Is Federer the greatest ever?

Is Federer the greatest ever?

Roger Federer, on Sunday, won the only grand slam tennis title that has eluded him all his career. The French Open win also brought him level with tennis legend Pete Sampras in winning 14 grand slam titles. With Rafael Nadal injured with a knee problem, Federer has an excellent chance of reclaiming the Wimbledon trophy that had been his for so long.

Pundits say Federer will not only break Sampras’s record, he will also put it out of anyone else’s reach. Does the fact that R-Fed has won all four grand slam titles make him the greatest ever? Will he be able to create a record of grand slam titles that may never be broken?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

95 Responses to “Is Federer the greatest ever?”

1. Maxiboy says:

Pet Sampras was the best, the players in his time were good and gave him tough time he had more confidence and control. The present lad is also good but does not have the tough likes sampras, he only has to face Nadal who is and will be dominatong the area for long.

2. Farjad says:

If it wasn’t for a Mallorcan maniac, people would’ve geuinely believed that Tennis God has descended from heaven, to play by the name of Roger Federer!!

3. Max says:

I dont agree Pet Samras was the best with the players he was facing in his arena. he had command whch the currect one lacks and ofcouse Borj

4. Usama Khan, Sultan says:

Yes he truly is World class player of tennis both off & on the field. Surely he will go on to win most Grand Slams ever. He is a true champion & I am very much confident in his ability to regain his crown as Number#1 and the Wimbledon Champion. Go Federer

5. F.Faruqi says:

I don’t know about greatest player ever, but he’s probably the best I’ve seen in my life. His dominance of almost every major grass surface tournament and his ingenuity in the game is testamount to that.

6. Omer Javed says:

He is surely poised to break Sampras’s record big time which Sampras himself predicted some time back. I think RF has a lot of tennis left in him and the comment would be more appropriate once he bids farewell.

Best,
    Omer

7. Jareer says:

oh yes he will!

8. Habib says:

Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player to date.

9. Indian Kashmiri says:

I very strongly disagree that Roger Federer is the greatest ever. I agree that he has won 14 grand slams and a great player; but we have to consider the opponents he has been playing.

The opponents that Sampras faced were great likes like Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Chang, Jim Courier, Rafter, etc.

On the Contrary, Federer just had one great opponent in Nadal, and others were not in the same league!!

So, Federer is a great player…greatest, I think I would still give it to Pete Sampras!

• omar khayyam says:

Winning the highest number of grand slams must count for something. Federer’s opponents do look mediocre because he kept on beating them again and again. Otherwise, the fitness level and the technique, the modern and present players posses is no lesser than 90’s players.

10. Atif Malik says:

Undoubtedly R-Fed is the greatest of all times. He is a true fighter and I have never seen him giving up until it is over. He is a HERO and I am confident that he will break all time world record ot Pete Sampras shortly and make history.

11. Mirza Adnan-Ul-Haq says:

Ofcourse Roger is a great player.The way he runs volley is absoultely superb no words to praise his abilty at all.I think only Pete Sampras can match his talent after great players like lendal, effenburg , borg , aggasi etc. I wish him great success for grandslams he the ultimate king

All the best for roger,

12. Parhakoo says:

Looks that way. Although as perhaps most will agree, being the greatest is not always about winning-ok, not entirely about winning to be politically more correct.

Certainly among the game’s greats. For me at least.

-parhakoo

13. Sheraz Malik says:

Definitley he is the greatest player of all times as I believe he has noting to prove now. He is simply superb in all aspects of Tennis

14. Ahmed Omair says:

He is great but not invincible. We saw that last year when Nadal was in full form!

15. Mohammad Usama says:

Yes indeed, Federer is and will be the greatest player of all times……definitely who else can be the greatest player other than the one who has won 14 Grand Slams……!!!!!!!

16. Sajjad Ashraf says:

And yes, it is Nadal’s surprise elimination that opened the door for him.

And how can you call him the greatest when he could hardly ever beat the no 2 player (when Nadal was at 2 spot)during his time?

17. Sajjad Ashraf says:

YOu cannot compare a player with that of another era.

By which benchmark can anyone call him the greatest? I’d like to know?

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement