Citizens of the world

Citizens of the world

On Monday, Federal Minister for Interior Rehman Malik became the latest casualty in the dual-citizenship case and his membership of the Senate was revoked by the Supreme Court, two weeks after the same happened to former parliamentarian Farahnaz Ispahani.

While the 14 elected members of the parliament and the provincial assemblies have been issued notices by the apex court, they have until June 13 to submit documents showing their singular citizenship of Pakistan in order to hold on to their public offices.

Some of the ministers embroiled in the case have already denounced claims of their dual citizenship and have even vowed to file for damages against the petitioners.

While the fate of these public office holders hangs in the balance, the question remains if holding the citizenship of another country, while serving the nation, really questions the official’s fidelity?

Should factors such as the official’s history as a public office holder or political leader not be considered as measures of their fidelity to the nation?

Is it fair to strip them of their seats in the parliament or the provincial assemblies?

Dawn.com invites its readers to share their opinion and suggestions…

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

119 Responses to “Citizens of the world”

1. Asad Qureshi says:

It is matter of making hay while the sun shines. These dual nationality holders with political affiliations get attracted to their country of origin only for personal gains when the time is ripe. They come, they reap the benefits and then they go till their turn comes again to do the same. And those claiming that the expats keep sending forex to Pakistan must set get their facts right. The biggest contributors to Pakistan’s foreign exchange reserves are is the labor class working in the Gulf and Middle East. They have been in sending money since the 1970’s and will never be able to get foreign nationality. The contribution of those in the Europe and North America is mere peanuts. There is no comparison of the Pakistani nationals working overseas to feed their families back home and the ruling elites who has settled down in the West and come to Pakistan for few years as a joy ride. Its nothing but blatant hypocrisy.

2. I.A. Siddiqui says:

In the context of Mr. Malik disqualification, is he serving nation? This question needs to be answered before discussing anything on the constitutional bar on parliamentarians having two nationalities.

3. Baldev Chawla says:

Yes indeed one must decide where he or she belongs – to UK or Pakistan. It is like having a cake and eat it too. Loyalties cannot be conditional,fragmented or unsure. If you are wedded to your own nation, your own people you cannot distrust them for holding another nationality to come handy just in case. It is time leaders in Pakistan come out clean of their unequivocal decisions of nationality. Chawla

4. Agha Ata says:

“Is it fair to strip them of their seats in the parliament of the provincial assemblies?” Yesssss. Because the Chief Justice says so. (Incidentally, only judiciary can interpret LAW.” period!

5. Shahab says:

If holding a parliamentary seat is not permissible for dual citizen nationals, then even voting should not be allowed by dual citizenship holders. I presume the rationale being that the Parlimetnatrian may not act 100% in the interest of his country, so the same can apply to dual citizenship holding voters that they may also be biased in choosing the parliamentarians with a conflict of interest. Sorry, can’t have one rule for the voters and a separate rule for the candidates. Has to be uniformity.  This is not to show my like or dislike for Rahman Malik, but simply a matter of principle.  I am myself a Dual citzen and can’t see how I can ever act in anyway to jeopardise the interest of Pakistan, and I believe no Parlimentarian can either. Unfortunately if anyone wants to act against the interest of his country, as a traitor, he does not need to be a dual national.  We have the on going dispute about Dr Afridi to prove that point.  

• srfraz says:

I guess Shahab has forgotten the oath taken at citizenship ceremony in his 2nd country. Yes, he can do it but he will be betraying one of the countries if situation arise! To add to this, in UK any resident permanent, temporary and citizen has right to vote. This is not true in Canada. I don’t know about US. Voting is different than governance

• ali abbas says:

lets not forget its people of Pakistan who vote these people in. Its not CJ or even parliament that is supreme, people are supreme. We can demand that any candidate should disclose if they have dual nationalities and then let people vote. Some people might says that God and religion are supreme but I do not hear anything against dual nationalities in Quran.

6. Kharbindersingh says:

The questions posed by Dawn require thorough consideration and debate. However these questions are posed in response to the current incidents. I think that it is fair to debar individuals from certain public offices even if they are competent, honest and deserving persons because the court should not consider these factors if it is making the decision according to law made by the democratic processes. If the court ignores those laws and considers the factors which law excludes then it will amount to a judicial coup because the court would purport to overrule the will of the people reflected through the law made by democratic processes. On the other hand such a law may be regarded as unfair and unjust and the court should criticise such unfairness in law while upholding it. The court can also request the lawmakers to reconsider the law for suitable amendments. Additionally society should be encouraged and navigated through education where the society could produce good, competent and honest politicians who will then work to enact rational and fair laws which will save the courts from making unfair decisions.

7. aisha says:

As much as I am not in favor of rehman malik being anything, yet it is not fair that dual citizens are not allowed to serve in parliament. especially if shaukat aziz served as the prime minister of the country.

• Yousuf says:

aisha, i agree with first part of your view. very well said.

• Waqar says:

Shaukat Aziz was imported PM and this kind of unique stuff happens only when Military is runnig the show in Pakistan.

• ali abbas says:

is there any provision that you can apply for Pakistani military if you are a dual citizen. How about judges? Why this law should only apply to the politician? So elected people should have less right than unelected people. What a logic!

8. ibrahim says:

Corrupt individuals need to be sent packing irrespective of their nationality, but lying to get a prestigious office is unpardonable. The Supreme Court and its Honorable Chief Justice, along with the other fellow judges need to be saluted for the high standards of transparency and integrity, they are setting for the nation. These judges will go down in history as honorable men with sterling qualities of the heart and soul, worth emulating.

9. Dr.Humayun Akhtar says:

Dual nationalities for such key government security positions should not be allowed just as they are not allowed in other countries such as USA.

10. Shahid Naqvi says:

There is nothing wrong with holding dual nationalities. What is in question is the wilfull and blatant violation of the rules and regulations. If the constitution of Pakistan states that no one can hold office in the Governement sector or become a member of Parliament or Senate who has dual nationality .Then those individuals will have to resign.(Article 63,1c. of the constitution)

However what is likely to happen is that the National Assembly will pass a resolution and the President can make it into law that yes you can hold Public and Governement office with a dual nationality.

This is similar to what President Musharraf wanted to do to get exemption from the two year rule to sit out after holdng a Government job when he was trying to legalize his Presidency.

Changing the rules as it suits you is a tradition that has to be stopped.

11. Faisal says:

Yes dual nationality matters, When one signs intentionally wrong affidivat of single nationality, then nationality is directly linked to unintentional loyality. Dual national will be loyal to which nationality????

but

No dual nationality does not matters, when one onely claims to be nationality and contest in court or public etc that he may be allowed to contect even with dual nationality( ethichs expected from Democracy)

12. Tajuddin says:

No No how can you trust other citizan? they can do any thing to country but they will say I am other country citizan so I have to go or something ruine coutry. Like did it and so long

13. parveez says:

These corrupt leaders should never hold dual- citizenship because, these leaders leave Pakistan once their government is out of power. They come back again once their government is in power. They steal billions from Pakistan, and have no loylty to Pakistan, because they know they can go abroad. If they could not go abroad once their government is not in power, they will have to face the law, and pay for all the crimes that they have done while they were in power.

14. Muhammad Rizwan Malik says:

” The question remains if holding the citizenship of another country, while serving the nation, really questions the official’s fidelity? ”

Yes, it really questions the patriotism of that person because nationalities of countries require full faithfulness and contribution in an event of war. How can they serve the Pakistani public when their interests lie elsewhere, not to mention the tonnes of cases against them of money laundering and corruption. The conflict of interest is simply not acceptable. Either they’r with us or them. We have already suffered from the Shaukat Aziz tragedy, as he simply flew out after destroying our economy. We cant let that happen again.

• asim says:

Damage is already done. Hundres of CIA agents are roaming in the country.

• Sheraz Malik says:

Shukat Aziz didn’t have dual nationality, and in facts – it is mostly our own single Pakistani Nationals who are responsible for years of corruption, bankruptcy and downfall of the nation. If other nations allow dual nationals to server their nations even though they are Pakistani origin, why can’t we trust our own born people ? Ayub, Bhottu, Zia, and 90% of corrupt officials in Pakistan are single citizens of Pakistan. Also remember that ExPats are the 2nd largest contributors to the GDP of Pakistan yet not using any Pakistani infrastructure … what if they stop doing that ? they contribute more, defend Pakistan more then anyone else out side and get nothing out of it , mean while our own single citizens can not even bring the country to straight path, sorry but this is just another excuse for excluding ppl. Sincerity is not defined by your citizenship.

15. Amjad Wyne says:

I am surprised that Britan allows such corrupt individuals to become its citizens.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement