Talking Balochistan

Talking Balochistan

Balochistan has come under focus in the last few days with the murder of a member of Balochistan assembly and his wife, a Supreme Court hearing on the missing persons case, unabated violence in the province and a US Congressional hearing on the Balochistan issue.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Rehman Malik recently said that there were reports indicating involvement of foreign hands in the prevailing situation of Balochistan.

“Natural resources are in abundance in Balochistan and it is a conspiracy hatched by the anti-state elements to keep the situation disturbing there,” he said.

The blame game has been going on for decades and while there have been calls for a parliamentary committee’s visit in the province, no clear solution has been presented.

Baloch nationalists lay the blame with the government and armed forces, while the government blames ‘foreign hand.’ Who, really, is to blame?

If a peaceful future of the province is to be envisioned, all major stakeholders must be taken on board. How must the government achieve this?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

156 Responses to “Talking Balochistan”

1. Umair Uz Zubair says:

The situation in Balochistan is very precarious and the government is responsible as no solution is ever discussed in National assembly.

A very interesting fact is that if you look at Balochistan Assembly, you will notice out of house of 50 or 51 MPAs (member of provincial assembly) you will see 40 or 46 MPAs are in government and this holds true.

Most of the MPAs are either influential people, Head of their tribes etc but interestingly they themselves never ever discuss the issues of Balochistan in the provincial assembly or discuss it with the Federal Government for the resolution of their problems.

Yet you will see politicians from all walks of life saying, Balochistan is being neglected. Who should we blame then???????

I hope sanity will prevail and either the Balochistan Provincial Assembly or National assembly or Supreme Court should take this matter on priority.

US is our no friend and we should act strongly object to the US Congress hearing on Balochistan.

Baloch people are our brothers and the issues should be resolved immediately.

• amjad says:

Umair you have hit the nail on its head,this is true. I think it is a question of being true to the purpose. as I mentioned earlier masses are being played for somebody Else’s end game.all the few people on the top have it all anyway, so they will always do what is in their long term interest. Whether it is within Pakistan or without it.

2. amjid says:

i am extremely worried about my country. can we not cross this sectarian line and think collectively.
    OR is it too late for that ?

• pakistani says:

when we realize something not going right we should at least act to correct it but you see apart from so called talk shows and news no proper voice emerging from other parts of the country other then Baluchistan to safeguard their interests expose foreign hands and stop foreign interests from foreign powers and negligence which has become criminal to stop this. till the time we only get worried and do nothing nothing will change and it will remain same.. Now its time to pray as well as ACT. otherwise situation is going out of our hands and every pakistani is responsible in that and who choose that government of corrupt goons and letting us rule for over 4 years without solving our nation basic problems and including secururity if a state government failed to provide basic rights of living peacefully in the country then the government already looses its right to rule… but they are kept ruling on us. Amy Bro. i share the same worries as you do…..so that’s why i’m sharing my feeling with you and other pakistani who are reading it….Please do something.. rise above over petty daily routine interests otherwise we all are loosing this country which is our only home in the whole world.May God save us and this nation and this land and this country and it’s honour and dignity and pride.Pakistan zindabad

• amjad says:

it is good to hear from you Bro,very well said. but how do we do what you said.There is absolutely no JON in anybody in this country. The least which could be done is to hold demonstration all over Pakistan for once for the rights of the Balauch people. Whether they are being looted by the Sardars or the corrupt elite.
        People of Baluchistan have to know that we stand united with them and there is another way of asking for your rights other than the arm struggle against their own country.
        Is this idea feasible?

3. amjad says:

Moving on from Nadeem’s comments It may be a fact that big budgets are set for the province but how much filters through to a common man on the street or an ordinary family. It is an unfortunate situation all over Pakistan. Promises are made on spur of the moment to get out of the situation in hand and forgotten instantly. But the people who do not know where their next meal is coming from, are forced to pin there hopes on so called ,do good, leaders. What choice do they have?
    our news papers are filled with news of the plans which never materielise. It is all HO Jaeai GA.
    only solution for Baluchistan is factual improvement on the ground,which can be realized instantly. the time for 5 year plans is long over. We need short term projects with quick results and cut the waiting time out to show and benefit people of Baluchistan and Pakistan as a whole.
    Waiting game is a killer in every sense.adopt the strategy of instant and quick turn around and most of our problems will be sorted. Results is the answer. the whole nation is being punished due to complacency of the people in any position of authority. please comment!

4. Nadeem Ahmed Bhatti says:

All legitimates demands are fullfiled. Solution lies to leave two-pronged policy. NFC Award has been increased to two double i.e. 120 Billion pak Ruppes. What esle Baloch need more.

• Omar says:

Dear Mr Nadeem Ahmed Bhatti…. I wish I was right next to you… to answer the question you have asked ? what else Baloch need more ? They need jobs, they need food, all of the above they need respect which people like you are not willing to give…

• Shadix says:

Sir, I wish I was also near and let you know how Nawabs ans Sardars are eating away at the spirit of Baloch.

• Imran says:

That is the attitude that is not allowing the solution of the problem, Bhatti sahib!

5. Indusonian says:

There is no doubt about about external elements involved, but that can be overcome only by providing just and deserving share to the beautiful Balochistan. I doubt this government is going to do any of that since they have no idea what is going around or they don’t want to know. Whis is why I am going to stress again that it is time for media and judiciary to bring this beautiful nation together and Ministry of Interior needs to present missing persons. I remember not too long ago Mr. Malik said he has the list and my question is how many of those listed have returned ?

• amjid says:

i agree people in power are too busy in their trivial games to notice what is happening around them.
      print rupees and change it into dollars by the sacks full and put it into foreign accounts before their term is over.
      The idea of medias participation in bridging this gap between the people of this country can be very constructive.it needs to happen quickly,As a nation we have been made to wait for tomorrows for too long.
      Mr Malik is too busy defending his party and the president against no good truth tellers,his capacity to do anything else apart from that is questionable.

6. Abdul rahim says:

There should be provincial autonomy in the pakistan, which can help us to exterminate the social, political, and economic deprivation in the country. It will also support the country extinguishing of unrest situation in the province of balochistan
    abdul rahim chandio

7. amjad says:

All comments made are from individual perspective. However they do include some facts. Only problem is independent Baluchistan unfortunately is no guarantee for the rights of the masses being respected or delivered. Baluchistan will end up in a same situation as Pakistan is now. Many lives sacrificed for a noble purpose without achieving the set objectives.
    perhaps people of Baluchistan are being used in the same context as all Pakistanis have been used to make sacrifices unknowingly to fulfill the agenda of hidden hands whoever that may be.
    However all Balauchies have every right to demand a fair deal.
    I wonder instead of an arm struggle why not learn something from Egyptian revolution. why kill each other.

8. Siddiqui says:

Traitors should not be dealt with kid gloves. They should be punished according to the laws of Pakistan. Those demanding a separate Baluchistan are traitors. Those who appeared in the American congressional hearing, along with those who are clandestinely trying to break up Pakistan should be declared traitors according to the laws of Pakistan. They should be fairly tried and punished for their high crime, even in absentia. A clear message should be sent to those who have designs to break up Pakistan that such designs will not be tolerated. Any other country including USA, Uk and India would do the same.

Balochistan is a province of Pakistan, as such, it belongs to the whole population of Pakistan, as do other provinces. Any natural resources in any province belong to each and every Pakistani. The Natural resources should be controlled by the Federal Government and not by individual provinces. The funds generated from these natural resources should be distributed according to the needs and size of the province, not based on where the resources exist. This distribution should be fair and without any malice against particular people.

9. With the referendum that is free and fair Baloch separatist will not get even 20% of the vote for separation. It is all in numbers. 40% who live in Baluchistan are Pashtuns, 20% are Punjabis and Sindhis. So it leave 40% true Balochi speaking. Out of this only small minority are separatists. Referendum will be a clear defeat for separatists, and fighting will never win them a separate Baluchistan. Best thing for them if they have foresight is a dialogue

• Dawood Khan says:

I think you are very poor in general knowledge, in Baluchistan out of 30 districts 22 are Baloch districts and our of six division there are 5 baloch divisions. One more thing balochs are not struggling for the freedom of Pashtun areas.

• I am giving you the facts written in published records. Those who speak blochi are only 40% of the population of Baluchistan. Can you deny that? Divisions and districts do not vote in a referendum. It is the people who vote. If you think that you can get your separate territory without dialogue or referendum then you are really hitting a brick wall. Can you achieve your goal by only fighting? Suppose one day with anarchy reaching its climax there is Swat like operation in Baluchistan. Then what!

• Aziz Baloch says:

The time will come it will come it decide wheather we get independent or not. Just start thing about your selves that where you people will go, international media know start supporting the balochistan cause.

• Abdur R. Talukder says:

I appreciate your right of speech. But think other way. Separation is always not a good sign or, a good idea for the existence. Look around and you will see the trends of unification is going on all over the world. Even more and more have been waiting for future unification. Islam also does not support the separation. Unity is the main basis of our religion. It is really hard for a small country to exist in this world. Look also at Indonesia, how did they solve their Ache province issue? Think progressive way and try to exist with honour and pride. Ask your local leaders to start negotiation for your legitimate rights within the framework of Pakistan. Bring your confidence back and devote yourselves to build up a new Pakistan where your rights will strongly be secured. May Allah (SWT) helps you to get your due shares back and with your valuable support and belief, I hope He will make Pakistan a happy and prosperous country.

• Qurat-al- Ain says:

Mr. Baluch: For your kind information international media has not supported any body. They are driven by ratings, not by covering insignificant agenda from Pakistan, the most laughed at country in the world. They ( international media ) are good in creating circus atmosphere only with the exception of Israel. Israelis have lot of clout and they can get support, and not Baluchistan. Listen to Mr. Talukder’s advice. Talk to your brothers.

10. Adil Jadoon says:

Baluch people (and I have several baluch friends) should be given all the income from their natural resources through their elected representatives in a transparent manner. We have all let them down as we have let our country down. It is no longer sufficient to not vote for the corrupt but it is time to vote for the one we believe is honest and if we cannot find anyone like that it is time to stand up ourselves.
    If the foreign powers are responsible for this then shame on ISI and if ISI is responsible for this then again shame on the ISI.

• Ahmad says:

Referendum is not the solution. The Baluchi want to stay as Pakistani. This idea is being floated around by the enemy of Pakistan.Indegenous Baluchis should be recognised as Baluchi, rest are not relevent. Granted, they will have the same rights as others. Baluchis were there first. The Pashtuns Punjabis and Mohajirs came later as intruders and employees. When my father migrated from India as a govt. servant to Quetta in 1947, the baluchis welcomed us all with love and respect. The locals were impressed with our education, manners and skills. One of the elder told my father that he want to see his grandchildren just like yours. In return we the outsiders stole their liberty,security and resources, sent to Punjab and Islamabad. The distribution of wealth has been any thing but fair so far. The revenue Sharing so far should be audited by a panel of retired and unbiased judges and acedemics, should be published and let Pakistanis decide. If they were cheated or their shares or were were underpaid the balance should br reimbursed. It is very simple, asuming that there is a procedure written somewhere in the constitution. Keep foreigners out of this. Look no further than Iraq, learn your lesson from others. Please do not repeat the mistake of East Pakistan. Daily Dawn can take the lead. Hold a town hall meeting any where, but do it. Do it for thr the sake of Pakistan. God wiling we will overcome.

11. gt says:

@Shahid,

Let us assume that your argument that funds allotted to the provincial government for development & social uplift of the Baloch are misspent and stolen is quite correct. If the Federal Government & the Defence Establishment, which is the real government, appreciate the importance of the province, then they can easily take some effective measures. For example, the “army” can DEMAND accountability and good governance from the province. If that is too difficult to achieve, then they need to think of alternatives. Surely the famous “agencies” can provide a census and postal of the very few million Baloch and/or Pakhtun who are indigenous to the province? Why not create Post Office accounts in each of their names and deposit a certain sum every quarter, straight from the Reserve Bank or from any aid source?

Let the individual, man, woman, or child, spend the money as they “choose”. If they are cheated or exploited, that is not the State’s business; it has done its best, and the proof is the Post Office account. Even where there are no nearby Post Offices, people are serviced by the Postal Service; so, they will receive the satisfaction of knowing that money is being deposited in their account. This becomes a source of savings for the government, as well. It also bypasses all intermediaries and sends money to the smallest unit, the individual consumer. Pro-rate by income level: give most to the poorest, the aged, the women, and to the female children, i.e. the underprivileged. It can be done if the army & civil government feel the matter is pressing enough. Blaming this or that foreign hand ultimately serves their political needs, which is why they keep doing it, rather than take effective steps. You do not see them being ineffective where their own vital interests are concerned, do you?

12. saeed says:

About half of the Baluchistan population is Pashto speaking and they are also living in the same condition as do Baluchs but they are not taking part in armed struggle. To get a job for the Baluch is much much easier than a Punjabi or Pashtun. Usually no qualified Baluch persons are available for the post announced, while in Punjab there is tough competition. Even for one post there are thousands of qualified applicants. The problem lies somewhere else.There is definitely a foreign hand involved. Similarly Irani Baluchs are always a trouble for the Iran government . Irani Government has provided all the facilities to them even then they are angry with Iranian government.It’s all due to illiteracy. The ultimate solution is EDUCATION..EDUCATION…AND ..EDUCATION. so that the poor Baluchs can get rid of their Tribal Lords

13. Ahmad says:

Dawn will do a great service to Baluchistan, if they a sponsor a open forum /civilized debate in either Karachi or Quetta inviting acedemics and activists from both sides. Debate the issue and present its non binding findings to the parties. Let them decide if they want to go foreward. Please do not include the generals, retired or active duty. This serious discussion will need people with more than two years of college education. Please do it for the sake of Mr. Jinnah’s love for Baluchis and his newspaper.

14. Imran says:

My suggestions!

– withdrawal of FC and sending them to the borders,

– ISI should stop using their spies in the general population.

– Recovery of missing individuals and compensation to their families.

– Appointing honest and reputable police officers to key positions with judicial courts for speedy decisions on charges of crime.

– Describe the revenue generated by Balochistan resources to public.

– Devising a short term and long term financial and development plan for the province and representation of People from Balochistan (doesn’t matter if they are settlers or locals).

– Setting a supervision committee that has the authority and is accountable to people.

– Direct media coverage of the activities undertaken under this plan with a feedback and review mechanism.

• Tanveer Aftab says:

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Atleast you are dare enough to reveal the truth.

• Maryam Khan says:

Imran, thank you for these excellent suggestions. I will just add to what youhave said:

(1) The most important pre-requisite for reaching a resolution on the Baluchistan “national question” is to immediately pull out the FC and bring the ISI to account for its extra-judicial activities in the region. There is no substitute for making the security forces accountable. They have played havoc with the Baluchistan population under the garb of national security, and the many decades of this deplorable policy has meant that the rest of Pakistan has become extremely de-sensitized to the massive atrocities taking place within our own borders.

(2) I agree that there have to be serious repercussions (monetary and otherwise) for the security forces in respect of missing persons. “Compensation” not just in terms of gratuitous hand-outs, but in terms of compensating these individuals for general pain and suffering, loss of liberty (which the Supreme Court otherwise keeps harping about under art. 9 of our Constitution), loss of earnings, and any other special damages. And I also agree that this exercise should be undertaken under the eye of the media and human rights groups through a special judicial tribunal (like the truth and reconciliation committee in South Africa) on an expedited basis. A kind of public-private partnership.

(3) Baluchistan has been the new East Pakistan since 1974. If we are to learn from our own history, it only makes sense to give Baluchistan its due (and here I’m not making any ethnicity-based distinctions). All revenues generated from Baluchistan must be re-invested in Baluchistan.

(4) “Development” work in Baluchistan needs to be re-defined. If mega projects like the Gwadar deep sea port have no nexus with the uplift of the local population, then this is a complete farce. Development needs to be re-oriented to basic necessities, like education, health-care, dispute resolution, creation of public spaces for community involvement, exchange programs of educational institutions in Baluchistan with those in other areas for mutual capacity-building, etc.

(5) The Punjabi-centric uproar against the adoption of indigenous languages as “national” languages really needs to be thwarted through the media and other public fora. There is NO good reason why we should not allow major regional languages to be part of our constitutional and social heritage. India has done it, and done it successfully.

• shah jamil says:

I agree with ur cmments I think its time to seriously take care of this issue we should take Sardar Marri, Sardar Mengal The Bughti’s and others in confidence and give them due respect infact I think there positions should be restored to the seventies when they were given special allowances and subsidies by the govt.

Thank you Khan for your nice and valuable comment. But we should agree that a country faces this kind of trouble only when they almost lost their internal sovereignty. As far as Baluchistan concern, let us compare it with the then East Pakistan when the neighour countries meddle into the internal politics of Pakistan. The disparity was the main issue of that time,even now it is a burning issue in the political and social life of Pakistan, especially with the peoples of Baluchistan and N.W.F.P. The disparity was so high that even the then govt. promised to eradicate it within a certain time. Again, look into the picture of the then East Pakistan, the neighour country took the advantage of the uprising. They started a massive propaganda and action over the air and through their collaborators and supporters in the troubled area of the then Pakistan. The then Pakistan ruling govt.did not pay proper attention due to their corruption. Instead of solving the issues internally with the leaders,the govt.used the military power. The internal military invasion raised a hue and cry that ultimately destroyed the integrity of Pakistan. I hope the govt. will realize the danger and will bring the justice back for the neglected areas. Again, look at the history of Ache revolt in Indonesia, how the central govt.solve the separatist issues and brought them back into the federation. Please don’t raise any question about E. Timur. If every country of the world can solve the dis-integrity issue with a peaceful manner, why the Pakistan and their leaders can not?
        Remember, they are your brothers and sisters, they are the dream of Allama Iqbal. They fought like the people of the then E. Pakistan for Pakistan. Give their due shares back in their social,political and economic life. If they are strong the central govt. will be strong too. Try to be a good brother or, a ‘Friend Not A Master’.

• Mir Dilbar Baloch says:

Good job, you are 100% right as a Baloch myself from Gwadar Balochistan i do appreciate and pray to God almighty that you should be a journalist and write more to correct our innocent writers.

• miq says:

Imran, great and well thought suggestions …… Dialogue with the Baloch elders and educational development for the common Baloch is the way forward ….

15. NAUSHAD says:

its all because of the governments present and the past and including intelligence agencies and army. they’ve wrecked every thing, i cant understand what they want to do because from there attitude it looks like they don’t want Baluchistan. there is a documentary on balochistan that how the goods smuugle from afghan border to pakistan from balochistan and i think so it is all politically related its all business like
    “GHANDA HAI PAR DHANDA HAI YE”

16. Afifa
    Balochistan issue will not be solved by singing the old song … politicians are corrupt and army officers are Paviter (Pure).
    From the day of Ayub Khan’s martial law, Pakistanis have been told that politicians are bad and corrupt and so are Baloch leaders. Pakistanis have also been told that Pakistan is yet to get a good leaders. Pakistan has always brilliant politicians – Akbar Bugti included but who killed them? Who toppled the goverments” Who played 20-20 game with Nawaz Sharif and Benazir? Who created political parties such as Convention League, PML (Junejo) and the PML (Q)? Of course, military rulers.
    Even today people are afraid of telling the truth as who is killing Balochs in Balochistan. Who is kidnapping and torchering them. Unfortunately Dawn readers without knowing any thing about Balochiatan are blaming politcians and Baloch leaders for the crisis. Someone wrote rightly that Balochistan was not part of Pakistan till 1948.
    If someone wants to know something about Balochistan, read Attaullah Mengal’s statement that he issued when he met Nawaz Sharif in Karachi recently.
    Balochistan has now become a serious issue but the government, the judiciary and the ‘real rulers’ of Pakistan are not taking it seriously. They are interested in Memo scandal.

• Amanullah says:

@Afifa, you have highlighted the correct point but still missed out to mention the major point which none of the commenters have hit. It seems like none of you have ever been to balochistan and just making your opinion based on your liking and disliking. Baloch tribal eladers are equally responsible for the plight of balochistan. Since 1947, these people have been taking royalities from government and never spent a penny on poor people. The royality was given to the tribal elder based on teh assumption that he will sepnd it on people. But it never happened. No infrasturcure was ever developed. No hospitals no schools. Bugtis, Murris, are all livgin in luxurios lives not only in Pakistan but also back in UK. I wish someone go and see Marris ouse in UK. Nobody has ever questioned that why Bugtis and Murris are getting richer by day? I have spent three years in Diera Bugti as at a Gas Filed. No Balochi was ever working there but on 1st of each month, we had long quese of local balchis to collect their slaries. I don’t mind that as long as poor is getting something, but I know that most of them were guards of AKbar Bugti. SO many times the OGDCL car was taken away right from the doors of tha plant. Bugti’s Castle walls are wide enough so that it is petroled by cars!! Was it not the duty of BUgtis and Murris to spent the money these people have taken as royality on poor Balochis. The statistics given by Walayet above are true. There are only 40% Balochis and out of these only a mere 1% want independence!

• NAUSHAD says:

yes affia it is true they are all involved but we the masses are the real corrupt people we don’t vote and get out on the streets and yet we are saying on the politicians. we have to be realistic and come to common terms other wise the land which is full of natural resources will taken out of hands and we cant do anything.

17. Raoul says:

I guess we should allow a referendum in Baluchistan and let that decide, not military force. After all, that is what we are demanding from another neighbour. let us put our money where our mouth is for a change !

18. jamal hasan says:

it is federal government responsibility to take action and do mandate proper law and order in balochistan. Frm the beginning balochistan has been kept apart from its rights. so instead of blamming others tht agenices r behind the back causing chaos thre . Government should be blammed first ….

Mr. Jamal,I am fully confident with your opinion. It is the only Federal govt. who can bring the Baloch peoples confidence back in the mainstream of Pakistani politics. I do believe that they have been looking for that treatment since long time that suppose to be based on equality and common feelings. If you can ensure their rights no one can harm the integrity of Pakistan.

19. Hrleen says:

No one is fighting for independence or greater autonomy in Junagarh. I never see it in the news for any kind of violence or agitation.

20. Iftekhar Hassan says:

A progressive mind is needed badly to solve Baluchistan problem. This must be done as soon as possible. U.S. Congress holding hearing on Baluchistan problem is nothing but slaps on the face of Pakistani politicians.

• Door Knob says:

Iftekhar, respectfully, you are wrong my friend. The US is our ally and wishes the peace loving citizens of Pakistan only health and prosperity and an end to violence and agitation. I know because a small bird told me so!

21. Iftekhar Hassan says:

U.S. congress hearing on Baluchistan is new poison pill toward beginning of breaking up of Pakistan. Iraq destroyed, Afghanistan destroyed, Iran anytime will be destroyed, the next venture will be on Pakistan. What Pakistan need is strong ground to Air defense system as an urgent basis and Pakistani politicians to get their act together.

When shall we learn something from Bangladesh war?

22. Yaseen Mirza says:

This is really very unfortunate to see what is happening in Balochistan. The grievances of our Baloch Brothers must be addressed.

23. Yaseen Mirza says:

This is really very unfortunate to see what is happening in Balochistan. The grievances of our Baloch Brothers must be addressed. Their due must be given to them. In my humble opinion, those who think that they would resolve this issue with gun, they are absolutely wrong. We made same mistake in Bangladesh. We tried to crush them and the result was separation of that part of Pakistan. So it’s inevitable to bring all the stakeholders on the negotiating table.We have to tell and make our Baloch Brothers to believe,that we are not their enemies. They are as respectable and important to us as other citizens of Pakistan. No body want to deprive them from their basic rights. May Allah save this nation and country from calamities.

24. Baloch Well Wisher says:

Salaam.
    I am pained to see these comments. Baloch people have given their blood for the country but they have not been given their due. It is time that the Government gives them their due so that they are not brought to a stage where they have to pick up arms for something what is rightfully theirs.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement