Ask Afridi

Ask Afridi

Pakistan’s World Twenty20 hero, Shahid Afridi, is all the rage with cricket fans world over. As attention shifts to Test cricket, Afridi takes out time to answer Dawn.com’s readers’ questions.

What is it that you have always wanted to know? Why he blew that kiss to Kallis or how, finally, he decided to build an innings? Do you have questions about Afridi’s training regimen, or his favourite moments in cricket history? Or do you want to learn the secret of delivering a lightening-fast flipper? Now’s your chance to chat with the champ and learn all.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

96 Responses to “Ask Afridi”

1. Shahrukh says:

I still remember shahid afridi, who’s among the nicest cricket player in Pakistan team. I once met him at PC hotel Lahore. The team was boarding a bus and i was just a spectator. Interestingly i being not a big fan of Pakistan cricket, was just a curious on lookers. When the team go board the bus,I saw Afridi on window seat.I started staring at him and interestingly never waved at him, but he being a nice gentle man waved towards me. And in result i waved at him too.. i cant forget the moment. No matter he is boom boom or wam bam, he is star of people hearts.
    Keep the good work Afridi.. we love you..

2. Faizaan says:

How do you see Fawad alams future? Dont you think that he should be in Pakistan playing 11 on a more regular basis with his first class average of 56.75. Also Shahid bhai you have done fantastic for Pakistani cricket and made Pakistanis all over the world very happy.

3. Musharraf Husain says:

How did you control your temperament in T-20 , 2009.
    Can we axpect that you will maintain it in all formats i.e. tests and one dayers in future.
    Assured that if you maintain it, you will be the best not even in Pakistan but in world.
    God bless you.

4. Fahad bin Emad says:

First of all many congratulations on your success in T20 WC. Please tell us your future plans about batting. Will you continue sensible batting just like in semi final and final or not? Secondly why are you not playing Test series in Srilanka? Don’t you think that you can bowl very well in Srilankan conditions plus if you bat sensibly you can be handy with the bat as well. Your batting average in Test is pretty healthy

5. Ahmed Omair says:

What happened between you and Kallis in the semi final?

6. My Question for Shahid Afridi:

Questions are being raised that the core of the responsibility shown in Afridi’s batting in the semi-final and the final was to do with Afridi aiming to get a hold of the captaincy. Is is true you had to show that you are a responsible player so you would be considered by the selectors for the role of Pakistan’s Captain?

7. Fawad Haq says:

At what point recently did you feel or know that things were going to change or they had to change or else?

8. Khalil Qureshi says:

Dear Afridi

How did you manage to control your instincts

9. Ali Anwerzada says:

My question to boom boom Afridi is:

Your bowling has improved significantly that you deserve a Test spot. Do you want to play tests again? We would love to see you playing against Australia this winter!

10. Ahsan says:

I was wondering how did he come up with the new celebration (the one he does after taking a wicket)?

11. Hasan Iqbal says:

Great going! Keep it up! Yeah, thats the way to do it! Keep the Pak flag flying high! Keep playing sensibly and InshAllah this team will once again be the greatest.

I have a request that I hope you would carry out. It would be really nice and brotherly if you and the rest of the Pak team go to visit the IDP camps and take the T20 World Cup trophy too. It will be a great patriotic moment for them and it will increase their love for this dear country and its people. Much more importantly, it will bring a smile to their face. Hope you will give this some serious thought.

Good luck for your future career. In the end I would say, “Dair Ala!”.
    Pakistan Zindabad!

Hasan from KHI.

12. Masroor Cheeda says:

Aoa Shahid Afridi
    I am a great Pakistani Team Fan
    I take this honour in letting you know that i was always your admirer when ever you play for Pakistan Team. Try your level best to score and take wickets in the One Day and T20 series. Best of Luck Buddy

My Question?
    Can you tell me is it possible for you to name a Cricketer who u think can replace you in future, who has same style in all the departments in our domestic structure.
    So we can remember you thru him all our lifes?????????

13. Junaid Farid Khan says:

Hi Afridi,

I just want to know that how you transformed your career over the last 3-4 months…i have heard Saeed Anwar saying that it is hard for Afridi to listen to him during his playing days because you are a pathan. Did he ever told you to change the technique of your shorts?

14. Joshua A. Khan says:

Dr. Afridi,
    As my Father and I watched, all the way in America, our beloved Pakistan being takin charged of your commanding strokes. We smiled knowing our chances at winning the World Cup were high and the boom boom Afridi would not let us or his team down.
    My question to you is as you made your final stroke and began to run down the pitch what did it feel like? Knowing that you have just won the world cup for our country.
    Secondly, seeing as though it came against the Lankans, who was a very worthy opponent, did the ironic story of what happened in Lahore bring more emotions to the overall feeling of your accomplishment.
    Finally I want to thank you for getting to the questions and I will end with
    !!!!!!PAKISTAN ZINDEBAD!!!!!

15. Alan says:

Afridi

Your 2 knocks in the semis and final
    demostrate you as a most powerful all rounder cricketer in the world .
    Cricketers are struggling to read your spin,
    Batsmen are scared to run a single when you are around and the Batting! That is too much extraordinary.

Where does the idea of Composing your batting comes from like Slog only when necessary and stay defensive otherwise. Like is a secret to success.

Is it the experience which guides you there or there are specific team instructions to work it out that way?

16. Akil says:

Afridi,

I’ve heard that you are going to play for NSW, Australian. Is it true?

Regards

17. Nabeel says:

Hello Afridi Bhai,

My wife and I are your big fans. My wife is from Philipines and she started watching cricket with T20 worldcup and now she loves cricket. Your performance was outstanding. My question is why don’t you play Test cricket? I see you have good average and big potential. Is it something to do with selection or is that you don’t want to play this form of the game?

18. Sarmad Rahman says:

Asalam Shahid bhai, you have made everyone a believer out of you again!!! Do you see yourself batting more conservatively like you did in the t20 worldcup and playing your natural shots when available??

19. Jeetender Dadvai(India) says:

Shahid, Congratulation for winning the World Cup and what a knock by you. I was little surprised by your comment that Indians didnt want to Play Pakistan in T20 World Cup. For us it felt that Indians were very reluctant to play the whole of T20 tournament. I am a Deccan Chargers Fan…waiting for you in next IPL

20. Sufyan says:

You clearly see your self more as a bowler than a batsman. If you had to choose your batting posistion, What number would you feel comfortable to bat at during one days?

People expect Afridi to go out and slaughter the bowling attach as they say boom boom, at the same time they expect you to not give your wicket away while hitting the ball. Ideally how would you want people to see you as a batsman?

21. Uzair Javaid says:

Dear Shahid

Heartiest felicitations on winning our nation the glory. You and your colleagues were outstanding which made Us all at home very proud and honored.

Shahid I wanted to know was there any special motivation in your squad that really made you put all your efforts and focus in to win the title. Was there any special help from Allah as well that you felt has had helped you in your games? because everybody saw what Pakistan with and what they Got in the end. It was a mere blessing of Allah in this crucial time for you and our country

22. bilal says:

Being a hero for Pakistanis all over the world. You have made us proud by your extra ordinary performance in recent T20 cup.
    Did you ever thought to help the people of your region in any way? Till now, what our cricketers have done for them. I mean the IDPs from Swat, Dir and Buner are burning in scorching heat with nothing to eat, while our multi-millionaire heroes are showered with huge prizes worth millions.

Bilal
    Washington DC

23. Ikram kapadia says:

Do you think test cricket should be done away with, since its lost its popularity?

24. Sachin says:

Hi Shahid,
    Congratulations on T20 victory. My question is: Do you feel more comfortable as a bowler or as a batsman?
    Sachin

25. Shamshuddin Ajani says:

Dear Shahid
    Firstly its a privelage to have you in our Pakistan team and hope you can play for as long as your are physically fit and can perfrom at the top level. My question is the determination you have shown in the recent 20/20 world cup dont you feel with you multi talent of both bat and ball and not forgetting your fielding skills you can also contribute to the test team where we can have an extra all rounder with your leg spin bowling can be added support to our existing bowlers. You have done very well in the past especially against old rivals India and last time England were in Pakistan. Would be great if you can answer me and answer the nations call and consider playing test cricket again as players like you are not born every day and for you are a star no matter what form of cricket you play. My very best from Dar es salaam, Tanzania a die hard pakistani and your fan forever.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement