Citizens of the world

Citizens of the world

On Monday, Federal Minister for Interior Rehman Malik became the latest casualty in the dual-citizenship case and his membership of the Senate was revoked by the Supreme Court, two weeks after the same happened to former parliamentarian Farahnaz Ispahani.

While the 14 elected members of the parliament and the provincial assemblies have been issued notices by the apex court, they have until June 13 to submit documents showing their singular citizenship of Pakistan in order to hold on to their public offices.

Some of the ministers embroiled in the case have already denounced claims of their dual citizenship and have even vowed to file for damages against the petitioners.

While the fate of these public office holders hangs in the balance, the question remains if holding the citizenship of another country, while serving the nation, really questions the official’s fidelity?

Should factors such as the official’s history as a public office holder or political leader not be considered as measures of their fidelity to the nation?

Is it fair to strip them of their seats in the parliament or the provincial assemblies?

Dawn.com invites its readers to share their opinion and suggestions…

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

119 Responses to “Citizens of the world”

1. Zubair says:

When someone presents him/her-self to represent the people and wishes to get elected for public office or a position of authority where he is required to protect and secure the interest of nation his loyalty to the country and people should be absolutely absolutely unquestionable. However, when someone takes oath of allegiance with some other country this loyalty comes into question. At individual level the question is, will you let your wife/husband to have an affair with another man/woman even though she/he claims that she/he is still loyal to you in all respect. she/he is just having a relationship to secure her/his future.

2. A. Khan says:

Our judiciary and the people, unfortunately, latch on to the wrong thing and flog it to death. The fact is note Rehman Malik has dual nationality but that he lied about it. In any public position, lying leaves the individual open to blackmail, ridicule and god knows what else. But that is part and parcel of our politics.

Story from yesterday, is that the mystery of our foreign ministers $25,000 handbag has been resolved. Apparently one of factories owes an electricity bill of Rs77m. Our electricity company, toadies that they are, have changed their bill to be paid at monthly rate of Rs3000 over 25000+ monthly installments. That will take roughly more than 2000 years to pay off.

So my friends.. you can see how she is able to afford the 25000 dollar handbag. Most of these political scum are like that.

3. Tanvir says:

These are not the “citizens of the world”. They are the “Citizens of Opportunities” who wants to milk the cows on both sides of the world. They become citizen of a Western country just to ensure their financial and physical security. But they still greedily desire (not patriotic) to stay or become elites of Pakistan. They do not live in Pakistan when they have no positions and perks are offered to them. Their patriotism is phoney because they consider thmeselves superior to those living in and striving in Pakisatn. Pakistan shalll be ruled, sereved and managed by those living in Pakistan most of the time, not by those who just want to live in Pakistan when they are offered high positions of responsibilities and financial rewards and diplomatic perks. Can’t 165 Million Pakistani find a 1000 qualified persons to elect to their provincial and federal assemblies and run thier country with genuine patriotism?

4. Faisal says:

Would the Quaid or Liaquat Ali Khan have ever wished or wanted dual citizenship?

I arrest my case right here.

Patriots and Pakistan only for full-blooded Pakistanis, not for anyone else.

Please get real

5. Javaid Iqbal says:

Surely we shouldn’t have to legislate on this matter. If we don’t want politicians with dual nationalities we can just stop voting for them. I would personally have no qualms with having a dual national in the government.

The argument with them being able to run out of the country easier is also pretty ridiculous. I think it has become perfectly clear that our single nationality politicians are able to launder their money quite unimpeded and have plenty of international sanctuaries if need be.

The only thing we really achieve with this is to disqualify potentially competent politicians and alienate our huge and profitable expat community.

6. Agha Ata says:

Pakistanis consider the USA as an enemy. UK will always side the USA. Whose side the dual-citizenship holders (of Pakistan and UK) will be on?

7. M H KHAN says:

Let him continue. This is in our destiny; we are ruled directly or indirectly by foreigners. It will make no changes.

8. Naim says:

Nawaz Sharif to Saudia Arabia
    Mushraf to Britain
    Zardari to Dubai

Let us see who is next in line.

9. Ramsha Qazi says:

Although I am not a fan of Mr. Rehman Malik or any of the politicians caught up in this, I disagree with the decision taken by the judges. People with dual citizenships haven’t revoked one or the other, but are comfortable with both nationalities. In this increasingly global world, I don’t see what’s wrong with that, or how the question of loyalty springs up. This would mean that a single nationality murderer/rapist/corrupt individual is more loyal, or better suited for office than a dual nationality law abiding, qualified and patriotic individual.

My personal choice is to stick to the Pakistani nationality only on the basis that I am most comfortable on my own soil, with my own people. However I know many who would leave Pakistan if given the opportunity to do so. They just don’t have the resources. Come on, with rampant terrorism and lack of even the most basic facilities, who wouldn’t want to leave for a better future? Dual nationality would mean a safer environment for them, better education, healthcare —the sky is the limit. However, many (not all) of the ones who do have the chance and are still in Pakistan are clearly benefiting via some unscrupulous means. If our noble landowners were to leave and try to gain as much respect in some other part of the world, they would fail miserably.

So, if you really want to prevent someone from running for office, prove the countless cases of corruption and crime against them. Banning them based on dual nationality is a pathetic attempt at apparently stopping such individuals as it isn’t addressing the root issues, rather it is desperately trying to tug at any barrier that can be used to stop such politicians.

• Umar says:

How would you expect a senior official or a policy maker (e.g MNA, Senator) with US citizenship to behave if there is a conflict between the interests of the two countries on centain policy matters. The world unfornately does not operate in an environment where interests of all nations are completely aligned. Take the example of Pak-Iran gas pipeline. We should not expect dual citizens to have a completely objective view on such issues. The gas pipeline is certainly a necessity for Pakistan. Whereas it is against US and Israeli interests.

Dual cizenship should be allowed in cases where the interests of Pakistan are completely aligned with the other country.

• billu says:

First, I disagree with your reference that single nationality folks are somehow more prone to being murderers/rapist/corrupt individual and dual nationality folks are more law abiding. I have dual nationality, and I know some corrupt and pretty nasty dual nationality folks, so this sort of sweeping generalization makes no sense.
      I have no objection to people holding dual nationality for their personal welfare and interests as you rightly pointed out. But the important point to ponder is that government officials are elected/selected to serve the interests of a country. If their personal interests are not inline with the interests of the country then we have a “conflict of interest” scenario. We should not have officials who should think in the back of their mind “let the country sink, I have a backdoor to get out of this mess”. They should be afraid of sinking with the country.
      “Conflict of interest” is a well understood concept in civilized world. It is unfortunate that there is even a debate about this within Pakistani community.

10. Arun Nair says:

The question is similar to can a man be considered loyal to his wife or a woman loyal to her husband even though they occasionally sleep with their paramours!!!!!!!!!! The answer depends on ones out look towards the matter as whole!!!!!

11. Usman Sherazi says:

It is ironic that while the country depends on its patrotic expats for its continuos, unending and hassle free supply of foreign exchange, thanks to wrongdoings of a handful of politicians and corrupt bureaucrats, the loyalty and patriotism of millioins have been put in question.
    While most are shamelessly joining the rhetoric, and denying those the chance to serve the country who happen to be its pride for being some of the most talented, highly educated and experienced.
    The message the entire nation, the judiciary and the media are sending to the die-hard, super patriotic Expatriate Pakistanis ïn the current shameful scenario is simple: ¨YES WE DO NEED YOU DOLLARS, BUT NOT YOUR SERVICES; NO MATTER HOW BRIGHT; TALENTED AND PATRIOTIC YOU ARE”.
    This debate must continue in earnest. I would appreciate some real, though-provoking comments and feedback.
    Tired of the same old rhetoric pelease!!

• Ijaz Khan says:

na, foreign remittance arent sent to the country but the families and relatives living in the country and/or for the future when the land will absorb them back. period.

holding an office is a matter of interest and conflict of interests isnt affordable in this case. thanks.

• ali abbas says:

Bravo sir

12. SR says:

One of the biggest obstacles in the way of establishment of effective political institutions in the undeveloped
    (okay developing) world is the widely prevalent idea of political office being a reward for sacrifice or
    service of the individual, or even more harmfully, of the elders or ancestors or the individual.

Leaders should be chosen on the basis of the nations needs, and discarded (the bluntness is deliberate)
    when a nation no longer needs what they have to offer; that does not preclude a comfortable retirement
    and rewards for a job well done, but election to (or selection for) political office and responsibility should
    never, ever, be granted as a reward or benefit or right.

The idea of unfairness to politicians or denial of their rights etc betrays that streak of an entitlement
    and reward complex. We should instead speak of the people being denied the right to a representation
    of their choice for example.

When a very significant part of a nations wealth is in the form of, and in the hands of its diaspora,
    care should be exercised in limiting their attachment to and participation in the life of the nation;
    note again the perspective should be the needs of the nation. There is a whole range of requirements
    possible between native birth exclusive citizenship and naturalized proforma second passport citizenship;
    there can be residency, domicile and asset location requirements as seen fit for various positions.
    They should be finely crafted and restrictive only to the extent required.

On the other hand, there need to be very stringent requirements for holding high government and
    sensitive positions.

Even in the United States, a nation of immigrants (Henry Kissinger, Arnold Schwarzenegger…) security
    clearance is denied to individuals that could be subject to foreign pressure. Somewhere on the Web
    you can find a US court decision upholding the denial of a security clearance to a citizen of long standing
    (with US-born children) whose mother still resided in Teheran.

13. Tamza says:

NO ONE in public office, judges in any court, members of parliament, bureaucrats, military officers etc, ie any government-paid employee/person, or their family, should be permitted to hold non-Pakistan nationalities. Spouses would have to give up foreign nationalities upon marriage (men or women), children may do so only after they reach adulthood. Anything else invites disloyalty, specially in Pakistan.

14. hadiqa says:

it does not matter that a man has double or triple nationality but the matter is how much he or she showing his or her sincerity with a country,our politicians have no moral values,not ashamed on any activity done,they are all Shakespeare’s Iago,and disguised enemy we as a nation can expect them more than that…,

15. Aijaz says:

Dear Friends
    This issue of dual nationality tells us, how weak are we on legislation side and enforcement of the law of the land. Why we do not have laws and the the system to enforce it to curb corruption. Does this present uproar means that its ok to destroy Pakistan if you have a single nationality. How many ministers and advisers at present with single nationality are plundering the country. America, Australia and UK etc has no problem with dual nationality but our only concerns is dual nationality. This is really a very shallow approach to solve the country problems. The leadership of the country should come up with laws and regulations and an implementation system to prevent and punish any individual who works against the interest of Pakistan. Overseas Pakistanis are more loyal than those who live in Pakistan. General Mushrraf or general Zia or Ayub Khan all were single nationality holders. If there is a lice in one’s head hair, the remedy should never be to burn the head rather sort out the lice. The same is the case of Rehman Malik, Hussain Haqqani or Wajid Sham ul Hassan. Let’s sort out these back sheep rather question the patriotism of the millions of hardworking Pakistanis working abroad.
    with regards
    Aijaz Ahmad Khan

16. Naved says:

Dual citizenship of any country should be allowed but holding offices is questionable. No cou try allows that and should nt be allowed. These politicians are corrupt and h will run away with illegal money once given a chance. If you want to serve a country then you live with hem and bear all the good days and bad days with them. How dare you clam to serve the people and get benefits from perks from th country and then run away when bad times comes. This not acceptable. My salute to the Judges who took these decisions. Who will come next, will it be Mqm Chief or PML N politicians

17. asim says:

Did anyone checked the nationality of Mr Asif Ali Zardari?

18. Ayaz Korejo says:

This is such an unnecessary issue. Most of the best brains of Pakistan acquired their educations, experience, and accomplishments in other countries because they did not have the same opportunities in their country. And while the very rich can afford to come back and live their lifestyle here, a great deal of the middle class professionals can only do what they can overseas because they dont have the right connections here. So if and when they choose to come back, it is mostly out of love for their country and roots. And if they can support this country’s economy by billions of dollars every year, they should also have the right to vote and run for elections and change the system for the better if they can. All this false pride and jingoism and false patriotism is just that, and is closing our society to new ideas and practices that have been successful everywhere else in the world. Nobody has a monopoly on patriotism, and everyone has a right to their viewpoint. So let us open our minds and our hearts to some of the very best we have ever produced.

• Tamza says:

No. They can support by investing as private citizens; but not from positions where they can make decisions that may affect the freedom etc.

19. faisal says:

I think its does not matter which nationality you are from as long you performing the duty with dignity and honestly , i have dual nationality does it make me less pakistani no , its very quick for our official to ask aid from overseas dual national and when one want to be part of active role in any field , all excuse comes up and yes at same time i am not endorsing anyone action.

20. Sheraz Malik says:

My opinion on this is that, ExPats Pakistani are the 2nd largest contributors to Pakistani GDP without even using any so called facilities in Pakistan and most of them work very hard and sincerely to protest Pakistan’s interest abroad under tough circumstances …. why can they not be allowed to participate in elections ? The country is suffering mostly in the hands of people born, raised and live in Pakistan, why is that a criteria for us ? If UK, US , Canada and most of develop world allows dual nationals to server their people ( even though they are mostly were not even born in their land) yet we can not trust our own people ? We think they will be more loyal to their hosting/2nd country over their country of origin ? if so they we need to seriously examine the reason they will … are we that backward and paranoid ? What if ExPat stop sending billions of dollars today to Pakistan ?

21. Fakhruddin Shaukat says:

Nobody seems to care that these cheats have committed perjury by lying under oath. In any civilized nation, they would have been sent packing to jail.

22. Zahid Hussain says:

If our lawmakers realize that they will have to face the consequences of their actions once out of the office they will act much more responsibly . Where as when law makers have business interests , families and huge assets overseas. Not only Dual citizen ships but permanent residencies and even opportunity of simple escape to another country is enough for them to not care as they will not be around to live in the mess they create. I believe any Public office holder and Govt official above a certain level should be barred from maintaining family / business interests outside the country. Not sure how Pakistan can allow Senior most Ministers, / lawmakers/ army officials / Presidents and prime ministers to to simply walk out of Pakistan a day after they leave the office. Is that not a huge security risk to have X Generals and ministers in foreign lands….? Who can guarantee they will keep the secrets they own?

23. Holyman says:

We are missing the point; Pakistani affairs should be run by Pakistani people. I would not like a Pakistani origin becoming the President of USA for the good of USA interests. I respect Pakistani-Americans very much. They are wonderful citizens of my beloved country and contribute enormously in education, medicine and engineering fields.
    It shows that the person’s moral values and love for well being may not be at the level one expects from the leaders. Unfortunately, most my Pakistani-American friends are sick of PPP, PML(N/Q), MQM, BLA, and one of the Islami party. However, they all love very much PTI leader Mr. Khan and wish him to be the elected Prime Minister. Chief Justice Chaudhry should be your next President to get rid of all the bad apples one’s he leaves the Highest Court in Pakistan.

Please, Your religion (Islam is the most wonderful religion of all on this planet earth), Love each other, Do No harm to even animals. Follow it Don’t become animals. The world will love you and I can say this that Americans will salute you.

24. TLA says:

There are others who are not coming forward with their other nationalities, check the cabinet members ? Let them all own up to multiple nationalities that they hold. Mr. Malik had a record, how was a person with a record allowed to hold such a key post, not to mention his dismal performance . Past record should also be an important criteria, the constitution bars people with dubious or criminal record from being allowed to contest elections. Persons character and past record should be checked before nationality. Coo rut leaders can be extradited, people can file cases against them, get a judgement and go after them. Have to have the will to do the right thing. Crooks are not going to go after crooks.

25. MAK (usa) says:

Citizen of the world? Go work for UNO

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement