Justice, finally?

Justice, finally?

Justice delayed in some cases isn’t always denied. After a year since the senseless and utterly tragic deaths of two brothers in Sialkot, the jury has given a judgment.

Talking to Dawn, the family of Mughees and Muneeb said they were satisfied with the verdict in which the court sentenced seven of the convicts to death on four counts, gave life-term on four counts to six of them and jailed nine policemen, including a former district police officer, for three years.

Perhaps they can now begin to heal.

Given this with a prompt verdict on Sarfaraz Shah’s case, can one begin to hope for justice in this country which often seems to host more chaos than order?

Will people who assume they can take the law in their own hands, think twice before they start beating an innocent teenager to death?

Can the citizens of Pakistan finally expect efficiency in the cases of complete injustice?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their view.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

110 Responses to “Justice, finally?”

1. faizan says:

its realy a very good news to read.. a new way to the betterment.inshallah one day justice will prevail!

2. Haroon says:

This case has been a mystery from the time it was first reported by the news media. My condolence to the families for their loss.
    What about the Duniya News documentary a few months back that actually tried to prove/portray these kids as “bad guys”. When will we know the real truth. There is no justification of the horrendous act commited by these people and police men and justice had to be served.

3. Hassan Parvez says:

Thanks God, finally Pakistani Judges are acting like judges. I hope they will also act like judges in Asis Bibi case and Salman Taseer case.

However the sentences given to the police are not enough. These people are the custodian of law and had the authority and man power to stop this brutal killing. Their sentence should reflect the seriousness of their crime.

4. JD SHAMI says:

I do not beleive that justice was totally done. All of the Police Officers present at the crime scene, who were watching as spectators when these murders were taking place, must be put to death. Three years punishment and fine or punishment for life is not good enough for these animals (police), These police officers are the custodians of law/order and are paid to protect human life. I think the Judge should have given all of these police men Death by Hanging in Public.

5. mohsin says:

May Allah forgive and bless the souls of those two innocent brothers…. Inna lillah e wa inna illahay rajioun…..
    No doubt it is a great achievement for victim’s family and sensible Pakistani people in general, who were very disturbed at this incident (among many others).
    However, we should not forget that it was the public pressure that made it happen (not the judges, government etc.)…
    Lesson to be learnt is that people have power and it can be utilized to get justice out of a corrupt government…
    Government has always been part of the problem, not the solution.

6. Khan says:

Justice has been done.

7. Ansar from USA says:

May Allah grant them the highest rewards in heaven, Inshallah!

8. A Shah says:

What happened to these to boys is what i hate about my Pakistan. We deserve to be the beggers of the world after what we have done to these two souls. RIP!

9. Roha says:

I am so relieved and happy of this verdict.

10. I appreciate the efforts of Pakistani media and judiciary. There are many such crimes being carried out in our society, but without the approach of media, one cant raise the voice. Inshallah it will be the lesson for future. May Allah Almighty shun the sins of the victims and make their family members strong to hold this loss.

11. Farooque says:

I think the sentence was not enough.

12. Tariq says:

At last some good news for Pakistanis, Justice Prevails. The Barbarians are brought to book. Thanks to Media who highlighted timely. Although its not over yet, high courts and then supreme courts. I am sure sanity do prevails in those to arenas and these barbarians shouldn’t be given a single inch of relaxation. I my honest opinion, the law enforcers are liable for more harsh punishment as compare to ordinary people. Here 3 years term seems little unjustified. Also i hope the BUTER village people should learn to respect the law.

13. Khizr says:

Media has played an important role here in getting the instittutions responsible for justice to deliver. Let’s work together to make our institution strong and effecient.

14. saima says:

JUSTICE DELAYED BUT NOT DENIED……..

I wish the policewalas should have gotten more strict verdict after all they pledge in their oath to protect innocent citizens ,whereas they were watching the entire brutality hard heartedly.

May Allah give Sabr to the entire family and Jannat ul firdous to the brothers.

15. Seedoo says:

I just hope that the accused who got the sentence were the actual people who carried out the crime and not just some people picked up on the street and coerced by the police.

While we are on the subject, let’s make sure that the the killer of Salman Taseer is also given exmplary punishment by our courts.

16. Khan USA says:

Allah Akbar Thanks Allah that there are still justice in this land of injustice, these boys were on fasting and they were killed in the holy month of ramandan, We have to understand that we cannot take matters in our own hands, before we do that we have to look at our sins, have some patients and tolrance as our Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) told us, we are muslim suppose to act like one (Ameen)

17. Ahmed says:

Great verdict, however, I am afraid, now the culprits will challenge this in high and supreme court, the actual sentence would indeed by handed out far into the future. And there are chances that some of the punishments will be lessened, some more acquited on “lack of evidence”. Not to forget there are a few who are still hiding and I dont konw if our courts will be able to punish those as well ?

18. samar says:

I had tears of joy in my eyes. Im so glad. V for Victory.

19. Farooq says:

These sentences are encouraging and one hopes some brave judge; one of these days, will have the audacity to take up the case of Asia Bibbi (the christian lady who is in jail accused of blasphemy) and give her and her family justice…..and set her free, at least on bail, until her case is decided. Now, wouldn’t that be a right and bold direction for judiciary to go? It is easy to pass judgement on popular and easy case as this.

• Justice says:

Very true, In a truly Islamic justice system everyone has equal rights including a non-muslim. A fair trial is the right of everyone. I will strongly appeal to the Supreme court to take appropriate action in all the cases specifically where poor people having no means or strength have been victims including women, men, children no matter which province, religion or colour they have. Every Pakistani deserves a decent and safe life.

• Prudent Injeeli says:

Thanks Farooq for making that crucial point on “popular cases”. The real test of justice comes dealing with the cases such as Asia Bibi. Judiciary still has long way to go. Just not selective justice but justice for all.
      God bless.

• malik says:

Yea man. But religious zealots wont let that happen.

• Sadia Zafar says:

I fully agree with Farooq in praying that Asia Bibi will have justice soon. May Allah be with her.

• Jamal says:

I totally agree with Farooq. Taking a popular decsion is a lot easier than taking the just one. I do not downplay this verdict at all. However, true test will be when someone speaks for Asia bibi.

• Seedoo says:

Bravo!

20. Hamza says:

Thank god! I’m so relieved that they got the death penalty. R.I.P brothers. What happened to you will never be forgotten.

• Iman says:

Well said my friend! this should happened to all the policeman too but…..at least some will get lesson from this kind of act.

21. Muhammad Ali says:

I hope and pray This will continue in future as well…..This nation is only required some popular correct decisions from our judiciary.

22. Ghilzai says:

The judge in this case should be nominated for award to encourage other judges.

23. Asif sindhi says:

if we have heart to criticize , we must have guts to appreciate when its due.

24. Shirjeel says:

Yes, the judicial process in this case was delayed yet fortunately it was not denied.

Let us hope, that this verdict would send a strong signal to the perpetrators of such crimes and serve to strengthen the rule of law in Pakistan. Though the state of things call for another Divine intervention.

25. N.M Mitha says:

I am happy to see that still there is light of hope to get justice in our country. I was hardly in my sense when first i saw this video on you tube about beating two brothers brutally in public for robbery which was also not investigated by Police Officers.
    This punishment will work as a lesson for all those politicians who even claims that they are spreading awareness of moral and ethical society. Such action has taken time no doubt but has at least proven this fact that “Allah k ghar mein deir hai andheir nahi”

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement