema needs to come forward and guide the Muslims. If they still sit within the walls then this quit possible that they start losing their trust of people.

15. Think says:

I agree with the people who are of the view to come out on streets against Mehsud.

But my simple question is that, on one hand if Mehsud is killing our people than on the other hand the USA is killing our people too.

Can we come out on streets against both of them, or we are simply followers of the USA.

16. Idrees says:

This is the time when we all need to get together and fight against this menace. Not only to save the present generation but to save and build the future for our generations to come.

The govt. shud take a lead and call an all parties conference with full sincerity instead of cutting deals with inviduals like they did in Swat. And all the parties should forget their differences in order to save pakistan. They should all agree on a joint action, which I presume should start from negotiations and may end at a full fledged army operation, in case negotiations fail.

And this is also a time when we, together, need to tell USA and/or NATO to stay away and let us do what is needed. And I am sure that they will stay away when we shall show our sincere efforts and actions to stop this brutality and tit for tat.

This is the time when our politicians need to come out of their personal shells and think for the entire country and the nation as a whole. Maybe this is the last opportunity to do that.

17. Zehra says:

We need to understand that the drone attacks do not kill the terrorists, they kill mere innocent Pakistani citizens most of them are children and women.

Our government needs to understand that such attacks create frustration internally and erupt as the incidents at Manawan.

We need to differentiate between internal and external threats as soon as possible or else, we might just witness a revolt by many with likes of Baitullah Mehsud, who hail to be heros within their own area

18. F.Khan says:

I believe Baitullah Mahsud is a terrorist and so are his followers. They have nothing to do with the religion of Islam as I understand it. They must be defeated otherwise they will spread their hatred and barbarism to all areas of Pakistan. The surest way to arrest their influence to have less corrupt police as well as judiciary. May be Shahbaz Sharif can bring about such necessary changes-at least in Punjab.

19. Wasim says:

The reason Baitullah was not taken out while doing the press conference because he wasn’t present there personally he was talking via satellite phone from an unknown location.

20. Naseer says:

I am happy to see like minded people. I think people like Bait ullah should be eliminated from Pakistan. This will also reduce street crimes in cities by at least 50%.

Enough is enough, law and order and writ of government should be established. People of Pakistan should be disciplined starting from President to farmer.

21. Suresh says:

God bless Pakistan and its people. Every one must stay calm and get united together. But Please do not blame India, and instead work with India and its people. Pakistan and India together can be stronger.

22. bunty says:

In response to Prof. Murty that people’s voice will curb terrorism – I completely disagree.

Terrorists understand only one language – You must be really naive to think this blog will have any impact on Mehsud or Osama. But, yes, a single bomb will silence them.

23. bunty says:

He is a “hardcore” criminal and he deserves what any criminal does….that’s the bottomline. Period. Murderers don’t have any religion.

I don’t understand why the discussion on what provokes him – do you care? In my view he is a plain old murderer and deserves what a murderer deserves. Are we going to ask every murderer what provoked them? Let’s not fool ourselves.

24. John says:

This was printed in one of the letters to Editors today and could turn out to be true if the Taliban come to power:

Since most of the population is barely literate and even the educated are not enlightened, the government, therefore, needs to sell its case in a language that the majority understands.

For example, it needs to be explained what would happen if the Taliban took over as life as they know it will be over.

At the cost of oversimplification they need to be given examples such as: imports will stop and without any parts for our power stations the first thing that will go is electricity followed by gas and water.

Traders will have nothing to sell in their shops as most things are banned by the Taliban. Girls will be out of school and women – headed households will starve as women will not be allowed to work. Since we will not be able to buy oil, all transport will come to a standstill and even buses and rickshaws will cease to ply on roads.

I feel that this is the level of simplification that is needed to win over the population in our country. I hope someone reads this and thinks about it.

Barber shops, Jewelry and fashion boutiques and video shops will be shut down.

There will be a weekly congregation in the town square where the people deemed to be guilty will be hanged and their hands cut off publicly.

25. Tom Sawyer says:

It is said that night is darkest just before dawn.

Because of the crisis in the Islamic world I hope there will be questions asked by common muslims of their mullahs and leaders.

Just like the Europeans emerged stronger with their renaissance after their horrific “middle ages” (where they had witch hunts etc. – difficult to imagine now).

Christians can be faithful to their religion and at the same time take a scientific view of “outdated interpretations” of the Bible (e.g. abortion) why can’t the Muslims ? In earlier days even Hindus were told that they would lose their faith if they travelled out of India – just imagine if all of them had believed that there would be no Vikram Pandit or an Infosys.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement