Your favourite moments of the game

Your favourite moments of the game

People gathered around giant screens on roads and in front of televisions in hotels and restaurants in all the main Pakistani cities hours before the match. They clapped and danced on the beat of drums at the fall of every Sri Lankan wicket. They watched Kamran Akmal’s opening salvos with bated breath, too tense to enjoy the fact that the openers were playing a safe game. When Shahid Afridi, with his eagle-eyed look and bring-it-on walk, came on, fans dared to hope that there was still a chance, that he was going to be different. And what a difference he made. He made 54 off 40 balls, only two sixes and two fours, and even dived to save his wicket. A moment came on the fourth ball of the 19th over, a perfect Lasith Malinga yorker that Afridi edged on to his ankle, and ran a quick single to complete a remarkable victory. We all cheered, hugged each other, and thronged the streets, thrilled to see our team in top form again – even if Afridi might stay back in England to get that ankle looked at.

Where were you when it happened? How did you react? What were your favourite moments of the game? The most tense? And how did you celebrate? Send in your reactions and wishes for the Pakistani team.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

198 Responses to “Your favourite moments of the game”

1. jasim says:

i was in mosccow, watched the game on a live stream. Celebrated by going out with the family.

2. Karwan Khursheed, Dubai says:

well i live in sharjah, UAE but work in Dubai. I wanted to watch this match from the beginning but unfortunately it started at 6:00 pm Dubai time. I left the office at 6:00 pm and and I knew that i will be late if i go to Sharjah. SO i changed the bus and got myself in the office bus which was going to Dubai. I almost missed the first part of the game. But i had radio headset with me and enjoyed listening commentary of Zeeshan on 102.6 hum fm. I went to my Pakistani and Indian friend to watch the Game. We were 6 friends all packed in a small room. I was praying that Shahid Afrid should be on the crease at least over 100 runs and It happend. We were enjoying but somewhere tensed also. We were very tensed until Afrid hit 6 on Udanga ball. It was heart throwing game. my favorite player is Shahid Afridi and he really played well. I love you shahid.

Then After the Game ended we hugged each other. we brought 4 large pizza and enjoyed the dinner

12 o clock I was back home at my flat in Sharjah. I am Indian Muslim but my heart and soul love Pakistan and Pakistan cricket.Few of my friend know that I support Pakistan more than my country, India.

I pray Allah to give Victory to Pakistan always and All Muslim.

Best of luck Pakistan

3. Ovais says:

Kudos ,Pakistan!

Thanks to the Pakistani team it give us something to cheer about and bring the cricket passion back in Pakistan. I hope we will produce some young cricketers in coming future and will play some good cricket like we did in T20 world cup.

4. Fawad says:

I am Pakistani studying in Götenborg, Sweden. In Götenborg, there are quite a few Pakistani families living but coz they havent arranged anything, so the students came up and arranged the match on a big screen in the university.

We cheered every run and every dot ball and made lot of noise throughout the match. As soon as the final run was scored, we ran down to the streets of Götenborg, with a huge Pakistani flag. And then the celebrations began. We sang patriotic songs, chanted famous slogans, danced and ran towards the center of the city. And there we finally ended the celebrations with national anthem. It would have been atleast a 5 km run.It was memorable. The Swedes does not know much about cricket and far less about Pakistan, so they were curious, and saw us with amazement.

Yeah, the tears were there with every slogan and song that we sang…Thanks to Almighty for giving us an opportunity to rejoice.

5. BomBom afridi gave us a gift .may God bless him.we kashmiries are going through very bad time. your victory provides a joy for us .you celibrated it in streets. we celebrated it in our homes by singing the songs of pakistan.

6. Abu Faaria says:

I forgot to mention athat i have had tears in my eyes a number of times after pak win!what a splended performance.Ramiz Raja righly called it bigger a win than 1992 WC.We cannot celeberate in Kashmir the way u people do it in Pakistan, But our heart and soul is with you.There were no sweets available in srinagar shops on 21 evening.We love you Pakistan!

7. Abu Firas says:

PAKISTAN ZINDABAAD!
    We in Srinagar -Kashmir are proud of you pakistan.We didnt sleep even for a single moment on 22 and celeberated and chanted slogans all along.Good planing by Younis and Gr8 team effort.We love you Pakistan!

8. omer says:

Dil Dil Pakistan !!!!!!!!

Who needs IPL

9. iI am from indian occupied kashmir.tears tickled down the eyes when Afridi the great opened the victororius mouth. may god bless him,he is the hero of kashmiri youth.nowadays we are also in trouble like you.but it was a best gift by heroes of pakistan to we people.

10. Asim says:

I think when Malinga bowled two bouncers to afridi and when afridi shook his head after the second one I thought now we will see the old afridi but surprisingly he took a single on the next ball …. that to me was one of hte turning points of the match :)

11. Mike says:

Congrats Pakistan,

Well done. They truely deserve the victory and the cup. Good that the players brought smile throught pakistan in these rough times. Hope the situation there gets better and we can see international teams playing in pakistan again.

Thank you.

An Indian.

12. izhar says:

Firstly I decided not to watch the final as I was too nervous, I went to work as I was supposed to be working 12;20, my assistant from West Indies asked me how come u r here? I just ignored him by saying i got some important things to do at work. Around 3:00 (London) I could not stop myself, there were some pakistan and sri lankan staff were there and they all gathered up to go watch match in the nearby pub, I half-heartedly accepting the invitation and went to watch the final in the pub near Neasden (london). I was fantastic atmosphere in the pub there were a lot of sri lankans and pakistan supporters were there and I really enjoyed watching the match. I felt sorry for my sri lankan fellows they were in tears but we were over the moon. A moment i will never forget. Pakistan zindabad

13. Ron says:

Talha says, “who needs IPL”? Well the answer is that the Pakistani players need it. If he feels that IPL is not needed, why were Pakistani players a part of IPL in the inaugural version? It’s very easy to have hindsight and say all these things – would he have said the same if Pakistan had not won the T20 WC?

14. Junaid says:

Pakistan Zindabad. I wish I was in Lahore to enjoy this. My favourite moments are so many
    1) Whem Amir took Dilshan’s wicket.
    2) When Razzaq took 3 wickets in final.
    3) When Afirdi took Styrus’s catch.
    4) When Akmal hit a great six of Steyn.
    5) When Gul made the world record.
    6) When Afridi stood tall after the winning run.
    7) When I saw Shoaib and Afridi having a big hug after winning. We need this unity.
    8) When I saw Pakistani streets filled with joy and celeberations.

15. Cricket team of Pakistan gave some thing so
    heart warming that it made us all live up. We are grateful to You all Younas,s and all Afridi,s and all Razzaq,s of Pakistan team. Thanks to you all.

16. Raj says:

Congratulations Pakistan. The Pak cricket Team has proved that we do not need big commercial endorsements, celeb status to win the world cup. What is need is the Mind, the Passion, the Heart and the Love for the game. I am an Indian but yet happy for Pak’s Victory. Celebrate !!!

17. ash says:

well done pakistan

18. Salman says:

I watched the match in Stuttgart, Germany with friends here…. the best moments were i guess the last 7 overs of the match. Afridi pulled them off.

LOL and after winning, we pakistanis danced with our germans and other european friends on Punjabi songs. Bhungra style. It was amazing…..

Love u Pakistan. U are all our reasons!!!

19. umer says:

i was in a student hostel in Bonn, watching the game with my friends and preparing food for a party planned for some other reasons. Initially we were watching it on a computer, but as the number of students grew, we brought a projector in the kitchen and enjoyed the game till the end….great evening

20. akbar says:

We watched the game at Georgia Tech, a bunch of engineering students made every possible attempt to take the time out for this occasion. Every ball, every catch, every run was received with ohhh, aahhh, claps. I never had so much fun watching a game that was mostly an anti-climax, Pakistan actually won easily. Just shows that when you plan according to plan, this team is unbeatable. Thank you thank you thank you , made my dad and my entire week joyful. Pakistan Zindabad

21. Parag says:

Congratulations to the Pakistani team & the Pakistani nation. Truly, a victory well-earned.

22. Salman says:

Alhamdolillah

Allah has shown us this day,

tears came naturally, would appreciate the posts by our Indian and Srilankan friends,

My favorite moment from the event is our players prostration to Allah after the victory,

I saw this match on my laptop in Pickering, Canada and even my 18 month old son was jumping up and down with joy seeing all of us scream

Team Pakistan you did us proud, May Allah keep you level headed

23. Faiz Khalil says:

At the time of the match I was in Islamabad representing the Sindh team at the 49th National Swimming Championships. Me and my team, along with the NWFP team, saw the end of the match on a little public TV in the midst of Aabpara Market, Islamabad. And when Pakistan won the match, we woke up Aabpara with our cheers and later went to Jinnah Super to join in the celebrations.

24. Amyn Lakhani says:

I am in Mombasa Kenya and watched the final match with my family. We had access to SABC (South African Broadcasting Corporation) TV. they also had their own studio experts. Both gentlemen favored strongly Sri Lanka as winner after Pakistan lost the toss. They seemed to be not convinced of Pakistan’s sudden surge and despite beating SA, they thought Sri Lanka are just too good and hard to beat. Even at the break, when Pakistan was required to chase, they were again asked to re-think, if they want to change their mind, but they stick to Sri Lanka. They were grossly wrong!!! Somehow, Pakistan has the ability to produce the unthinkable. We have done it before and we will do it all the time. Pakistan Zindabad!!

25. Vivek says:

Well played Pakistan..You fully deserve the win…hats off to Younis Khan and his men for making a remarkable comeback..it couldn’t have come at a better time…my hearty and sincere congrats to all pak bros..

cheers

an Indian

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement