What provokes Baitullah Mehsud?

What provokes Baitullah Mehsud?

Dawn.com invites its readers to debate current affairs in this forum.

On Tuesday, Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud claimed responsibility for the attack on the Manawan police academy and threatened more such assaults in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the US. He stated that President Asif Zardari was ‘following US policies and allowing drone attacks’ and vowed that the Taliban would continue to commits act of terror until missile attacks are halted. He also claimed that the Taliban have the ability to attack Washington and threatened to target the White House. Attacks against NATO forces in Afghanistan were also on Mehsud’s list.

A few days before the Manawan attack, on March 25, the US State Department put Baitullah Mehsud on its most wanted list and announced a $5 million bounty for capturing him or providing information that could help convict him.

Do you think the US State Department’s announcement of a bounty for Mehsud provoke the Manawan attack? If the drone attacks were to seize, would Mehsud call off future terrorist attacks? Is Mehsud’s real target the US and its affiliate NATO forces? What exactly provokes Baitullah Mehsud?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

168 Responses to “What provokes Baitullah Mehsud?”

1. AA says:

All Pakistani must understand the development of nuclear is also a cause of many concern for many parties. India could never claim a regional power as long as his neighbor has the nuke. We all Muslims must work hard, educate our children and live coherently. Masud is not doing any good to Pakistan; his actions bring more harsh reality to his region. He must stop and should not use his brethren in Lahore who came to find a work and now providing his people a shelter and support to carry these attacks. Why these attacks intensify past one and half year, I believe it is because America is putting too many solider on the ground and carrying out too many attack on civilians.

2. Walker says:

The callous duplicity within our country is unfathomable. It is calamitous that a man who kills Pakistani’s with impunity is still being shielded by Pakistani’s saying that he is not the sole problem and more must be done. The unfortunate thing is that he does not think that way when he kills other Pakistani police/army/commmon men.

His message is clear I am out here to kill – if it be in the name of religion so be it. Why can’t this countrymen see this clearly. I believe that the entire Army must be assigned one task – “Get rid of this monster!” Everything else will follow as we will send a message through this to his fanatical followers.

He knows he is cornered, he wanted the army to move away from FATA to the eastern border and that was the main aim of recent attacks. He wants breathing space in FATA that is the aim of SWAT.

Enough is enough!

3. Prof. P.R. Murti says:

I am happy to note the views of people condeming Mehsud. Peoples voice will be the greatest weapon to combat terrorism.

4. Waseem says:

The problem in our contemporary Islamic society is that we do not have a voice of authority that speak up and tell us if this Jihad is truly wrong or not, thus the majority of Pakistanis or Muslims feel reluctunt to condemn attacks of this nature.
    (Personally, my prayers are with those who have lost thier lives in “this act” of senseless savagery).

In regards to the problem in Pakistan, stop fighting America’s war. Are we so blind to see what is going on!!

5. Saf says:

Lets get something straight. Baitullah Mehsud is not a new phenomenon. He’s a mix of past historical problems in Pakistan. But, yes he’s an impressive terrorist product.

Wazirastan, FATA and the other agencies have always had their own powerful autonomy. They were NEVER truly administered by our sovereign government. They mostly practiced their own tribal rules.

Then came Zia’s time. The introduction of foreign Arab Salafi and Wahabi beliefs, and a revival of Deobandi ideology of Jihad, opening two fronts in Afghanistan and Kashmir. (We really really should put forward a bill in parliament that bans any extremist preacher,organization,school,etc.)

These remnants hung around forever, causing sectarian killings, to rebellion in Kashmir (for some reason all this was acceptable to our security forces). Then the US destruction of the WTC occurred. This forced our army to challenge the Taliban and the foreigners who regrouped in…Wazirastan.

If most of you remember, the battles there were fierce. Killing thousands of Pakistan’s soldiers. Meaning, that indeed there were terrorists hiding in that region. However we must recognize the loss of innocent lives that war had cost the people of Waziristan.

Cue in Mehsud. The champion of Waziristan, the old militant asset of Pakistan now the new militant foe, the friend of multi-national Al Qaeda and the brother to the Afghan Taliban.

One dangerous fellow…

6. Tofiq says:

I am tribal and have extensive experience of working in the area basically, if the army wants to eliminate him it is a matter of days. However, he is one of the cards that is used to dupe the Americans.

Until and unless the FATA is amalgamated with rest of N.W.F.P even in the coming 100 years pukhtoons in particularl and Pakistan in general will not develop and propsper. As this is said to be the the place of open corruption for the civil-military bureaucrats and the despised Political Administration make billions in weeks (Ask any one how much money is taken in bribes by political agents and assistant political agents).

7. Profile says:

When Musharraf tried to eliminate similar radicals from Lal Masjid, every single politician went against him and started accusing him for taking actions against these characters . I have also noticed that none of the mullah utter a single word against these attacks. I guess we should allow American to eliminate these criminals.

8. zm says:

There are very few real criminals in the world. The Root Causes of violence are primarily three (3):

Injustice, Oppression and Poverty

They, in turn, cause frustration. Frustration pushes even average humans to commit violence. Applying force to curb violence thus created further increases injustice, oppression and poverty … causing further frustration and more violence … and the cycle continues.

Most get swayed by this increase in the gravity of these root causes and join the ‘insurgents’ – some get lured in by fools others by opportunists for their ill agendas.

So, the bottom line is: Fix the root causes, not flare them further.

Otherwise, to the innocents on the ground the drones and the security forces and the military and whoever cooperates with them is the biggest terrorist and supporter of oppressors, reigning terror on them. They get more convinced to stand up against the forces inflicting more injustice, oppression and poverty. You come out seriously questioning the sincerity of all those claiming of superior morality and champions of peace.

9. Ahmad Shafique says:

Let us all come to the street (just like we did to restore Judiciary) to tell our government and Army that every Pakistani is against people like Baitullah Mehsud and his followers. Let’s give the strength our government and Army need to go after such people. Pass a resolution in National Assembly against such culprits; have our Muftis renew their Fatwa against such people, come out in the street to call on General Kyani/Army to go after such people with full force. This is “our” war. Let’s defend our country together and let such culprits know what is the meaning of Jihad – as there would be no bigger Jihad then to save our Pakistan… I urge the media to set a date for a worldwide rally of Pakistanis against such culprits; plan a sit-down in front of National Assembly and GHQ until they take action, just like in the case of Judiciary.

10. Aftab Ahmad says:

I would label these terrorists are as non-Muslims and to me this applies to their sympathisers as well, whether politicians or any other person. The reason being, they are not only acting against Quran and against the teachings of our beloved prophet(peace be upon him), but they are defaming Islam too in the whole world.

11. Asif Khan says:

I think the root cause of this issue is Islam.I think that we need a modern and contemproray Islam.We are following Islam which is dated.We should have the freedom to question The Holy Quran and if something is not right,discard it.

12. Sami Khan says:

As Pakistanis we have a choice to make. Do we want to accept Taliban style government or not? Even if America leaves Afghanistan today and drone attacks stop the Taliban will not stop short of establishing their own creed in Pakistan. Now if we are ok with that then why fight let us invite Mr. Mehsud to take over the state and all of us live as they want us. Second option is we do n’t want to live that way then we will have to fight and support the security forces fighting and be prepared for the physical damages of such a war.

13. Shuaib says:

‘Baitullah Mehsud during a press conferences where he insists his face remains hidden. – Reuters’
    Coward can not face the cameras

14. Shuaib says:

What school of Islamic studies this character has learned his Islam from?
    Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) let his enemies go during capture of Mecca if they took shelter in a Muslims’ home.
    It seems this Mehsud is nothing but a selfish, power hungry, killer who thinks that he will go to heaven when he meets his maker because he has spilled the blood of innocent people.

15. Wasit says:

What provokes Baitullah Mehsud? Nothing more than the old saying that a wolf bites the hand that feeds it.

16. Abdur rehman says:

i believe he is just a puppet of some foreign element. and he is doing what they are telling to him.

17. Dawood Khan says:

I just cant understand how our security agencies have failed miserably in getting this criminal. This guy is threatening our security and destabalizing the country everyday. It forces me to believe that our agencies are not capable enough to handle a couple of bandits. Its a pity. I guess we should ask the US for help, because by now every sane Pakistani would have realized that this war is now our war unfortunately and we need to win it for our sake and not US sake. The ulema should rise to the occasion and give a fatwa against this criminal and his suicide bombers. I personally believe that the state should not give in to his demands or any other blackmailer who might be in Swat. These guys should be wiped out with brute force. There will be collateral damage and its a hard pill but we have to swallow it for the sake of our country. What I am suggesting might not be least practicable but I am saying this because of great desperation. I am thousands of miles away from Pakistan but I follow the news every day because probably when one is away from ones own country , one becomes a lot more patriotic. Pakistan is our identity and without Pakistan we are no one, we stand no where, you realise it when you are abroad. I will suggest to the army chief that go for an all out war against Baitullah and Fazlullah. These guys are a disgrace to our country and our religion. They are portraying the wrong image of Pakistani’s and Muslims. We need to get rid of them, by hook or by crook.

18. Ali says:

A totally wrong question. He is a terrorist, a criminal. Killing innocent people through his Suicide cell, you are talking to him in a rational manner. this man is a sociopath. Take him and his gang out. Anybody can be his target. Don’t appease him or you will pay the price.

19. BM says:

Its payback time for pak and its Biatullah who is fixing the prices. Relax, the game is just beginning.

20. Arifa says:

Taleban is a Frankenstein monster created by the Zia regime under US sponsorship to drive the Russians out of Afghanistan. Taleban know no interstate boundary and are the same people in Afghanistan and Pakistan. In fact they were created in Pakistan in the factories called Madressah which are still operating. They will continue to fight as being Taleban is their livelihood. They have no other occupation, eduction or training other than learning Quranic verses by heart and having excellent guerilla warfare training which was initially imparted by the Pakistan army and ISI and later perfected against the Russians. Links with elements in the military agencies are allegedly strong and remain unbroken as the agencies are reportedly using them as a hedge to neutralize various other influences including Indian, in Afghanistan. Taleban are happy to fight and blow themselves up because they have a sense of belonging and their families are looked after when they die. There is no way that Baitullah Mehsud can be defeated by killing a few of them when a thousand are prepared to jump in for every single one that the drones or the army manage to kill. The solution? Stop the production line by shutting down madressahs, create jobs for them and educate them and their children in the Northern areas and poverty stricken Punjab in the art of living normal lives in order to achieve the ability to earn a livelihood, be normal human beings and to rid their minds of the effects of years of brainwashing. Above all cut off their money supply, i.,e. the heroin factories.

The money that comes from America should not be used to bribe Taleban leaders or line the pockets of corrupt politicians but towards development.

21. haris khan says:

i think what we did we were paying for it, to keep away the secular forces in Afghanistan away from power or due the fight of mujahideen between them pakistani agencies reportedly created the evil of taliban. i call them the evil because they are not true muslims, they dont even know the basis of islam, they are trying to impose their tribal culture which are not islamic, they have no respect for humanity. Alhumdulillah im a true muslim and follow my religion, can Baitullah mehsud tell me that where it is written in the Quran to kill the non muslims, he has tarnished the image of islam. we as a nation should eliminate the evil of taliban, we should not care india will fill the power vavccum in afghanistan, instead of it we should try to make friendly relations with india, i can tell u that india is not that much of threat to our existence as compare to taliban, think of that worst thing when the evil of taliban will try to impose their dirty ideology in Lahore, karachi, etc. our image as a nation is destroyed by them, i live in canada, non muslims ask me is your religion tell you to to kill other people.

our agencies should stop protecting the evil of taliban, because the records shows when ever our forces made advance at the cost of a lot of soldiers truce were made with taliban, even the forces had upper hand, there are the agents of taliban in our agencies which need to be eliminated otherwise pakistan will not be too long as a united country on the map. Allah bless pakistan.(amin)

22. bilal hussain says:

the brave soldiers of pakistan army and every other body who are fighting against the militants across the pak-afghan borders, should consolidate their plans to combat these militants. i appreciate US endeavors in this collaborative mission and it should be urged coherently.

23. Pakistani says:

For God sake my dear Pakistanis. We need to get our heads out of the sand. We need to stop this hatred towards India. We have a bigger threat internally and if not taken care of now there will be no Pakistan left.

24. D. Das says:

Just killing B. Mehsud will not be the simple solution. His ideology of hate needs to be killed.

I am an Indian and I can tell you that Indians do not have any desire to attack Pakistan or capture some territory of Pakistan. We’re very much happy with the lands we have and we’ve around 200 million people below poverty line. We really do not want to destroy the whole region by going with a war with Pakistan. We want to build a strong India with happy, strong and friendly neighbors. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Srilanka and China’s happiness is our happiness and joy.

Long live Pakistan!!! May god open all our eyes to the truth.

25. shahzada Saleem says:

I strongly believe that warlords in FATA, SWAT and other parts of NWFP will continue to seek power even if there is peace in Afghanistan and all these foreign forces left.

Therefore, every one in our police and security agencies should be trained to fight these extremists, We have to eliminate non state powers completely, by strength or by providing them alternate source of income. We as a nation have to unite with one voice against these elements, especially our relegious parties have to play a very important role in this.

May ALLAH (SWT) help us all achieving this target bringing our beloved nation back to peace, prosperity, progress, tolerance and love.
    (AMEEN)

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement