Karachi burns again

Karachi burns again

Violence triggered by the murder of Raza Haider, a senior leader of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement and member of the Sindh Assembly in Karachi on Monday claimed at least 35 lives, according to officials. Once again we saw Karachi burn last night as angry protestors took to the streets burning vehicles and gas stations. Gunfire could be heard in several locations as people stayed home in fear. Once again, we saw Karachi shutdown.

Where were you when the tragedy and the aftermath violence took place? Do you feel safe in Karachi?

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

125 Responses to “Karachi burns again”

1. Abdullah says:

Where are the so-moto action of JUSTICE IFTHIKHAR now??

2. abdullah says:

Last night my younger daughter said to me “Papa I am scared …what is this happening” Can any body provide the answer? Which type of Pakistan we are handing over to our children?

• ahmed says:

what is happening my brother is that we have left the Quraan and Sunnah of His messenger , we claim to be muslim but havent a clue about the message of Prophet Muhammad (sallalaahu alahiwasalam) was sent with, until we all ask Allaah o forgive us and turn to Him sincerely and try to implemen Islaam in our lives this humiliation and destruction will continue

3. Tahir Razvi says:

This is the city where I was born, this is the same place I left many years ago, What they have made out of this wonderful city once upon a time.

• irfan says:

this is the city,you were born, but some people who doesnt want to let you live in this city becouse he has his own way to enjoye thier amenities,they have right but nither you nor us,

4. Asif says:

People of Karachi, I mean ordinary citizens, must stand up and join hands to reject politics of violence, murder and loot. They MUST speak up. Silence is no more an option!!. The government has shown that it is more interested in compromises with killers to save itself.

5. Impose Martial Law..

6. zehba says:

they successfully avenged its mpa’s murder from innocent karachiites! way to go!

7. Aqil Siddiqi says:

I don’t understand, what we gain from burning innocent people shops and cars, destroying Govt Properties, and killing fellow citizens. When are we ever going to grow up. It goes to show you, why education is so important. If you want to settle the score, then find the real culprits behind these heinous crimes, not by destroying Pakistan. I was in Pakistan for a visit not too long ago, and it seems to me, as people have just given up hopes. Remember, there is always tomorrow. Forget about the past, and be determine to rebuilt your city and your country for your children..

8. Mujtaba Ahmed says:

Hi,

Very very sad situation overall in Karachi and particularly in Pakistan. This is not the Pakistan we wanted. First thing the founder of our beloved country said to have above everything is “Rule of Law”. Independent judiciary and independent law enforcement agencies is the answer to all problems. Of course this is could be the first step which will lead to education, poverty reduction and economic growth. All Pakistanis including leaders of ‘democratic’ parties must understand and believe in the equality of human beings without any discrimination of race, colour, religion and sects etc. I am disappointed with the performance of government and sad for the loss of lives and property.

I hope the government should come to senses otherwise new, and strong leadership is needed now!

9. Dr. Muhammad Iqbal says:

The great city of Pakistan, Karachi where I was born and raised is currently in shambles. My heart bleeds when I see what is happening to once the heart of Pakistan. All the Political parties are playing a game of Poker. As we know one can change cards to have success, similar is the case with the Politicians who are treating Karachi like a deck of cards and have decided to play poker. They change their statements whenever they want to for their own benefit and watching them on TV talking makes my heart further to bleed. All the so called caretakers are actually enemies of the great city and when I say all I mean all the Political parties. The changes are required at grass root level and people with a strong educational background and not a Political background should be given charge. The leaders often talk about Democracy and having said that do they know how many people in Pakistan can write the word Democracy and do they know the actual meaning of democracy. Karachi has become like a rotten school where all the students are bad and a new principal needs to take charge and he/she should either rusticate all the students or use a Cain to teach them a lesson. My children often ask me, papa why this all is happening in Karachi and I don’t have a reply for them. The only thing I do is tell them, my child I can’t answer your question.

• Touseef Ahmed Khawaja says:

This is in reply to Dr. Muhammad Iqbal’s comments (August 4, 2010 at 10:54 am). One thing is absolutely clear from the chain of target and sectarian killings since last year or so that the relevant authorities are failed to either establish suitable policies or implement those policies and laws in their true spirit. If we are talking about the change at grass root level, I would say, its not a one day, one month or even one year’s thing. Infect, bringing a massive change is all about initiating a process of public awareness of social and moral responsibilities, quality education and training, cultivating and embarrassing a constructive and productive thought process among youth and lots of other things. Now, here the question arises, how and by whom? So, the responsibility falls over us, the professionals of each and every sector in this country. This primarily include media particularly journalists who can provide a basis and ground for other professionals to carry on this process to bring about a change at grass root level. This will ultimately replace the existing policy makers and executors. Then, surely we will be able to guide our children what is expected from them as a responsible citizen.

• An amazingly true picture of the facts on ground…hats off!
      This absolutely matches my own thoughts of this great city becoming a class with bad students, needing a new staunch principle with the whip in her hand!

• Jahanzeb Khalid says:

Dr. Muhammad Iqbal, Tell the children the truth; If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children.You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.You talked about having educated politician and changes at the grass root level but are not telling your child the truth !! In the words of Sohail Warraich,”KYA YE KHULA TAZAAD NHE.”
      These children are the future runners of the country so tell them the truth and I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

10. After the whole day of violence and complete shutter-down, I decided to go to office today. So while coming through Liquatabad flyover, I heard massive gunshots from the nearby. Naturally all the cars at the flyover took the u-turn to back from where they had come. At the flyover there was a police mobile asking all of us to go back and save our lives. I think their duty was to go ahead and stop the terrorists but their high-command haven’t ordered them to do so…

11. Zeeshan B says:

Voilence that is so frequent in this city, just brings to mind once again how insecure everything is around us right down from the economy to the political setup. If only we could cut the point across to the establishment that security needs to be provided to the people first. 48 people should not fade into statistics! They were like us till a day ago and for their families they are anything but.

Not only do the killers of the MPA need to be brought to justice, but also for all those killed or effected in the aftermath of that grave incident. Karachi can’t keep burning anymore! It is my home and birthplace as it is for millions more.

12. Shoeb says:

have a MERCY”””””””

13. Alex says:

Mr. Khan,

Pakistani Politicians are corrupt and sold out. Islam is the Answer. I am not promoting Sharia law, but something like in Dubai.

• T. Khan says:

Alex,
      Even if somehow authorities can enforce the current laws; that will be sufficient to bring the law & order. Unfortunately in Pakistan “Fox is guarding the Hen House”.

14. Alex says:

Dear All Karachities,

Salaam to all, First of all I am saddened by the current wave of violence in Karachi and senseless loss of life and property. Anyone promoting ethnicity should be rejected. Islam is the answer to all problems. law and order must be established. under current circumstances no one can be in peace and harmony. foreign enemies want Pakistan to be a failed state.
    Please be kind to others and Allah will be kind to you. May Allah bless all Muslims and Pakistan. Ameen.

15. Suraj Tschand says:

It is really sad to see the burning of Karachi. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the Interior Ministry and Mr. Quraishi to make sure there is security in the city. Karachi is 80% of Pakistan’s economy and without Karachi, Pakistan is nothing, If the Central Government can not or does not want to secure Karachi, then it may as well kiss good bye to the nation.

16. sampath says:

I feel bad and sad for the common people are not able to go about their life and the street vendors eke out day to day earnings. the good people of pakistan should come to take back their country from the terrorising group of many factions.

17. AT says:

Lack of education ladies and gentlemen. Lack of education. Illiteracy amongst the masses is killing this country.

18. Naveed Shah Saeed says:

Loss of One Live is not worth the loss of Dozens of Lives! Let all the parties and personalities involved remember that revenge and destruction is not the first alternative. We are all Pakistanis with equal rights and responsibilities. Let our leaders rise above their short term political motives and remind themselves that adopting the Negative Way of Responding to any Challlenge is not the sign of Matured Leadership.

I wish all my Pakistani brothers and sisters would take a brief moment and Pray to Allah that the Curse of Revenge and Intolerance be wiped out from the hearts of all Pakistanis. Ameen.

19. Truth says:

People from outside Karachi still consider themselves foreigners and do not love Karachi as they should.

This is a cause of a problem.
    Bring back Mustafa Kamal & Mushraf.
    Karachi was very peaceful under Mustafa Kamal & get good support from ret Gen Mushraf.
    Taliban moved into the Karachi from NWFP & Punjab. They do not want to see Karachi in peace.
    Taliban and any extremist organizations not have any local support. So called foreigner from other province support them.

• Li says:

Hi Mr.Truth,

Please pay attention to the real truth that Karachi is build by those coming from other provinces. Take any tough job and they are doing it for you. Then how can u say that they don’t love Karachi.

In fact people are mislead by creating a hate against those who come from other provinces & specially from NWFP. If you say that Karachi don’t belong to those who come from other areas then how about applying the same principal to those who came from India? This is not the ideology of our religion and of our beloved country.

All Pakistan belong to all Pakistanis. I wish a time to come that people from Karachi go and work in as far as north of the country like NWFP and we live together like Pakistanis and not like Muhajir,Sindhi,Punjabi or Pathan.

So please don’t be a part of that hate producing propaganda and love yr country fellows as life is very short for love.

Cheers

20. sohail says:

Having lived in karachi for almost 20 years one thing has always bothered me…”our tendency to keep quite and pushing our ignorance to limit” , out of my personal experience and observation ruling parties appear to be more powerful than God in Pakistan.

They can do anything without spending a thought on how this would impact others, in this particular case they were protesting a murder by killing more people. Its about the time that people should stop ignoring such incidents and start raising their voices for ANY THING that is outside the bounds of law regardless of WHO is doing it.

We desperately need to change the way we look and react to such situations, if its un-lawful it should be resisted, if its against humanity it should be resisted!!!!!!

The only way we can change the situation is by changing ourselves….something thats long due…

21. faraz says:

I pray to god every day to give our people common sense, but all we are doing is following people like ZAID HAMID and believe that one day there will be revolution and Pakistan will be the strongest country. There is no need of revolution, what we need is common sense.

22. SM says:

THis is so sad. Apparently everyone agrees but no one knows the solution. All you can do as an individual is try to be a good person and hope that it will help in a small way. For the big picture though, can we rise against these parties without being corrupt ourselves? They will probably have us all killed too! I have given up all hope

23. T. Khan says:

99.9% of these murderers will hold their both ear-lobe for the fear & wrath of ALLAH if asked to abort their baby; however, have no mercy killing alive and healthy walking sole!

Murder, Reaction, Revenge, then Revenge & Revenge again! This cycle of irrationality in Pakistan; can it ever complete? Oh yes, it can, only when Pakistanis will embrace the light & leave the darkness behind!

24. M Ali says:

Can anybody in Karachi tell me how Karachi was before 1987 and now? This is what I believe, if you know by heart they are killers and even then you support them, definitely you will get punishment on the day of judgement!!!!!

25. kashif ali says:

I think whole army operation should be done in Karachi.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement