Rise and reach out

Rise and reach out

The worst floods in Pakistan’s history have carved a swathe of devastation across the land, leaving death and despair in their wake. The floods triggered by torrential monsoon rains have caused widespread devastation in northwest Pakistan, killing some 1,500 people and affecting more than four million.

In this desperate hour, we all need to rise to the challenge and reach out to our fellow Pakistanis who have lost everything and now face an uncertain future. To aid the relief effort, Dawn News is holding a two hour special transmission to raise funds for the flood victims. We will be joined by celebrity philanthropists such as Sheema Kirmani, Khalid Anam, Rizwan Beyg, Mahira Hafeez, Sania Saeed and a host of other experts and heads of relief organisations.

Special reports from the field will tell the stories of those who have lost everything to the merciless flooding and are desperately awaiting a helping hand…YOUR hand.

This is an effort by The Dawn Media Group for providing relief to the flood victims. Join us from 5-7 PM on Friday and rise to the challenge. Please donate generously and make their struggle less difficult. Rise Pakistan, and bring back your identity.

DAWN FLOOD RELIEF DONATIONS GO TO:

National Bank of Pakistan
Haroon House Branch
ACCOUNT # 1520-4

You may also make donations to the following organizations:

RED CRESCENT ICRC:

Accepting donations:

ASDA 6-6 Askari Bank G8 Markaz Islamabad
Foreign currency account number 0083-02800002
Bank Alfalah LTD Jinnah Road Rawalpindi
Telephone number: +92-51-9250404/5

Food Items are being accepted for donations: dry milk, non perishable food items, lentils, and water at the nearest Red Crescent office

EDHI FOUNDATION: ACCEPTING DONATIONS IN CASH AND/OR GOODS:

EDHI HEAD OFFICE
Sarafa Bazar, Boulton Market, Mithadar, Karachi.
Ph: +92 (21) 2413232
Fax: +92 (21) 2413232

ZONAL OFFICE KARACHI
Near Merewether Tower, Kharadar, Karachi.
Phone: +92 (21) 220126 1-62
Fax: +92 (21) 2313434
Email: edhikarachi@hotmail.com

ZONAL OFFICE LAHORE
17-A Muslim Block, Allama Iqbal Town, Lahore.
Ph: +92 (42) 5414211

ZONAL OFFICE ISLAMABAD
Near Masjide-e-Shohada, Aabpara, Islamabad.
Ph: +92 (51) 2827844

ACCEPTED ITEMS FOR EDHI DONATIONS:

Clothing: Clothes of various sizes, beddings, shoes

Utensils: Large plastic cans that hold 20 liters of water or liquids, crockery, buckets

Toiletries: Tissues, soaps, Dettol (antibacterial cleaners), towels

Food: Rice, sugar, flour (Atta), onions, potatoes, cooking oil, tea, milk (tetra packs or powder), safe drinking water, cooked food

Medicine and/or Medical Equipment: Water purification tablets, life saving drugs, vaccines for malaria, cholera, typhoid, influenza, pain killers including strong ones like morphine derivatives, tremadol, pethadine, kinz, antibiotics e.g. tetnus, amoxil, gentamycin, IV (intravenous) cannulas, IV Drip sets, IV drips: normal saline, ringer lactate, local anesthetics (injections), cotton bandages, cotton, surgical instruments: e.g needle holders, forceps, tweezers, suturing materials, skin staples

PM RELIEF

PM=92S Flood Relief Fund 2010 has set up an account at all branches of the National Bank of Pakistan:

Account No: 898989.

Donation may be deposited through NBP=92S regular pay-in slip. Donor will receive counter-slip duly stamped as token of having deposited the donation amount.

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

93 Responses to “Rise and reach out”

1. Hindu says:

Hindu from India and feeling the pain of pakistan..My colleagues are arranging a fund for pakistan floods in Bangalore India …Please tell me how to contribute money to poor people suffering….We want Independent NGO where we can donate our funds collected from IT people society of Bangalore ..Please help.

• Fizza says:

We highly appreciate the gesture of the people of Bangalore and IT society, God Bless all
      You may use below info to Donate

RED CRESCENT ICRC:

Accepting donations:

ASDA 6-6 Askari Bank G8 Markaz Islamabad
      Foreign currency account number 0083-02800002
      Bank Alfalah LTD Jinnah Road Rawalpindi
      Telephone number: +92-51-9250404/5

Food Items are being accepted for donations: dry milk, non perishable food items, lentils, and water at the nearest Red Crescent office

• Naheed says:

You can donate to UNHCR or Red Crescent online…. Rest assured with these agencies the money will reach the affectees! God bless you all.

2. Asad says:

Assalam-O-Alaikum,
    Can you please share the details of Account Title, Account Number, Branch Details for remitting money from outside Pakistan?

Please don’t mention PM Relief fund on your website as every one knows that all donations given by philanthropists will be outrageously misused by bureaucracy and corrupt politicians.

Regards,

3. adeel says:

you can send your money to http://www.appna.org

go to the website and the home page will direct you as to how to pay your zakaat/saqa/donations.

this is of course the website of pakistani physicians in america,and,rest assured your monies will not be squandered nor eaten by corrupt individuals,this is an ideal avenue for overseas pakistanis to donate.

4. Johar says:

My 2 sisters houses totally washed away, many relatives missplaced and still no end to the disaster. My neigbors and you name it all affected. The one’s who lost their lives are a whole different ball game. At this moment, it is hard to think where to start with help.
    In short, for the rest of you please help those you know and if not hten contribute in your nearby masjids. Right now water filtration will be really helpful but we need to help rebuild the houses for the one’s who are homeless. Please help a family if possible or 2 or whatever one can do. For the fortunates it is an occassion to show generosity.

5. Ali Kamran says:

Thank you for holding such events. I have been going through a confusion over donating to the above mentioned victims. However, as we have seen and heared during the earthquake period regarding corruption in the donations etc. So I think there are plenty of people who surely want to donate but fear if their donations will be spent at the right place! It is not only just to donate it is our duty to donate or help in any kind to our brothers and sisters.

If DAWN has some authentic channels in this regard please let us know the details and payment methods!

Thank you!

6. Vishal P says:

I am an overseas Indian in Seattle, USA. Please let me know how I can contribute monetarily. Is there an office in Seattle/San Francisco for Pacific North West, or in Vancouver, BC?

7. Yusaf Khan says:

Sadly speaking the one province of Pakistan that could least afford to have this disaster inflicted upon it is Khyber Pukhtunkhwa. The floods started there and the speed of the water was such that the people could not take evasive action in time to save their humble belongings. Hundreds of thousands of people have been left destitute as their homes, cattle and harvest have been destroyed.
    While the 2005 earthquake was catastrophic in terms of number of dead it was relatively easier to send help to. This calamity seems to be extremely difficult to tackle in terms of the area and number of people effected.
    I know some people in Akora Khattak (town next to Attock – severely effected due to its proximity to the junction of River Kabul and River Indus) who are presently collecting data on the number of people who would need help in rebuilding their homes. They think it would cost around 100,000 rupees to build a 1 room dwelling. I also know a group of doctors from Peshawar who have set up a free clinic in Nowshehra (another devastated town between Peshawar and Attock) catering to the flood affectees.

If anyone needs more information about such people they can contact me on yusafkhan@yahoo.com

Regards,
    Yusaf Khan
    London, UK

8. Ajay says:

Just strip all Pakistani politicians of the assets that they made by looting all these poor people who are facing a double whamy of floods by nature.

I am an Indian so please take my underline statement with a pinch of salt in good faith

“Pakistan is not poor but pakistani leadership is poor”

Otherwise how can you explain the same species of people being very successfull when they step outside the pakistani influence in other parts of the world.

Pakistani leadership does not have the vision to take the country out of the spiralling debt, terriosm and bleak future the country is facing today. This is just the start of the trouble for the common man.

My sympathies to those who have lost due the wrath of nature

9. Dear Moderator,

I am writing on behalf of the Pehla Qadam initiative taken to help the flood victims. We are student group working to collect relief goods and donation to help those in need.

Despite the unstable and unsafe situations of the city our volunteers should the courage to come out of their houses and collect funds and goods.

In three days we have collected over Rs. 170,000 in funds and Rs. 50,000 worth of relief goods. Our camp is set at Royal Rodale who is our partner in this noble cause.

We would be most obliged if Dawn News can donate its airtime to us or consequently inform its viewers about our efforts. We believe the consequence would be two fold:

a) encourage the youth of the city to take an initiative in their own neighbourhood
    b) help us extend our relief camp to all those still unaware of this stuggle.

Kind Regards,
    The Pehal Qadam Team – 0334 3376321

10. Hello brother,

you can donate at the following link:
    http://www.justgiving.com/khanbros

11. Feryal says:

Where do we donate if we are living abroad (U.S.)??

12. Anis Ahmed says:

Not only the political leaders but also the so called muslim minority religious leaders who have mansions in England,France,etc. with billions of dollars of collected zakat funds at their disposal should be the first to step up to the plate.

13. H says:

Hey guys we all are familiar with the reputation of Edhi they have been doing a commendable job we can make a difference by contributing whatever amount of money we can this is the time wht if Allah ask us on the day of judgement think and start contributing we all must unite and confront this Natural Calamity like we did in 2005

14. Shehryar Khalid Rao says:

If you are in Dubai, the Pk Association of Dubai has set up a reflief camp at their office on Oud Mehta Road behind the Irani center.
    Couple of other opitions are:
    1) Check out Edhi website – Contact Edhi Center tab – there are offices in US, UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, and Bangladesh.
    2) Contact UBL as they also have donation accounts for a number of NGOs
    3) Send the money to Pk to a friend or relative and ask them to deposit it with the organization of your choosing
    4) Contact Red Cross or Red Crescent Foundation. You can donate directly into a country program you wish to support. link: http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/iwpList2/Help_the_ICRC?OpenDocument

15. Shahzad says:

For overseas Pakistanis

http://www.dec.org.uk/

16. Dr.Ketan says:

How can i contribute?
    can u send me detail / payment option to my mail address?

17. Maroof Mehboob says:

We have already suffered a great deal at the hand of leadership past and present. Individuals need to worry about their own part and help our brothers and sisters in their hour of need and desperation. The people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa need our help, we owe it to them.

Dawn , can you be more explicit in indicating how we can contribute via dawn floor relief since its not very clear from the website.

18. Shafi says:

Dear sir, I agree all Pakistanis where ever they are should once again rise to the occasion as they did after the earthquake. Inshaallah we shall overcome this calamity as well. However one should ask what our leaders are doing, spending millions on private grandiose visits abroad fooling the people of Pakistan by false propaganda. Our dear leader bought a castle in France now with whose money one wonders.

Yes rise Pakistan and get rid of the corruption!

19. Syed Khawar says:

Salam,
    How and where?? for overseas Pakistani.

20. H says:

Our prime minster said that we should curtail ramazan eid and independence day expenses really appreciate the efforts of our prime minister but can any one tell me wht president is doing why can’t he curtail all his unnecessary expenditures for instance recent trip to UK wht is dis why are leaders reluctant in curtailing their expenditures how can one expect prosperity in such a chaos situation any ways appreciates the efforts of Mr Prime minister

21. Hasan says:

Very well dawn really appreciates your effort we need to rise to the ocassion and help our fellow brothers who have been severly affected by the merciless floods.We need to motivate them and make sure that we are with them.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement