Reliving March 25, 1992

Reliving March 25, 1992

March 25, 1992 will always be remembered as one of the most glorious days in the history of Pakistan cricket. It was on this day, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, that Imran Khan’s ‘cornered tigers’ completed their fairytale journey at the cricket world cup. Wasim Akram’s magic, Ramiz Raja’s flight of victory, Aamir Sohail’s sajda, Imran Khan’s controversial speech are the various moments that spring to mind when one recollects the magical 22-run win.

What is your favourite moment from the final? Where did you watch it? Did you think Pakistan would be able to pull it off? Who was your player of the match?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

293 Responses to “Reliving March 25, 1992”

1. Jatinder Singh says:

It was a proudest moment for Pakistan. I was so happy to see them winning as since the very first World Cup Pakistan was my favorite team. They almost beat West Indies in 75 but it was sensational in 92. I did not know the controversies or problems as I watched on pay per view in USA. I watched with my family and friends eating (BARFI) whole World Cup. Pak team became my favorite when Inzamam destroyed some team with his explosive batting and I predicted that Pakistan is going to win and it did happen. Some one say that where great players like Imran, Javed and Others in cricket and Shabaz, Islah, Shehnaz in Hockey; I think players are there in team but with all support system around hockey teams of Both Pakistan and India is deplorable. I know some of great Pakistan Hockey players who are in US and feel bad that when Pakistan do not do well. It is a magic when Pak plays India in hockey. I hope both teams will play final in coming cricket final and CWG hockey. Inshallah they will bring back glory days

2. Arshad says:

Wasim Akram cleaning up Alan Lamb and Chris Lewis. The two magic balls. Left arm, coming round the stumps one angling in and then moving out after pitching, the other moving in after hitting the seam – ?? “???” ??? ?? ?? ?????? ??? ?? -

3. Mobashar says:

It is a shame that we feel soooo good about what was acheived years back, but cannot show the same spirit and guts in the present.

4. mskhan says:

I watched it at home as a 10 year old eager cricketer and Wasim bhai’s double hits, i.e., Lamb and Lewis, were definitely the moment of the Final. I was very confident we will win especially after the way we got there. After performing with both bat and ball I don’t think anyone else deserved it more in the final except Wasim bhai….this ofcourse includes my natural “Wasim Akram Fan club” bias.

5. Shahpur Jamall says:

The relevance of the day in 1992 was that it showed what a great leader can do with a less talented team then many we have had. Fearless, unified, the “Cornered Tigers”. It made me proud to a Pakistani.

Sadly I will aslo remember how my hero and one of the Greatest Allrounders the game has ever seen let us down with his speech. It was all bout him and his cause…. not his team or his nation.

6. Ibraheem Khan says:

I was in Lahore. Wasim Akram’s in-swinging delivery to Chris was and still overwhelms whenever i watch it again. I believe our cricketers will pull it off again.

7. Yousuf Kamran Khamisani says:

The tigers! That was one heck of a team fighting against all odds. After losing the first match by 10 wickets they proved that we may sleep longer as a nation but we are not dead. When we fight, we can beat the unbeatable.

8. Ferya Ilyas says:

I was a little kid at that time and the only thing I remember is my parents and siblings rejoicing the victory. Alhamdulilah. I cherished it when I got a little older..:)

9. Faraz Paracha says:

I can barely remember that day because I was only 4 years old then but the only thing which I remember and can still recall without any help is the song The World Is Coming Down And The Flags Are Up:)

Pakistan Zindabad.

10. Aziz says:

Wasim’s back to back wickets of Allan Lamb and Chris Lewis was the favorite part of the game. I still remember both deliveries. Even my mom, who hates cricket was dancing when Wasim took those two wickets and turned the game over.

11. Uzbeck says:

Man those were the days…a fantastic victory…celebrating with friends and family…sadly someone like my dad who was a huge sport enthusiast, not with us anymore…may Allah rest his soul in peace.

12. roomi says:

Imran’s leadership won it – we have had far better teams that self destructed and Imran was below par after injuries but his apparent “cornered tiger” speech in the must win game against the Aussies won it for us. He wore the t shirt with a Tiger in the toss with Allan Border knowing he would be asked about it. And when the interviewer asked him he said Pakistan team is like a wounded tiger. A tiger is most dangerous when its injured and cornered. Uplifting words (for an average outfit that got bundled out for 74 against England in the earlier games) The remark reportedly turned Allan Border’s face pale and was a tactic to beat the tough Aussies mentally. We certainly make captains like that anymore. He should have won it in 1987 when the team was the strongest in the world and we were at his peak.

His speech afterwards and what he said in the heat of the moment is forgivable compared to what he achieved. Promoting himself at no.3 and taking the heat knowing the fragility of the batting order and making sure they don’t get bundled out for paltry totals then winding his bowlers enough to go for the kill. Genius.

The moment of the world cup was Wasim akram’s 2 wickets in two balls and Imran lifting the trophy.

13. Abrar ahmad says:

I like that person which work for Pak. I like Imran khan.

14. Syed Faisal Miami, FL USA says:

This was ultimately Imran’s leadership that got us to this victory. He managed the entire situation very well and kept the team focused. I am so proud of Imran Khan and others like him in Pakistan. I wish he get to lead Pakistan as a Prime Minister in the near future.

15. unfortunately did not watch, no coverage or media in US at that time, heard later and proud of the
    acomplishment of PAKISTAN and its CRICKET.
    how I can watch the piece of history.

16. Waqas Haider says:

Akram’s in coming delivery to Chris Lewis which cleaned him up… Gave me goose bumps lolz

17. Jameel Qazi says:

I was in Rawalpindi and just before iftaar the last wicket that brought the joy of that great victory followed by the sounds of firecrackers all around is the most unforgettable moment.

18. Armagan says:

This was the greatest day in Pakistani cricket, unfortunately in the UK all the cricket was on pay tv for the first time so I had to listen to it on the radio, I remember waking up early in the morning just so I could listen to it, Live.

19. Faiz says:

Winning a tournament like world cup is a dream. Certainly the achievement still takes us back to march 1992. What a drama we had in 92 world cup.

While enjoying those moments we are still missing a lot of pieces in the puzzle.

No one ever bothered to ask Imran, when Pakistan was humiliated by ENGLAND (Pakistan was all out for 71 or 76) and defeated by INDIA and others, why he said “World Cup 92 is not our target, our target is coming ENDLAND Test Series”. ( this series was scheduled after the world cup 92).

Do we ever remember Zahid Fazal and Iqbal Sikander were also part of the team. Who are they? Who picked them? Did we remember Javed Miandad, the actual architect of the winning squad was left behind and called later into the world cup. Did we remember Magician abdul Qadir was also not part of the team.

On the top Imran did not mention his supporters, both Pakistanis and Australians, and team members in the winning speech. Did he? He started with ‘I’ and ends with ‘I’. What a shame. Where the England Captain thanks English Supporter in his speech.

• Zulfiqar Haider says:

Mr Faiz.
      Nothing succeeds like success, so even if Imran did everything wrong as you say he did, at the end of it all he led the team to success and once a person achieves success his negatives are forgotten most of all by him!

Besides should we cherish the winning moment or cry over the fact that Javed was a late call-up (even if that was the case), or should we blame Imran for not playing Zahid Fazal or Iqbal Sikanadar in trying to search for a wining combination or should we praise him for picking Mushtaq Ahmed (another spinner) and Amir Sohail (another opener and spinner) who proved more successful? Should we curse Imran for saying the test series in England was his real aim (if he said that at all!) or should we praise him for taking the pressure off his team by giving such a statement? (Remember Younis Khan last year said 20/20 is just fun which took the pressure off his team and he ended up lifting the cup!)

Finally should we act like a miserable nation blaming each other for the mistakes (even if they are mistakes) we have made or should we cherish a few moments of glory we achieved in our history and get inspired by those moments to achieve more?

Think about it!!!!

• shaz says:

must be a MQM supporter

20. Ashfaq KHan says:

It was a great team effort and superb display of unity. All the team played well and with passion. I love that match. Waseem was the main hero, every body played their part but it was Imran Khan leadership that eventually won the world cup for us. He fighted like a warior and displayed superb leadership skills.
    The whole nation is proud of our victory in 1992 and we are eager to see our guys to win it again and again but we need the spirit and unity of the 1992 team and we also need the leadership skills which matces Imran Khan. I have no doubt in the talent of the present team but I have doubt on their unity and passion and we importantly we dont have a great captain like the great Imran.

21. Amyn Lakhani says:

For those who don’t remember, here are the champions!! THE TEAM
    Imran Khan (C), Javed Mianded, Salim Malik, Rameez Raja, Aaqib Javed, Aamir Sohail, Inzamam-Ul-Haq, Ijaz Ahmed, Iqbal Sikander, Moin Khan, Mushtaq Ahmed, Wasim Akram, Wasim Haider, Zahid Fazal

22. salman a. khan says:

victory was insight when wasim bowled two magical deliveries to Lamb and Lewis. those moments are unforgettable even after so many years.

23. Mohammed Ali says:

The great moment was the magnificant over of wasim which changed the course of watch.
    seeing the team play as one unit was also thing which i miss in current team

24. Shehla Shoaib says:

I watched it with my father, grandfather and other family members. All were excited and sure about the victory.
    It was a team effort and magnificient Captancy inning. Every moment was unforgotable.

25. Omer Iqbal says:

The greatest moment was watching a beautiful women in the stand :)

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement