The right call?

The right call?

Former federal information minister and human rights campaigner Sherry Rehman has been appointed Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United States within 12 hours of Husain Haqqani’s resignation.

Haqqani resigned on Tuesday, days after Pakistani-American businessman, Mansoor Ijaz accused him of being behind a memo that accused the Pakistani military of plotting a coup in May.

In your opinion, will Sherry Rehman’s political portfolio make her a credible Ambassador to the US?

How will her new appointment impact US-Pakistan relations?

Sherry Rehman’s previous resignation from the post as federal information minister in 2009 was reportedly due to differences of opinion with President Zardari on imposing restrictions on the media. Will those differences factor in her responsibilities as Pakistan’s envoy to the US?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

128 Responses to “The right call?”

1. Dr. Zubairi, USA says:

Having lived in the US for the last 50 years and having closely worked with a dozen Pakistan’s ambassadors I find that the most useful ambassador is the most non-political one, be it a career diplomat, a General or a scholar. We have been unfortunate in not having any significantly US educated ambassador. Our politicians particularly are not cognizant of the immense resources this country has and indeed the Pakistani community has to offer. Our diplomats are largely busy in political gamesmanship, serving as local agent for the visiting dignitaries and selling to others at various prices, often cheaply. They know little about America, want to know less and obtain even less from the community. Ambassador Rehman comes to Washington with multiple baggage. Her success would depend on her pragmatic adaptation to a difficult environment. She can best be poised to find out how she can be most useful for the people and institutions of Pakistan not the politicians of Pakistan. ( Former President Pakistan Association of Greater Washington; Pakistan Foundation of America )

• Badar says:

After being here in the US for last 31 years myself (since the age of 18), I agree with some of your comments while disagree with some others. Many former Pakistani Ambassadors were very successful. Agha Hilaly’s critical role bringing US closer to China during Nixon days was respectfully acknowledged by Henry Kissinger in “White House Years”. Maliha Lodhi earned a unique distinction and honor when Joe Biden, being Senate Majority leader, sponsored a Senate Resolution praising her diplomatic services at the end of her second tenure. Hussein Haqqani, though controversial in so many other ways, defended Pakistan eloquently during US media appearances.
      The role of Pakistani Ambassador in DC has changed a lot during last 50 years most during last 20 years. A

Pakistani Ambassador in DC need not be US educated but intelligent enough to develop relations in multiple dimensions e.g., US media, political circles, academics, think tanks and US Administration all at the same time. It is no easy job. They need to be sharp tongued, witty, intelligent, quick witted while diplomatic and sincere to Pakistan at the same time.

Sherry Rahman understands this all. Let her wish the best.

• Pervaiz says:

Well said. We should emphasize on professionalism in our foreign affairs. Also, it is the legal right of a career diplomat to be appointed as an Ambassador.

2. Shaan, San Diego says:

This is a great move. I understand this appointment will not change the core problems, Pakistan is currently facing like threat of terrorism, religious intolerance, poor image around the world, poor economy etc. However, Ms. Rehman is a smart and capable woman who can articulate very well. Her appearance on talk shows will definetely project a softer image of Pakistan which is very badly needed.
    Good luck Sherry, you will need every bit of it.

3. M.Khan says:

It is good for the people of Pakistan that a person like her is out of the country, And is going to a place where she belongs. These so called champions of democracy and showbiz glamour need to be away from our culture political process. I’m pretty sure that she will only serve as a decoration piece and nothing else.

4. Furqan says:

How she will represent the sentiments of this nation when she herself belong to a certain political party.

5. sohaib says:

Nothing against her, but I m of the opinion that career diplomats must hold key positions in foreign service. Politicking where it must be avoided should be avoided. Our previous diplomat in Washington was more busy projecting and defending his boss and his government rather than Pakistan. This is where the key trouble is when career diplomats are ignored. Also, the Foreign Office has been constantly ignored by several previous and current governments. Through personal interference of army chiefs, PM and president our institutions have been destroyed or have become insignificant in policy and decision making.

6. Mirwais Momand says:

Actually, in a democratic society and Government, high ranking officials are always appointed based on their relationship with the prime minister and president etc. Sherry got the position, because of her affilitiaton with the PPP and let’s see how she can deal and bridge the gaps between US And Pakistan at such a critical siutation.

7. fatima says:

Shery’s appointment is nothing more than a gift which she patiently waited and didn’t went against party,,,as if shah mehmood qureshi would have waited this post was definitely was his…govt has no concern about pakistani image or anything its just concerned to give benefit to their party people.

8. Atam Vetta says:

I fear even the highly competent political journalists of Pakistan have missed the real significance of Sherry Rehman’s appointment. She is NOT a Zardari loyalist. It is likely that Bilawal Bhutto Zardari IS a Sherry Rehman loyalist and she was chosen by him. I congratulate both on this execellent choice.

I hope some Pak journalist will explore the significance of my assertion for PPP and Pakistan.

9. Raghav says:

Sherry Rehman is an excellent choice and she is a very well educated, moderate, modern and articulate lady who will surely improve the image of Pakistan.

But there is one problem. Technically Hina Rabbani Khar as the Foreign Minister will be her boss, Hina is very much junior to Sherry and is nowhere as brilliant as Sherry. Will this not create ego hassles? Two women seldom get along with each other and that too two glamorous beautiful women?

10. Hari Har says:

Sherry Rahman is respected in both India and Pakistan. She was close to Shaheed Benazir Bhutto. I have no doubt that she will go very well with India’s Nirupma Rao. She will also project an image of moderate Pakistan to meet America’s expectations. At the end of the day, things won’t change in Pakistan itself by appointmenting her as an ambassador to the US, but internationally it will make a difference. We wish her well and the great nation of Pakistan.

11. Syed A. Zafar USA says:

It is time for change. Those who insist that the career diplomats are the only solution to successful Pakistani diplomacy are mistaken in my opinion. The same old mind set and traditional diplomatic practices has kept Pakistan from achieving its goal. The career diplomats of Pakistan are some times not competent enough to deal with foreign governments effectively. But on the other hand, they enjoy lavish life style at the heavy expense of our government. However, I do not deny the importance of career diplomats if their competence, objectivity and sincerity is maintained. There are plenty of high ranking civil servants who basically know how to read and write English but cannot easily and effectively communicate in English. In such a situation, how can they meet today’s state of the art competitive diplomatic requirements. I strongly believe that their is a big time need of complete over hauling and resetting of our civil service institution in order to meet and compete with rest of the world. Pakistan cannot afford to carry on traditional non effective your excellency portfolio any more. However, I am against the appointments which are either made on the basis of personal relations, party loyalties or one’s feudal/elite back ground. The selection of our new FM is a classic example of it. I do not think Pakistan can afford any more baby sitting, nepotism and favoritism.

Mr. Zardari deserves appreciation this time. Ms. Sherry Rehman is an appropriate choice, She is not only a good journalist but also a learned politician of Pakistan. After Mr. Taseer, she is the only courageous politician in PPP who have the gut and courage to stand for the cause of humanity and women rights in Pakistan. Pakistan needs more talented people like Sherry and DR Maliha Lodhi. I wish good luck to Ms. Sherry with a humble suggestion of “please keep away from appeasers, try to build the image of Pakistan, represent common Pakistanis in America not a certain class or interest group and please make true changes in Pakistani Embassy and consulates. They are rude, uncourteous and unavailable to discuss the needs and problems of Pakistanis in America.

• QUDSIA says:

I’m totally agreed with your views. We desperately need to show our moderate side to the world and this is the most positive decision made by Mr. Zardari so far. As I was reading about the work she has done for the betterment of the women in our country and in the improvement of Indo-Pak relations, I’m truly inspired and wishing her very best. May God give her the wisdom and courage to go through this rough path. Ameen

12. Navid Khan says:

well the decision startled almost every one. This is how politics goes in our country. This post is too big for sherry… Establishment involvement can’t be ruled out.

13. Mohammed A. Sukhera (USA) says:

Mrs. Sherry Rahman’s political career came to a sudden halt when she supported the repeal of Blasphemy law. She was selected not because of her talent as a diplomat but as a reward for a loyalty to the party. She definitely is not the right person for such a sensitive position.

14. Aslam malik says:

If i were sherry Rehman ,i would have denied the offer ,repying ,it is too delicate ,sensitive post for a lady,while i cant send emails ,sms to the government of Pakistan Do more Do more please.bu us the merit is ,ability,experience is the condition,but faces..

• Naeem says:

Aslam malik, there is no difference between a man and a women and no post is sensitive for a lady. Please transform yourself in the 21st century and forget all of your old way of thinking. She will do a fine job. Than you.

15. Pakistani says:

Pakistani’s are just a Mob…..Give them anything & they will love you for it, except for good economy, jobs & stablity

16. Owais Ahmad says:

its not a good decision.

17. Ganga din says:

What difference does it make who the ambassador is? Look at the President, is he qualified?

• mohsin meghani says:

He is qualified.All our discussions leads to personilties.Atleast he can talk to foreign dignitaries in a respectful way.The selection of Sherry Rehman is appreciable.

• Khurram says:

Well Said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. maria khan says:

her credentials may not qualify her for this sensitive issue, far more options were there for the diplomacy coz she is not a diplomat

19. Nasah (USA) says:

A marvelous choice that shows the ‘civis’ are going to be in-charge of Pakistan-US relations and foreign affairs.

20. jalaluddin S. Hussain says:

The new appointment of Sherry Rehman will not have any impact on the U.S.- Pakistan relations.

21. rashid ali says:

It is a great move. She is an able lady.

22. L Ahmad says:

The only credential you need to be appointed to any high profile job is to be known by the Prime Minister or the President. Just look around the useless brigade of federal & provincial ministers & their cronies.

23. riaz says:

One among the best available choices to present regime, and hope she will use her abilities to bridge the gap b/w both countries.

24. kadar khan says:

What credentials? If any! Again, threatening to who?

25. Ibn Batuta says:

Sherry Rahman is one pof the very very few members of the political class in pakistan with some principles and character. That does not change the fact that pakistan is an historical mistake.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement