Karachi burns again

Karachi burns again

Violence triggered by the murder of Raza Haider, a senior leader of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement and member of the Sindh Assembly in Karachi on Monday claimed at least 35 lives, according to officials. Once again we saw Karachi burn last night as angry protestors took to the streets burning vehicles and gas stations. Gunfire could be heard in several locations as people stayed home in fear. Once again, we saw Karachi shutdown.

Where were you when the tragedy and the aftermath violence took place? Do you feel safe in Karachi?

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

125 Responses to “Karachi burns again”

1. Asim Baig says:

I think I have become numb to the thought of being safe or not. To be honest I have become used to to one thing or the other happening in Karach for the last so many years.

However, I believe it is taking a toll on our ‘Mental Health’.

I was at work when the latest round of bloodshed and violence erupted.

2. Sherry says:

All your comments are fine my enlightened Pakistani’s but what about the ones who can barely read english or let alone have access to the internet.
    Karachi is burning, damn them all who are responsible and damn all the politicians, all the activists, all the security apparatus and the government.
    My sympathy is only with the people who have lost their lives in the process.
    I am boggled, what the hell is wrong with Pakistan.

3. Shakil Meenai says:

Karachi burns again suggests that Karachi stopped burning. However since the past 25 years, starting from Bushra Zaidi case, Karachi has been continuously burning. Ask anyone who has lost a dear or a near one and they will tell you the same. However I am deeply troubled and saddened to what is happening in Karachi as I still have loved ones there.

4. Junior says:

I am going to Karachi almost every 3 month. I must say that people is very friendly and nice but, they lack one of the most important things to be in peace and confidence with their governors… THEY NEED LAW, AND ENFORCMENT OF IT.

The ones to pay for all that, are the poor and the ones that have to work all their lives for almost nothing.

5. fAHAD says:

It is really sad to see Karachi burning again. We should all deeply regret the loss of innocent lives.

6. Lahori says:

Not so long ago, Nadeem Paracha (a writer for Dawn) wrote the article “Thus Stands Karachi.” A pompous article about how Karachi and the people of karachi always knew about the threat of the Taliban to Pakistan. Well it comes full circle do the people of Karachi know what their major threat is? Karachi is Pakistan’s economic source but having the entire city shut for this MP’s funeral is riduclous. If this is how unstable karachi will be then Pakistan cannot be dependent on this city. The MQM and ANP need to put down their arms and function as any other party does. These parties buy votes not earn them. They are a disgrace to Pakistan.

7. Hey, I am sitting in New Delhi. I have listening about the violence in Karachi since the day I started to take interest in news. I wonder what makes Karachi so vulnerable to ethnic strife? And especially what keeps people of Pakistan forgeting that it’ll weaken their country and tarnish the image of their nation beyond repair. After reading the news, one of my non-Muslim friends commented “Look this shows that the Muslims of the sub-continent are unfit to manage a country.” I was forced to share his cynicism. But i am hopeful new generation Pakistanis and Karachiites will shed this bloody legacy

8. Noor ul Qamar says:

Unfortunately all three parties in Sindh have proved themselves inefficient and not capable of being in government. MQM has been in power for so long but has done talking only. ANP is completely gone case and can only abuse Punjab. Chief Minsiter from PPP appears to be “Buzurg Politician” only nothing else. The Federal Interior Minister was justifying the reaction as natural, adding salt to injury. The people of Sindh must evaluate their choice of representatives. It is question of our existence and of our children. Only those people who can deliver must be elected not those who spread hatred.

• You are absolutely right Noor Leaders and political parties have failed us.

• Syed Rafat Ali Jafri says:

I think if MQM believes that ANP killed there top leader. But in anger they should not hurt innocent coach drivers, Mochis, Teashops etc. Mr.Haider’s murder is very sad but we have seen hundreds of killings like these and I think there was no reason to react such brutally by MQM. Unfortunately I am an MQM voter and I feel equally responsible when a poor and innocent pathan looses his life for a sin he did not commit.

My heart goes for the families of poor drivers, mochis , chowkidar and others who lost their lives. Altaf Bhai has mentioned that he presented his case to Allah the Alimighty, I hope these innocent need no presenters, we all Pakistanis pray for their departed soul and ask justice from Allah.

9. vijay singh from ivory coast says:

the basic question is today where a common man should go for his safety and security

10. Mr A says:

where were rangers and police men ????
    i witnessed at least two buses that were being lit with fire.
    people jumped out of the bus to save their lives.
    but nobody was there to save them !

• Question is why burn buses, cars, damage property of people who are already in suffering the great miseries themselves, I wonder why they are so scared of what? when they are already facing their bearing their wrath! I think we people should come out in the open and fight them off, as you had started punishing street muggers, who looted people in buses…

Those who perform such heinous should immediately be taken to task by law enforcements as a really a lesson and example

11. Anum says:

I don’t have any words to say ,our hearts are heavy with sadness and tears, May GOD rest his soul in peace (amin). He is a true leader and nice nature beloved person, Oh GOD today my hands are not supporting me, There are no goodbyes for us, wherever you are, you will always be in our heart. We will remember you and love you forever. No words can fill the emptiness that we are feeling inside. May GOD safe our peoples and leaders from these terrorists.

• Pakistan says:

if you have no words then don’t write Anum why are you involving GOG

• Asim Baig says:

I am sure he was the Gem of Person….but we must also give a moment’s thought to the families of 49 other innocent people who lost their lives in vain in the aftermath..May Allah give them peace.

• Asma says:

Anum, I hope you have similar feelings for the NUMEROUS innocent people that have suffered because of one man dying… all people who died were loved by someone, will be missed by someone and probably the sole breadwinner for their families. The terrorists you refer to are PAKISTANIS and no one else.

• Jimmy says:

Asma, that was the most heart touching lines I ever read after long years. It is quite refreshing to see that humanity still exists.

• Faisal says:

Will second to Asma “the terrorists you refer to are PAKISTANIS and no one else.”

• Mujtaba says:

Can some body come up with a solution?

• Usman says:

Actually Anum and Asma, u know what… the bunch of leaders we got here with us are here only to stay for 5 years and the next 5 years as well maybe, and don’t care about the people at large…. The leaders and politicians are here just to get the most out of Pakistan as they can for themselves. We are on our own… Wish you both the best… and all patriotic Pakistanis as well the best…

12. TANVEER says:

Revolution is not required mr mandviwala.. just a bit of common sense.!!!!!!!!!

God help Pakistan and its people.

13. Asif says:

It is high time for the people of Karachi and Pakistan to realize that these corrupt and inept leadership is of their making. If people reject these politicians at polls, they will die a quickly. PLEASE REJECT ALL THOSE INVOLVED IN CRIMES

14. Junaid says:

I was in office when i heard the death of an MPA of MQM. I decided to better stay in office till the first round of violence and burning is over.

Assuming that my office is located in a safe area (Near PIDC; adjacent to CM House). We decided to have a dinner at a nearby shop. We ordered the food but before it was served. A guy with a TT pistol rushed in and forced everyone out. The traffic was horribly jammed outside and just when we got out of the shop. There was police deployed at the same place, but there was no stop to the people with guns rushing around the area forcing closure of the shop (I think this was not the duty of the police personnel).

Finally, we passed time watching movies in office. And then finally at 11 I left office and the commute that usually takes about 45 minutes took less than 10 mins, and i was home.

15. Zack says:

I am doctor in JPMC and i was on duty when it all began. Gunshot patients and Road Traffic Accident patients came pouring in like minutes after 7:30pm. The place was very hectic. There was shortage of Doctors and emergency personnel at the time. Patients with Gunshot were given priority. Even Females with gunshot injuries were brought. Some were even referred from other hospitals.

16. Jabbar Khan says:

Thousands of people died in Peshawar, FATA, Punjab; even Mian Iftikhar lost his only child. Did anybody make any harm to public property? Did anybody burn vehicles in Peshawar and Lahore? I do condemn the death of Raza Shaheed; but it does not mean that we should behave in this way. If all start behaving this way, then we have so many ‘deaths’ to protest over that the whole country will burn…

• Rahim malbari says:

Though I am for peace and everything, but may be that is what is wrong in Pakistan sir, not enough anger against terrorists !

• Khan says:

let us live in peace in Karachi…

• Khalid Shah says:

I totally agree with you Mr. Khan. I don’t understand where these people are taking our beloved country…god bless Pakistan

• danish habib says:

This is a planned move to give bad name to MQM, why would some body burn their own city.We all need a bit of comon sense

• Lahori says:

No body is giving them a bad name, they have given Pakistan a bad name.

• Asma says:

Danish,you need to expand your line of thinking and stop following the repetitive conspiracy theories that Pakistan is held hostage to.

• Rahim K says:

The whole damn thing is planned to give PAKISTAN a bad name. You’re worried about the image of a single politically and morally corrupt party (as are all others) but you’ve said nothing that shows you’re worried about the image of your country instead.

• Atta says:

Give this city to the true representative of this city (like Musharraf did) and you will see a prosperous Karachi.

I personally think that MQM and ANP are the two true political forces left in the country but unfortunately ANP cannot survive in Karachi.

• Habibullah says:

You people are absolutely right, why it is just happening in Karachi?? Why?? Why only this city is being targetted over and over again??? There must be a conspiracy to destablize this city because in the presence of heavy contingents of police and rangers, all are doing their duties as bystanders (keeping in view that the Rangers have given the police power in Karachi). All these law-enforcing personnel are following the directives of INVISIBLE HANDS. May Allah Keep this City and Pakistan away and out of these conspiracies and May Allah return all these bad things to the perpetrators AMEEN

17. SM says:

I always visit Pakistan and have lots of patriotism for Pakistan

I do not live in Pakistan but frequently visit Pakistan as we have an office in Karachi & Rawalpindi, my family lives in Karachi & when ever I call them my first questions is how is everything but unfortunately most of the time I hear the problems example no electricity, robbery in neighbor’s house, friends caught in mobile snatching and many more. The biggest problem is the law n order situation, I 100% agree that all the parties should be band in Pakistan but the question is who will do it??? Will the Army can or …………

I think their is no solution to this situation. I always tell my friends that there is no solution to the problems of Pakistan and no one is ready to take a single step to improvise this. I regretfully say that I have given all my hopes that this country will ever be a place to live.

• SM says:

I agree

• Atta says:

I agree SM,

Whenever you mix your brand of relgion with the politics, you would have problem like these. Banned all religous parties and abolish all unhuman so called islamic laws is the first step in the right direction.

18. Usman says:

Yes, I agree with Qadir, as our Police and stuff can’t do nothing. That is to be done…

19. Siraj Ahsan says:

This is the state of affairs in Pakistan….. Whom to blame? The situation represent what is wrong with the country…. We don’t realize we are not doing anything to help it survive… we are forcing the fast unraveling of the country.

20. A Qadir says:

A joint operation of Pak-Us-NATO forces is needed to rid Karachi of all Taliban + AlQaeda + Drug Mafia + Land Grabbers. You gotta do it and do it fast, these criminals wish to destroy Pakistan and create an Export Free Zone of Terrorists as well as Duty Free Zone for Drug & Ammunition.

• Nafees says:

The initiative HAS to come from the citizens of Karachi, not the outsiders like Pak-US-NATO Forces. Outsiders will ALWAYS have self interest, will always see ‘what’s in it for me?’ for intervention. Unless the citizens of Karachi with conscience, commitment and zeal to assert civic rights, ‘Save Karachi’ commitment, things will not change.

• Noor ul Qamar says:

What a naive approach. NATO and USA are not able to control situation in Afghanistan how they can do it in Karachi? I never knew that Taliban are so powerful that in places like North Karachi, Buffer Zone, Nazimabad, Liaqatabad etc, they can send guys with ammunition to close businesses and burn vehicles. Mr. Jabbar Khan is right, Data Darbar’s incident was a much bigger one, did any body get hurt in reaction? Main requirement is to make Karachi clear of all type of ammunition irrespective of MQM, ANP or other groups who may own it. Each one of us must condemn killing of innocent people in both action and reaction.

• I totally agree with Noor. Karachi is facing violence since late 80s and 90s when Taliban doesn’t exist in Pakistan. Karachi has developed its own kind of terrorism, a political terrorism and none other than political parties should be blamed for it.

• Uzair says:

NOOR-UL-QAMAR I am not trying to justify whatever is happening in Karachi but how on earth can you compare the blast at Hazrat Ali Hajweri’s Shrine with this one. Lahore’s incident was a terrorist attack and Mr Haider was a victim of target killing. I am sure you know the difference between the two.

By the way Hazrat Ali Hajweri did no belong to a political party either ;-).

21. Shahid Shafique says:

its so sad and ironic that no one is stopping such violence , CORRUPT leadership is the only reason why we are suffering from such hostality.

We are threatened by our own corrupt people and they are not letting any incident get away for their own benifit.

Many times it has happened specially in karachi when some incident occurs soon a blaze of violent activities started and no one is there to stop them where are rangers police etc they are just sitting idles waiting for thing to sattle down on their own.

its all because of top level corruption that has caused such brutality.

GOD BLESS PAKISTAN

22. Hussain Mandviwala says:

What it needs is an revolution, like the one in Iran but definitely not a religious one.. enough problems with that since everybody is a scholar in Pakistan and preaches their own ideology… bring on a revolution… a better one for the people of Pakistan

• Athar says:

i strongly believe that a revolution / radical surgery as commented is the answer to all the problems our beloved Pakistan is facing. Pakistan needs revolutionary decisions regarding what are the priority for the government, Law system , health system, Educating Masses, criteria for a leader and the list is on & on & on.
      But who will bring it ?
      Is there a single platform for all of us to unite?
      Will all the people will support one group / person ?
      Its so Sad that at end of the day I myself do the same as most if not all do, PRAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

• Uzair says:

I second that.

23. A Qadir says:

It’s not just a matter of ethnic clashes. What we are seeing is an organized attack on Pakistan and Pakistani way of life. MQM has been warning for a long time about movement of Taliban & other criminal elements to our city Karachi, anyone with any interest could see it coming. These enemies of Pakistan wish to destabilise Pakistan by hitting and damaging its backbone. If Karachi is hurt bad, Pakistan tumbles down to its feet. Karachi must be free of all such Talibanis and Al-Qaeda fundos — send them where they belong —–

• Dear A. Qadir,
      We all know Karachi is being owned by MQM and most of the part of the Karachi like Liaquatabad and Nazimabad are being in complete control of MQM. Secondly, the forces like Taliban need local support to exist and we all know that Karachi doesn’t provide them the support. Thirdly, it is the responsibility of the government of which MQM is a part to to ensure law and order in the country and if they can’t do that, they shouldn’t be in the government. Period….

24. Tauqir Rana says:

Had to fly back to `riyadh with family. It was the most terrifying one hour of our lives when we drove from North Nazimabad to Airport from 8 – 9 pm. My kids were and are still terrified by firing and what they saw. I really have to convince them next time to go back to Karachi

25. Faisal says:

Its all too painful for the people of this city. Its like this city has become ‘YATEEM’ and no one in the power has any serious intention of handling the situation. I wonder if a normal Karachitte can do anything about it except for running and saving their individual lives.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement