That’s Dr. Malik for you

That’s Dr. Malik for you

First it was the Sitara-e-Imtiaz awards that our government gave out so generously to numerous people that barely deserved them. Now, we are faced with the reality of knowing that our very own Interior Minister Rehman Malik has received an honourary degree of Doctorate from the Karachi University.

What’s more shocking than the fact that Malik is now Dr. Malik, is the reason given to explain why he was chosen: The degree has been awarded in recognition of his “matchless services to the country in the war on terror and particularly in restoring peace to the citizens of Karachi.”

The fact that thousands have died in the war on terror and are still dying seems to not matter here. The fact that Karachi has lost hundreds in target killings under Malik’s reign also does not seem to make a difference.

What seems to be the most disturbing thought on this news however remains, who actually believes Malik has made any kind of positive impact to Pakistan’s security situation?

More importantly, how could Sindh Governor, Dr Ishratul Ebad assess that “Malik’s efforts against terrorism and valuable help in maintaining law and order in Karachi are known to everyone.”

If that’s true, then could it be possible that we are all simply oblivious to the great man Dr. Malik just might be under that cloak of failures that he wears?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

144 Responses to “That’s Dr. Malik for you”

1. shery says:

As CM Raisani said, Degree Degree ha, asli ho ya nakli!!!!

2. mohammad says:

really useless. what was the need?. if you have to help your country, you can do that without this honourary degree. absurd.

3. Qaiser Hussain Bakhtiari says:

What is a value of degree when you do not have the knowledge to prove that you earned it. It is but a piece of printed paper. The masses should take solace in the fact that people like Malik are to be discarded soon by history and never to be talked of again.

4. Ahmed Saeed says:

If Rehman Malik can be given a degree of Doctorate then why sideline Asfandyar Wali and Altaf Hussain. Its injustice.

5. Ahmer says:

It’s so disgusting to see this happening … ofcourse its human to loath being a KU graduate
    our so called leaders dont get tired of making a mockery of themselves and our dear country…

6. Dr K says:

By the way, people awarded an honorary doctorate cannot use Dr before their name. At least, that is the convention in N. America

7. Shahid says:

Karachi University is a public institution and it is obliged to disclose the criteria that is applied to award of an Honorary Doctorate. Public should be checking out that criteria. And if the public at large considers that the Karachi University, which is funded by the taxpayers, has not followed the criteria or its standards have fallen below the expected norms, then they are entitled to challange the award. In my view given the strong public perceptions about Mr Malik; the public is entitled to that information and full disclosure.

8. Tarun says:

What’s up dude, dr. for what? Seeing you country in turmoil is this doctorate for bringing this helm on poor citizens? I am myself a dr. i.e. a real genuine degree. I know how hard this study is and what one has to learn to get it. So hats off to such universities for making such dr.

9. sf says:

Its a shame that an academic institution, well regarded in Pakistan can be pushed around ( and I am sure thats the case or it seems like) to award an honorary doctrate degree to a Govt. servant who is still in office and has not done much to deserve this honor. In fact with the target killings and murders it has become one of the most unsafe citys in the world.

10. Ordinary Pakistani says:

May be Supreme court should take suo motto notice of this.. lol.

11. Israr Khan Ismailzai. says:

HAHAHAHA.

12. Sal says:

Great idea.

13. Khan says:

Disgusting, despicable, distasteful…thats Malik for u!

14. Salman says:

Can I get one too?

15. MY Batalvi says:

A shameful and crude joke. We could not expect anything better from Rehman Malik, but what to say of Karachi University. After 47 years of getting it, today I feel ashamed of having a degree from this university.

16. med says:

Now for today’s lesson Rahman, we will begin by learning to spell “Doctorate”

17. Zeesh says:

Does he even have a Bachelors or Masters degrees to begin with?

18. david says:

I am Karachi University graduate and ashmed of the honor given to Rehman Malik

19. malik says:

May God save us from his ‘philosophies and divine knowledge’ which earned him this degree.

20. Aamer says:

The reason why the degrees from Pakistani universities is not worth more than the paper they are printed on.

21. HUSSAIN SHAH says:

WHAT REHMAN MALIK did in Karachi very few could do , he cleaned up all the mess of target killers
    this was not easy TASK in Karachi , people of Karachi are very thank full to GOVT .
    Karachi is heaven when there is no crime we can count on DR Rehman malik and this GREAT city will come back to normal we have to give time to the GOVT,I heard all the investigation on YOU TUBE who was behind it what is the future plan every one should keep trust on the GOVT , what the GOVT can do they are doing it to organize every thing takes time Karachi is deep sea .

22. A. Ali says:

Who cares about KU or any other institute of higher learning, what matters these days is Dr. Malik, Dr. Ibad and likes. WHAT A SHAME!!

23. Syed says:

Another addition to the shamefull acts we have been doing for the last few years to keep ourselves on the news headline of the world

24. Sunseller says:

Amazing to see how so many people get victimized by jealousy. People, dheeraj rekhein.

25. a humiliated Pakistani frm abroad says:

I m not surprised: govt should nominate him for Noble Prize (for peace). This is the least we can do to acknowledge the great services rendered by Dr.Malik

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement