Reaction on the streets

Pakistan has blocked two popular websites due to a controversial competition being held on Facebook on May 20. How has the ban on Facebook and YouTube affected you? Has the block on our accessibility to these sites highlighted the fact that how addicted and dependent we are on social networking websites and forums? How do you plan to pass your time instead now that browsing videos and random profiles is not an option?

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

445 Responses to “Reaction on the streets”

1. Ali Raza says:

Well for a change, I’m happy this happened. I had always been wanting to cut my addiction on Facebook and Youtube, however,I never could. With the ban now, I don’t have another option! Already I am wondering on what I used to do before all this was there! Turns out its more actual physical interaction with others and less procrastination. I am actually getting things done and the to-do list is getting shorter, in other words my productivity at home as also increased. Reverting back to an old method kind of makes me feel good, in a way there is nostalgia! I am loving it and only getting to realize now that how technology and social networking sites had the youth enslaved.

I’d personally suggest all of you to look on the brighter side of this opportunity. Explore what you did have the chance to before since you don’t have another option anyway! Change sometimes is good and I would suggest everyone to make the most of it and break free of the tomb of solitude our computers had us confined into.

2. Sameer says:

I live in Canada. I used to access the facebook before, but now in protest, I have deleted my account. It is more than enough. Just as most of the people would not tolerate insult, I would not tolerate insult on my Prophet PBUH. It is period. I believe Pakistani court has made right decision. Anyway ban is only enforced until 31st May. So i do not know why there is so much fuss about it.

3. Umair Tariq says:

very nice..
    good news,Governments step really appreciable. .

hope facebook and youtube would permanently banned in future.

4. MIY says:

Although Im not sure how much of a time-killer facebook and youtube are (you could use them for creative purposes as well), I am all for blocking them if certain lines are crossed. Try posting anti-semitic content (which is also absolutely wrong) and see it being blocked by youtube/facebook in no time; and when something like this comes up, it is all for freedom of speech:such hypocrisy!

If all Muslim countries could unite and act together, then down go facebook/youtube profits and also the concept of ‘freedom of speech’. I sincerely hope and pray this happens because if this won’t unite muslims, then Im not sure what will

5. Shadman Sikandar says:

Salam, I personally think that if we have not imposed bans on these websites it would have encouraged them instead of learning some manners and respect for other religions. This ban made them suffer a lot and hence forced that cartoonist to disavow and apologize to the Muslim world. This is the best and a very diplomatic answer instead of coming out on roads. Freedom of expression has its on place which I believe on but respect for other people and religion should be kept in mind before using this freedom. They might have done this just to show their freedom of expression but they could have made caricatures of their leaders & politician instead of insulting a religion.

6. Muneeb Ahmed says:

Hi, Both websites are become the part of many people’s business. But when they show such behaviour then we can bear its ban, untill or unless they say sorry to us and put those criminals in the court of muslim scholors.

7. Aamer says:

I’m not sure what Pakistan and its citizen will accomplish by banning facebook and Youtube access? They can not restrict entire world from accessing these sites. If Govt of Pakistan is trying to impose some sort of sanction against Facebook and Youtube revenue streams, I doubt it will ever WORK !

8. Raza says:

it is a very good step. . .what is the use of face book in our life. it is only waste of time..we all love our
    prophet (p.b.u.h)..ALLAH 4 give us………..

9. Ahmad Tariq says:

First of all, banning FaceBook, Youtube and Wikipedia will be of no use for the following reasons:

0) I can still view cartoons made of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) through other websites, making it totally impossible for the state to track down every possible web site. This action will certainly encourage more Westerners to have more competitions like these and will not deter them in the name of freedom of speech.

1) People will find out other ways to access facebook through software solutions used by Chinese

2) Denying access to YouTube and Wikipedia is consonant with denying access to vital educational information for students and people alike.

10. Sara says:

Facebook is a waste of time if not use properly. I use facebook to connect to my family in Pakistan but I don’t spend a lot of time on it like I see some school kids do.

Having said that, “Ban the FB on March 20″ was an excellent step and I’m not using it today. But what I don’t agree with is, death threats etc. This situation can be better handled by media. Use electronic/print media to protest (with logic) so non-muslims can understand. Taking everything to the streets, is not a solution to such issues.
    I have yet to see some Muslim scholar coming out of hood and explain to non-muslims the importance of our believes and how we respect other religions etc. <— this will make a positive change, not the death threats.

11. Fizza Asim says:

Can anyone tell me the reason for Google being restricted??..From where will we do our research then?

12. Omar Haroon says:

Not really been much of a problem for me here since it’s quite easy to bypass this ban. Though I must say I’m surprised that people feel this ban will be beneficial cause now people won’t waste time on such sites. So much for being capable rational adults who have the ability to control their desires.

13. Aamir Iqbal says:

Bannng FB n YT is a good step, i am student as well as doing job. i appreciate this step

14. mohammad alam says:

This is ridiculous so now we ban you tube and face book whats next? Their are hundreds of website that are blasphemous so should we ban internet while we are at it.

We have to realize that their is freedom of speech that means anyone can say anything if you don’t like it you don’t have to view it.

• al majumdar says:

Dear Mr. Alam,

Sane voices like yours are a minority. I admire your courage to speak your mind on this forum, where most seem to have a view that is the opposite of yours. Religion was and should be a private matter of the individual. Unfortunately in these so called “modern” times organized religion seems to have hijacked public discourse and even state policy. We need more people like you all in all nations.

All the best

• imran mehmood says:

While not seeing it,means to ignore the blasphemy.this is absurd.if someone draws the cartoons of our parents,will we tolerate it.THEN there is a hadith about loving the Hazrat Muhammad (S.A.W) more than our parents.So how can we compromise with such a shameful incident.Being a Muslim i condemn the act and raises my voices against the conspiracy.

15. Sheraz says:

The ban is a good thing to protest,, they will loose money dear.
    but it should be for short period maximum a month. and the other specify page and videos should be ban permanantly.

16. akhan says:

FB is basically for people with zero intellect and too much time on them. Good that it has been banned, may it be banned forever it might prove out to be productive for this youth who like nothing better than putting up their personal pictures (mostly deceiving) and receiving compliments on them. Might not be the solution for the reason it was banned, but definitely productive. As for tolerance; there are things which we can tolerate, things which we cant tolerate, and things which we SHOULDN’T tolerate. And this competition tops the list of the things we as Muslims should not put up with.

17. asingh says:

Pass your time on your knees in the nearest mosque, praying for your country….

18. Danish says:

Facebook , Youtube wikipedia should be permanently banned.

19. Javeria Rao says:

We are definitely not facing a hard time. After all these applications were only meant for wastage of time.

20. Javeria Rao says:

We definitely are not facing a hard time at all. After all these applications were only meant for wastage of time.

21. Kanwal Rameez says:

Well it’s my right whether I want to visit the sites or not… Banning facebook was justified…. but banning youtube can never be…. Like i used to listen to Islamic lectures and naats on youtube daily… now i can’t cause it’s banned and barred….. Youtube is an open site anyone can upload watever he wants….. so there are good things in it which poeple would not b able to access! I believe govt banned youtube go gain vote bank…. it’s more of a political decision than religious!

22. Fatima says:

The argument that social networking sites are reasons why people waste time and become unproductive is baseless. People who want to spend time idling on the internet will find other networking or video sites to view. On the other hand, people who have used Facebook and Youtube for advertising, remaining in touch with friends, exchanging ideas, debating, expressing themselves, obtaining information, and education have been deprived. I have the right to access whatever information I deem fit to access. The state should not dictate what I can or cannot view. The state should not micro-manage my life. The state should not tell me what is blasphemous or what is unproductive.

23. hina says:

A great decision by LHC and PTA banning face-book.those who are saying that banning wont help need to think a little.well we Muslims are about 47% of face-book users and we have been asking face-book to stop this event but face-book was just ignoring us. If we unite and leave face-book all at once face-book looses 47% of its users. with this i think next time something like this event happens face-book will listen to us and will give importance to our beliefs.

24. Satya Issar says:

Agree too much time spent on FB & You Tube may be a source of time wasting, but you may learn something useful as well. Any criticism is always “productive” because it sets you thinking, You do not close your mind just because you disagree with it. Other faiths can live with criticism why not muslim?

25. Rahul Narwani says:

It is not a perfect solution to block these sites. If those sites contain certain material that can be restricted or deleted by consulting website authorites.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement