That’s Dr. Malik for you

That’s Dr. Malik for you

First it was the Sitara-e-Imtiaz awards that our government gave out so generously to numerous people that barely deserved them. Now, we are faced with the reality of knowing that our very own Interior Minister Rehman Malik has received an honourary degree of Doctorate from the Karachi University.

What’s more shocking than the fact that Malik is now Dr. Malik, is the reason given to explain why he was chosen: The degree has been awarded in recognition of his “matchless services to the country in the war on terror and particularly in restoring peace to the citizens of Karachi.”

The fact that thousands have died in the war on terror and are still dying seems to not matter here. The fact that Karachi has lost hundreds in target killings under Malik’s reign also does not seem to make a difference.

What seems to be the most disturbing thought on this news however remains, who actually believes Malik has made any kind of positive impact to Pakistan’s security situation?

More importantly, how could Sindh Governor, Dr Ishratul Ebad assess that “Malik’s efforts against terrorism and valuable help in maintaining law and order in Karachi are known to everyone.”

If that’s true, then could it be possible that we are all simply oblivious to the great man Dr. Malik just might be under that cloak of failures that he wears?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

144 Responses to “That’s Dr. Malik for you”

1. Fatima says:

Only in Pakistan!!

2. adil says:

Hundred of brothers are killed in Karachi, Thousands of homes have been destroyed. Corruption and unrest is on its peak but this guy wants “DR.” title with his name. Shame to the head of the university who awarded Doctorate awarded.

3. Mir Javed says:

Thanks God I didn’t get any degree from Pakistan.

4. doctor says:

should i burn my degree ???

5. LSD says:

it makes me wonder !

6. Irfan says:

the degree was actually awarded in his extraordanry research to prove “apple=banana” theory

7. Rayhan Khan says:

It is important for students of Karachi University to register their protest with words and petitions in a very disciplined fashion so management do not think of doing such mistake again. Never underestimate student power specially if it used in a disciplined and positive manner (unlike used by so called student political parties of these days)

8. Usman Bashir says:

Its just pathetic at last they have misused academia. just cannot be explained in words sigh…..

9. dawes says:

what has he done to get this degree.

10. Syed Ali Raza Shah says:

Shame on you University of Karachi! I have always been so proud to hold a Bachelors degree from this university. It was a seat of learning to be associated with towering names of such scholars as Dr. Salim-uz-Zaman Siddiqi, Dr. Ata-Ur-Rehman, and many other some of whom were well-renowned engineers, others being highly respected doctors, researchers in natural sciences, liberal arts and some very able lawyers. I know now, why do I wish to give up my Pakistani nationality as soon as possible. I don’t want to be a party to or share the social crimes that are being committed by our institutions in our name! Either you are not Pakistan or we are not Pakistan!

11. SHIRAZ says:

If this is democracry than I definantly need Army to run our country!

12. asim says:

The person receiving such a honor himself should have some self respect/dignity to think if he truly qualifies for it….

13. Raja Ali Fateh says:

Joke of the century. Sorry to say our Interior Minister cannaot even speak proper English. The question is how did he passed MA in real life. Shame shame shame to KU.

14. naeem khan, Kansas says:

Oh well, you have another doctor too who is an expert on world as well as Pakistani law.Shame has no boundaries for these people.

15. I kkan says:

This would be unthinkable even in a half civilized society. This country is run by criminla mafias.

16. imran says:

Thinking of studying at a university in Pakistan?

17. ZARIN SHROFF says:

AWFUL SHAME TO THE GIVER AND THE RECEIVER

18. Shahid kinnare says:

Just because we do not like the person does not mean he does not deserve it. Second, he is war Interior Minister. After all Pakistan is in state of war.

19. Asif says:

The KU Alumni should gather up and go to KU and demand that act be retracted and the management personnel who made this decision to grant a degree to him, should be dismissed as well. Pakistan Press should support the KU Alumni in its action.

20. Sattar Lodhi says:

I was proud of being a graduate of Karachi University until I read how low its standards have become! Don’t we have any shame in stooping so low as to award these honorary degrees to completely undeserving individuals?

21. Laeeq says:

He should also be nominated for the Noble Peace Prize. He was unable to stop killing of the thousand of innocent Pakistanis by blood thursty terrorists, including the minorities. He is the first to order for any terrorist act, but we never came to know the outcome of these investigations. Under his government, no terrorist is ever convicted(except Mr. Qadri). Minorities are living in state of fear and country law and order situation is not hidden to any one.

22. Khurram says:

Pakistani educational institutions have (almost) NO standing in the developed as well as developing world. This recent move by U o K probably explains the rational behind the poor international standings of our institutions.

23. Mujtaba Bhatti says:

The comments that I would like to utter wold definitely be never published by any publication of any worth. So I would just say that how throughly disgusted and disgruntled I am with this utter nonsense.

24. imran says:

shame full act,
    K.U will know lose the respect

25. Sayeed says:

Honorary degrees are given all over the world for lifelong achievements in the field of the recipient. In most cases the institution has benefited directly or indirectly by the lifelong efforts of this individual. Our Interior Minister has hardly been in office for 3 years (4 if you consider Adviser to PM). Before this he wasnt involved in policy making in Pakistan at all (I dont think being Director FIA has anything to do with policy making…). KU considers 3,4 years as a lifelong achievement? How did his term in office benefit the university? It has dis-credited thousands of its hard working graduates.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement