Celebrating Faiz

Celebrating Faiz

A legendary poet like Faiz Ahmed Faiz (1911-1984) needs no introduction. In Pakistan, where one authoritarian government has made way for another since 1947, Faiz’s person and work is largely known as a symbol of resistance. In his poetry, he represented the people’s longing for freedom and democracy and became a source of inspiration for those seeking to build a just society.

Faiz began his career as a lecturer in English at Amritsar, but switched to journalism after the Second World War. He went on to become the editor of The Pakistan Times. In 1951, he was charged with complicity in the Rawalpindi conspiracy case and imprisoned. It was his four-year term in prison that gave him first-hand experience of the harsh realities of life and provided him with much-needed solitude to translate his thoughts into poetry.

As a poet, Faiz began writing on the conventional themes of love and beauty, but soon these thoughts were submerged in the larger social and political issues of the day. An admirer of Karl Marx, Faiz was also honoured by Soviet Russia with the prestigious ‘Lenin Award for Peace.’

Over the years, Faiz’s poetry has provided hope during the dark days of martial law, even as recently as November 3, 2007, when former president General Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency.

Twenty-five years ago, when Faiz passed away at the age of 73, Dawn described him as the ‘greatest Urdu poet of his time,’ who became a living legend for ‘his intrepid struggle against what he himself once described as “the dark and dastardly superstitions of centuries untold”.’

faiz_is_dead

Today, to mark Faiz’s death anniversary, Dawn.com invites its readers to share their favourite lines by the masterful poet and help keep the power of his poetry alive.

The views expressed in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

192 Responses to “Celebrating Faiz”

1. Ansa Fiza Perveen Rani says:

Faiz Ahmad Faiz is the most prominent poet of twentieth century. His progressive thoughts are very important in his poetry. I like his poem:

Har ek oolil amer ko sada do keh apni farde amal sanbhaaley.

All dictators should be careful about their violence. Dictators are always busy in promotion of nepotism, favoritism, non transparency, illegal exercise of powers and violation of eligibility criteria. Faiz Ahmad Faiz criticized dictators on their illegal and unlawful attempts against constitution. Faiz Ahmad Faiz was a brave and courageous creative writer of the world. His services for the promotion of Urdu language and literature are the glorious chapter of our history.

Nuskha hai wafa is his kuliat .I like this very much. He rightly said:

Maqaam Faiz koi rah mein jacha hi nahien
    jo kooe yar se nikle to sooe daar chale.

“Bahaar Aaie” is a very effective poem. When I heard this poem in the melodious voice of Tina Sani, I started weeping. Faiz Ahmad Faiz Said

“Bahaar aaie to phir se jaise ubel pare hain azaab saare”

All signs, signifiers and signified are very effective and important in the poetry of Faiz Ahmad Faiz. When we study the poetry of Faiz Ahmad Faiz according to recent critical approaches, we can conclude that even new generation is very much impressed by this immortal poet. He had vast study of international literature and new trends of criticism and research. I have also studied “Meezan” a book of essays written by this great thinker of the world. His role in the progressive movement of Urdu literature is worth mentioning. He was sent to jail but he remained firm on his ideas.
    He said :

yeh dagh dagh ujala yeh shab guzeda saher
    woh intezaar thaa jis ka yeh woh saher to nahien

bala se ham ne na daikha to aur daikhen ge
    faroghe gulshon o sot e hazaar ka mausam

His poetry will keep him alive for centuries.

2. M. U. Ahmad says:

In late sixties (1968?) Pakistan Tobacco had released a promotional record. It has two Ghazal of Faiz Saheb: Sheeshoun ka masiha koi nahin and Khuda woh waqt na laey ke sogwar ho tu rendered by Firdousi Begum and Talat Mehmood respectively.
    If some has a copy of it, I would like them to share it.
    Thanks.

3. Ansa Kausar Perveen Rani says:

I studied Faiz Ahmad Faiz with keen interest. I think freedom of thought in his poetry is the most important thing in his poetry. Our independent position can not be accepted as he truly said:

yeh dagh dagh ujala yeh shab guzeda seher
    woh intezaar tha jis ka yeh woh seher to nahien

Faiz Ahmad Faiz always spoke in the favor of oppressed and helpless people of our society. He did likes tyrannies and injustice in the world. His poetry is against cruel and corrupt mafia, which has ruined the lives of poor people. He says:

jo zulm pe lanat na kere aap laaeen hai
    jo jaber ka munkir nahien woh munkir-e-deen hai.

His voice is very bold when he says;

her ek oolil umer ko sada do keh apni fard-e-amal sanbhaale.

Cruel and corrupt mafia will be held responsible for their criminal activities. He says:

jaza saza sab yaheen pe ho gi
    yaheen se utthey ga shor -e- mehsher
    paren ge daar-o-rasn ke laale.

I studied “Nuskha Hai Wafa”Kuliyaat Faiz Ahmad Faiz. I can say honestly that there is no comparison possible with this great thinker and poet with any other creative write. Faiz Ahmad Faiz shines on the horizon of literature like sun while others are merely stars. My favorite poems are:
    Bahaar Aaie.
    Tere gham ko jaan ki talash thi.

Na ganwao nawak e neem kash.
    Gulon mein rang bhare Baad e nau Bahaar chale
    Kab yaad mein tera saath nahien kab hath mein tera haath nahien

Progressive thought in the poetry of Faiz Ahmad Faiz brings positive awareness among people of the world.

4. Dr.Ghulam Shabbir Rana says:

I studied these comments. All the writers have expressed their views honestly and wisely. It is my good fortune that I have opportunity to study this collection. Dawn has done a glorious and historical work in this connection. This will help researchers in future. Faiz Ahmad Faiz will be remembered for ever. His struggle for human rights and for the welfare of poor people made him immortal. His poetry will be remembered for centuries.

5. ashok says:

Compare him with Sahir, Shakeel who wrote their kalaam which influenced millions of people. I wish those who recite ghazals and adaab shairee must remember that only those shaiers who have seen muflisee and ifflaas can really go down the memory lane of millions of people.

Urr Ja Urr Ja Pysay Bhanwray
    Kuch Na Milay Gaa Kharoon Say
    Kagaz Kay Phool Jahaan Khiltay hoon
    Baith Naa Unn Golzaron Pai
    Dekhi Jamaanay Kee Yaari
    Bichray Subhi Baari Baari

Faiz was a noble sole and his kalaam was honest.

6. zahir shah says:

The thinking and commitment of Faiz to his ideals are great. Now it is clear that for this weary world which is replete with terrorism and economic exploitation the only solution is a proletarian revolution which is at far with the ideals of Faiz Ahmad Faiz.

7. nadir says:

Faiz Sahib’s prophetic words at the eve of the birth of Bangladesh ring similarly and disturbingly true in 2009:

“Hum key thehray ajnabi……

Khoon kay dhabey dhulain gay
    Kitni barsaaton kay baad……….”

8. Nasir says:

Wapis nahin phera koi farman junoon ka
    Tanha nahin lautee kabhi awaaz jurus ki

Is ishq na us ishq pay naadim hay magar dil
    Har daagh hay is dil main bajuz daag-e-nadamat

9. irfan afzal says:

Unn dukhi maaon ke naam
    raat mein jin ke bache bilakte hain
    aur neend ki maar khai huay bazuon se
    sambhalte nahin, dukh batate nahin
    minnaton zariyo se bahalte nahin

“The universality and relevance of these lines and the rest of the poem can hardly be overemphasized as far as Pakistan is concerned”
    ‘aaj ki shaam, faiz sahib ke naam”

10. Khalid Salamat says:

Indeed he was the greatest Urdu poet of his time.
    Had he been born in the West, Faiz would have surely been honored with a Nobel prize, ‘yun na tha mein ne faqat chaha tha yun ho jaye.’

11. I am reminded by Faiz’s comment, Once at Mr Ali’s mansion in London during their exile, narrated by Faraz that how these people were worried about small things. Faiz would love masses and he was their consciousness:

Aj bazar ma paba
    Phir hame katal ho,avo yaro chalo

Then:Ham dhakhege
    behind this ray of hope and valour and faith was Asad music of humanity also:

And maie piye,na unse mile,na gul he Khele,
    ajeeb ranng ma ab ki bahar guzre hai

who would understand whom, then drawing a universal cord:
    maine is isq ma kya khoya ha kya Paya
    juz tere aur ko samjavo tou samja na sakoo.

People loved him and he loved them immensely. A great legend and a wonderful person that has become part of our memory.

12. Ali says:

1.-TUMHARI YADE K JUB ZAKHAM BHERNAY LAGETAY HEI
    KISI BEHANAY TUMHEI YADE KERNAY LAGTAY HEI

13. Ata says:

vo buto.n ne Daale hai.n vasvase ki dilo.n se Khauf-e-Khudaa gayaa
    vo pa.Dii hai.n roz qayaamate.n ki Khayaal-e-roz-e-jazaa gayaa

jo nafas thaa Khaar-e-gul banaa jo uThaa to haath qalam huye
    vo nishaat-e-aah-sahar ga_ii vo viqaar-e-dast-e-duaa gayaa

na vo rang fasl-e-bahaar kaa na ravish vo abr-e-bahaar kii
    jis adaa se yaar the aashnaa vo mizaaj-e-baad-e-sabaa gayaa

abhii baadabaa.N ko tah rakho abhii muzatarib hai ruKh-e-havaa
    kisii raaste me.n hai.n mu.ntazir vo sukuu.N jo aake chalaa gayaa

14. syed wajih hamdani says:

Faiz sahab was like a ‘breeze in the wilderness’-a zephyr in the desert. Way back in December 1977 I happened to meet him in Lahore(model town residence). On a question, he was kind enough to tell that he is translating Austrian short stories in Urdu. Thirty two years have elapsed but those short stories have not been published as yet. Actually, this is a query from Shoaib Hashmi & Salima Hashmi. As his admirers we are waiting those short stories to published.

15. Ata says:

vo log bahut Khush_qismat the
    jo ishq ko kaam samajhate the
    yaa kaam se aashiqii karate the
    ham jiite jii masaruuf rahe
    kuchh ishq kiyaa kuchh kaam kiyaa

kaam ishq ke aa.De aataa rahaa
    aur ishq se kaam ulajhataa rahaa
    phir aaKhir tang aakar ham ne
    dono.n ko adhuuraa chho.D diyaa

16. Abul Mohibullah says:

If ever, My country is freed
    From the torture of the ruler
    You will always be remembered
    As the fighter against torture.

Had the people woke up Before
    Marched and Burnt alive those dictators
    We could breathe the fresh Air
    With no fear of whatsoever.

17. Naushad Shafkat says:

Faiz Ahmed Faiz – the very name casts a spell of optimism and HOPE. I shall remain eternally grateful to DAWN for having introduced me to him. It happened in an unusual way. In early 1972, as a prelude to the Shimla conference, the Indian Prime Minister Mrs. Indira Gandhi sent her special envoy Mr. D.P. Dhar, a career diplomat, to Karachi for talks with our Foreign Secretary the late Mr. Aziz Ahmed. DAWN reported that after Mr. Dhar had got into his car at the Airport he suddenly got off and walked towards Mr. Aziz Ahmed and requested him for the collected works of ‘my Guru, Faiz Sahib’. That evening a gift wrapped set of Faiz Sahib’s works were delivered to Mr. Dhar. When Mr. Dhar was leaving after two days he was asked at the airport about the future of Indo-Pak relations. In reply he stated; “I can do no better than what my Guru has said;

‘Aaye haath uthain hum bhi
    Hum jinhe rasm-e-dua yaad nahin
    Hum jinhe soz-e-muhabat ke siva
    Koi but koi Khuda yaad nahin
    Aaye arz guzarain ke nigar-e-hasti
    Zehr-e-imrooz mein shireen-e-a-farda bharde’.

Thus began my journey of discovering Faiz Sahib. As I said at the beginning Faiz Sahib was a poet of HOPE more than anything else. He suffered incarceration, exile and being banned in his own country and yet never lost HOPE. He faced all his travails with a smile and never spoke in acerbic terms. His iron fist was always covered with a velvet glove. Faiz believed that as long as there was life there was HOPE. Even in the dreaded times of military dictators he could say;

‘Be kasi ka koi darma nahin karne detey
    Ab to veerana bhi veeran nahin karne detey;
    Dil ko sadh lakht kiya seenay ko sadh para kiya
    Aur hamein chaak garaiban nahin karne detey;
    Un ko islam ke lut jaaney ka dar itna hai
    Ab who kafir ko musalman nahin karne detey’

Then at the end of this melancholic poem he again ignites a ray of HOPE;

‘Jan baqi hai to karne ko buhat baqi hai
    Ab who jo kuch ke meri jan nahin karne detey’.

At another place he writes;

‘Meri jaan aaj ka gham na kar
    Ke na jaane qaatib-e-waqt ne
    Kisi Apne kal mein bhi bhool kar
    Kahin likh rakhi hon massarratain’.

To the dictators he said;

‘Qafas hai bas mein tumhare
    Tumhare bas mein nahin;
    Chaman mein aatish-e-gul ke
    Nikhar ka mausam.’

Faiz Sahib makes very easy reading and memorizing. This is due to the musicality in what he writes. Who can forget his ‘Hum dekhain gey, laazim hai ke hum bhi dekhain gey’ or ‘Dasht-e-tanhaee mein’.

At the launching of a CD dedicated to Faiz Sahib his son-in-law Shaoib Hashmi narrated an incident about Faiz Sahib which reflects on his wit and sense of humor. Col. Majeed Malik, an old friend of Faiz Sahib, brought the manuscript of his poetic works to Faiz Sahib for ‘Islah’. He also asked Faiz Sahib to suggest a name for the book. Faiz Sahib immediately said “ Qalam Majeed”.

Love and respect for the down-trodden was not only confined to his poetry. He had practically striven for them. Naomi Lazard, who has translated Faiz Sahib, writes that she met Faiz Sahib at an International conference and was enthralled by him. She asked for his address so that she could remain in touch with him. Faiz Sahib said ‘Just write “Faiz-Pakistan” and I will get your letters’. She laughed at the time but later realized that it was true. The reason; Faiz Sahib had been the Founder/President of the Pakistan Post Office Workers Union so all his letters were delivered to him no matter where he was in Pakistan!!

I must end with what I consider the pinnacle of HOPE that anyone can possibly attain. Faiz sahib writes;

‘Jalwa gah-e-wisaal ki shammein
    Woh bujah bhi chuke agar to kya
    Chand ko gul karein, to hum jaanein’.

18. wajih hamdani from kamoke says:

Faiz sahab is no more an unsung Messiah. After Ghalib & Iqbal, he is the most quoted poet. His was the voive of the ‘wretched of the Earth’Just one couplet will suffice to prove the point:
    Aay khak nishinoo uth baithoo wo waqt qareeb aa poohncha hai;
    Jab takht graiay jaingay jab taj uchallay jaingay.

19. Khaled Ikbal says:

Of Urdu poetry’s undying greats, various poets are taken into account for different things. While Ghalib is legendary for his pining and bathos, Iqbal for his patriotism, fervour and elevation to the status of the national poet, Faiz Ahmed Faiz is, nonetheless, remembered as a revolutionary on the 25th anniversary of his death. He was really a humanist in the best sense of the word, and his poetry was free of any prejudice, racial or religious.

He was drawn into the charmed circles of Lahore’s Aesthetes Club and later, the Progressive Writers Movement, as his genius was recognized early, Though, he started his early schooling at a madressah, he surprisingly and progressively became more involved with the Communist Party of Pakistan, after Masters Degrees in English and Arabic Literature.

Faiz’s politics was greatly inclined towards the Bolshevik Revolution, like many of his contemporaries.

Faiz also served in the British Army’s Information department in World War II. His final posting saw him heading the propaganda department in Singapore. Soon after his discharge, Pakistan came in to being in the map of the Subcontinent.

After partition, he decided to stay in Lahore, where he distinguished himself as a journalist and edited the Pakistan Times as well as the Adab-e-Latif and Lail-o-Nihar.

But an iconoclastic leftist and an apostate were not easy things to be in newly independent Pakistan. He was soon charged with treason and imprisoned for complicity in the Rawalpindi Conspiracy Case. But Faiz’s years at Hyderabad Jail brought out some of the greatest poetry he ever wrote. Dast-e-Saba and Zindaan-Nama, two of his most acclaimed works, were produced during this period. He continued to write poetry through the 70s and early 80s and won the Lenin Peace Prize, the Lotus Award and several honorary doctorates. Other notable recipients include Pablo Neruda, Nelson Mandela, W. E. B. Du Bois, Bertolt Brecht, Fidel Castro and Nobel Prize winning Chemist Linus Pauling. The real award for a poet is the love and appreciation of his fans and Faiz enjoyed both for most of his life. He recorded for the Library of Congress in 1977 which has fifty two works by him.

Before his death in 1984 he was also nominated for the Nobel Prize.

There were many grave incongruities in his personality. He championed the cause of the poor and disenfranchised through his poetry, but enjoyed the life of a wealthy man with a penchant for fine Scotches. He believed passionately in communism, but fraternized easily with the social and industrial elite. President Ayub Khan decided that the best way to destroy Faiz’s spirit was to give him power. He appointed him President of the National Council of Arts and gave him a state bungalow. Soon Faiz succumbed to the ease of life and the pleasures of the bottle. In a chilling last poem, it seemed as though he had a premonition of his death:

Ajal key haath koi aa rahaa hai parwaana

Na janey aaj ki fehrist mein raqam kya hai

[Death has some ordinance in its hand,

Alas, I don’t know whose names are on the list today]

20. Gazoo Martian says:

the whole ghazal starting: gulon mein rang bharey, baad-e-naubahar chaley

tum aye ho na shab-e-intizar guzri hay

Gazoo Martian

21. Nauman Adil says:

Aey khak nashino uth betho
    woh waqt kareeb aa phuncha hai
    jb takht girai jaingay
    jb taj uchalay jaingay

22. Immad Sadiq says:

Na Gawaon Nawak e Neem Kash, Dil e Reza Reza Gunwa Diya
    Jo Bachay Hein Sang Samet Lo, Tun e Dag Dag Luta Diya

Mera Charagar Ko Naveed Ho, Saf e Dushmana Ko Khabar Karo
    Wo Jo Qarz Rakhtay Thay Jan Per, Wo Hisab Aj Chuka Diya

Karo Kaj Jabeen Pe Sar-e-Kafan, Mere Qatilon Ko Gumaan Na Ho
    Ke Ghuroor-e-Ishq Ka Baankpan, Pas-e-Marg Hum Ne Bhula Dia

Udhar Aik Harf Ki Kushtni, Yahan Lakh Uzr Thaa Guftni
    Jo Kaha To Sun Ke Ura Dia, Jo Likha To Parh Ke Mita Dia

Jo Rukay To Koh-e-Garaan Thay Hum, Jo Chalay To Jan Se Guzar Gaye
    Rah-e-Yaar Hum Ne Qadam Qadam, Tujhay Yadgaar Bana Dia

23. SYED ZAFAR KAZMI says:

Faiz shall ever be remembered, sung for and celebrated as one of the greatest Urdu poets of all times and perhaps quite unrivaled from the perspective that his work embraced a unique blend of revolutionary zest and highly poetical beauty of conventional ghazal. This masterful duo without sacrificing one for the other is Faiz’s and Faiz’s alone. Of the so many there, one so typical is reproduced here:

Aa Ke Waabastaa hain us husn ki Yaadain tujh sey.
    Jis ney iss dil ko Pareekhana banaa rakhkha thaa
    Jis ki Ulfat mein Bhula Rakhkhi thi Dunyaa Hum Ney.
    Dahr Ko Dahz Kaa Afsaana Banaa Rakhkha thaa

Aashna hain Terey Qadmon Sey Woh Raahain Jin Par.
    Uss Ki Madhosh Jawaani Ney Inaayet ki Haiy.
    Karwaan Guzrey Hain Jin Sey Usii Raanaayee ke.
    Jis ki In Aankhon Ney Bey Sood Ibaadat Ki hai.
    Tujh sey Khaileen Hain Woh Mahboob Hawaayien Jin Mein.
    Us ke Malboos Ki Afsurdah Mahek Baaqi Haiy.
    Tujh pey Bhi Barsaa Haiy Uss Baam Sey Mehtaab Kaa Noor.
    Jis Mein Beeti Hui Raaton Ki Kasak Baaqi Haiy.

Tu Nei Dekhi Haiy Woh Paishaani, Woh Rukhsaar, Woh Hont.
    Zindigi Jin Ke Tasawwur Mein Ganwaa Di Hum Ney.
    Tujh Pey Utthi Hain Woh Khoyee Hui Saaher Aankhain.
    Tujh Ko Maaloom Hai Kiyon Umr Ganawaa Di Hum Ney.

Hum Pey Mushtarka Hain Ehsaan Gham-e Ulfat ke.
    Itney Ehsaan Ke Ginwaoon Tu Ginwaa Na Sakun.
    Hum Ney Iss Ishq Mein Kiyaa Khoyaa Hai Kiyaa Seekhaa Hai.
    Juz terey Aur Ko Samjhawoon Tu Samjhaa Naa Sakun.

Aajizi Seekhi Gharibon Ki Himaayet Seekhi.
    Yaas O Hirmaan Ke,Dukh, Dard Ke Maanaa Seekhay.
    ZeirDaston ke Masaaib ko Samajhna Seekha.
    Surd Aahon ke, Rukh-e Zard Ke Maanaa Seekhay.

Jub Kahein Baith Ke Rotey Hain Woh Baikas Jin Ke
    Ashk Aankhon Mein Bilaktey huey Sow Jaatey Hain.
    Naatawaanon Ke Niwaalon Pey Jhapat tey Hain Uqaab.
    Baazoo toley Huaiy Mandlaatey Huaiy Aate Hain.

Jab Kabhi Biktaa Haiy Bazaar Mein Mazdoor Kaa Gosht.
    Shahraahon Pey Gharibon Kaa Lahoo Bahta Haiy.
    Aag sei Seeney Mein Reh Reh Ke Ubalti Haiy Naa Poochch
    Apney Dil Per Muhjey Qaaboo Hi Nahein Rehtaa Hai.

TRANSLATION:

Come so because are attached memories of that beauty
    With thee
    What had made a fairy’s house of this heart.

In love of whom, we had forsaken the world
    Familiar are with thy steps those paths
    What had been bestowed with the blessings of that intoxicated youth.
    Over what have passed the caravans of that beauty
    What these eyes have worshiped fruitlessly
    With thee have played those lovely breezes

In which lingers the melancholic scent of that garment.
    On thee has also showered from the same moon the glow of iridescence
    In which resides the sweet tease of nights past.

Thou hast witnessed that forehead, the cheeks, and the lips
    Life in whose imagination have we wasted
    Towards thee have turned those magical eyes

Well known unto thou is why the whole life was given away.

Common are the favors of love pain on both of us.
    So many favors, that count if I do I can’t.
    What have I lost and learned in this love
    Except thee if to anyone I choose to explain, I cannot.

Humility have I learned, and have I learned to befriend the poor
    Deprivation, pain and suffering’s meanings have I learned.
    Learned I have to understand the pain of the oppressed.
    Cold opaque eyes and the meanings of pale sick faces I have learned.

Whenever moan those helpless whose
    Tears dry in the eye wells before letting out
    On the crumbs of the weak, the darting vultures
    When, with unrestrained might they hover and descend upon.

Whenever sells in the bazaar the flesh of the laborer
    And, on the streets flows the blood of the poor
    An inferno of fire ceaselessly erupts from my chest.
    My heart’s all restraint is lost.

24. EJAZ UR REHMAN says:

thay bazm main sub dooday saray bazm say shadan
    baikar jalaya hamain roshan nazri nay

na deed hai na sukhan ub na harf hai na piam
    koi bi heelaiy taskeen nahin aur aas buht hai
    umeeday yar nazar ka mizaj dard ka rung
    tum aaj kuch bhi na phucho kay dil uddas buhat hai

25. A. Khan says:

In today’s world of chaos the Faiz, the great humanitarian, is trying to console all who desire to share their pains and suffering with him:

Aik Arzoo (A Wish)
    Mujay Mooj-zoohN pay yaqueeN Nahi magaar arzoo hay kay jab kazaah
    Mujay buzm-e-Dahr say lay cha’ley
    Toh pher aik bar yeh azaaN daiy
    Kay La’haad say loo’T kay aha’sakooN
    Ta’ray der pay aah kay sa’dah karooN
    Tuj’hay ghum’ghaar key hoo Taa’lab to Taa’ray haa’zoor maiN aah’ra’hooN
    Yaih nay hoo toh soo’ay rah Aa’dam maiN pher aik bar rawa’naah hooN

A Wish
    I do not believe in miracles
    But I wish that when death carries me away
    from the domains of time and space,
    It should allow me just once
    to return from the grave
    and knock at your door and ask,
    If you need someone to share your grieves
    Here I come
    And if you do not have such desire,
    I may once again travel to the other world.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement