The right call?

The right call?

Former federal information minister and human rights campaigner Sherry Rehman has been appointed Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United States within 12 hours of Husain Haqqani’s resignation.

Haqqani resigned on Tuesday, days after Pakistani-American businessman, Mansoor Ijaz accused him of being behind a memo that accused the Pakistani military of plotting a coup in May.

In your opinion, will Sherry Rehman’s political portfolio make her a credible Ambassador to the US?

How will her new appointment impact US-Pakistan relations?

Sherry Rehman’s previous resignation from the post as federal information minister in 2009 was reportedly due to differences of opinion with President Zardari on imposing restrictions on the media. Will those differences factor in her responsibilities as Pakistan’s envoy to the US?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

128 Responses to “The right call?”

1. Justin says:

I think a good decision. A liberal, educated, secular and decent women like Sherry could be the best bet of Pakistan in improving falling ties with US.

2. ali says:

Zardari loves to appoint women in important posts possibly in order to reflect a soft image of the country, but this is a high pressure post and Sherry may not be appropriate for it.

3. Nasir khan says:

I only know of one thing about her that she is brave, mature and a truthfull person. We have instances in the past, where she stood for injustice, discrimination and fowl play against the humanity. She is a true pakistani, who I am sure will fight for the rights of not only the poor but unprivelge people in any where in the world.
    Weldone Shery Rehman keep it up, God has granted you, yet another opportunity to stand for the rights of the people.

4. Asad Ahmed says:

Sherry Rehman is a good choice. She has principles for which resigned her position earlier. That is what is needed.

5. No matter how beautiful she looks, as far as merit and pure merit is concerned, she is not the best choice.

Moreover, she does not represent the core and crux of Pakistani masses and is not a career diplomat. So how come she could defend and protect the interests of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and its people in the U.S. in a befitting manner?

It merits mention at this crucial juncture in time and history that there were lots of other better choices than her. Nevertheless, in a country where institutions are scarce and ‘one-man rule’ is the order of the day, not only at the highest level but almost in every other segment of the society, she has been hand-picked by the person at the top, who by sheer stroke of luck, is also the President of the country.

Let’s hope for the best. Long live the people of Pakistan and God Almighty bless Pakistan. Aameen, Tsum Aameen.

6. Asad says:

The way she resigned after the blasphemy issues, does tell she is emotional but it also shows she will not tolerate wrong from anyone, she stood for justice. Let’s hope she can continue this trend.

To run diplomacy in USA, you need someone who either has been there already (on job) or have been living there for sometime. There are so many able people for this job but it’s sad that these selections are party based rather than what’s in the best interest of the country.

7. G.A. says:

What position is more important than the ones occupied by the ‘three wise men’ as President, PM and the Interior Minister?

8. ATIF ALI says:

This position need a seasoned diplomat not a politician, and again the politician (Sherry) appointed only on personal opinion and party based not on merit, mistake after mistake. Anyway :HOPE FOR BETTER, PREPARE FOR WORSE:.

9. Amjad Wyne says:

The challenge for party loyalists is to graduate from representing the interests of their own party to representing the interests of Pakistan. Haqqani failed to do that and Sherry is most likely to have even tougher time.

10. mir m hussain says:

I worked with Sherry when i was Business manager for Star, she is a capable person and knows how to
    develop relationships, she will adjust to her new position comfortably and will represent Pakistan’s point of view via foreign policies in these sensitive times with our relationship with US. i wish you the best sherry. Masarat.

11. Roha Khan says:

I think that we have far better people than sherry rehman. she is a wrong choice for sure.

12. raja says:

women rights having priority in zardari view these days, jumping merits are norm in pakistan,

13. kadar khan says:

Please give us a break! Do you think would it really make a difference!

14. Nighat Mehkeri says:

She is an amateur, you need someone who can go toe to toe with other experienced and mature politicians and government officials on policy and national interest. Does Pakistan not produce any such people? Sad, very sad.

15. Humayun Bhatty says:

Sherry has weaknesses and some positive points as well. She took a stand for freedom of press and resigned from her post. That was a bold step, and few would do that. She deserves credit for that. Now, America is a daunting place, but not to worry, if you take a position of straight working then there should be less problems. But, I suppose she would learn with time. We have a 100% parliament of most incapable person with the exception of half a dozen. If they can do it then why not she.

16. Zubair Qureshi says:

She is a good choice under the circumstances, though has no experience as a diplomat. She appears to be a weak administrator which would be an impediment in the performance of her duties as ambassador in a very important country.

17. Bilal says:

Soft image Khar now sherry rehman.

18. sarmad says:

Sherry Rehman is known for her civil rights activities, strong belief in democracy and intellectual outlook. By her appointment the government has lost nothing as she is a true depiction of Haqqani. A strong message has been sent that an elected government wants someone who can plead continuation of civilian rule in Pakistan in the powerful corridors of Washington. President Zardari has given a message to party men that despite past difference there is still a role waiting if someone can fit into in the given situation. Let’s see when it comes to Atizaz Ahsan?

19. Bushra says:

As many of you have commented, there were better choices. Her credentials certainly do not qualify her for this extremely sensitive position.

20. obaid says:

this is another person for american purpose not for us (pakistan) .

21. M A Mirza says:

President/PM can appoint any citizen to ambassador post, loyalists are rewarded this way (common practice around the world), therefore, accept Amb. Sherry; hopefully she stays clear of controversies and talks sense in front of the US politicos!

22. Shazia says:

Sherry Rehman is a brave and intelligent women. I think She or Dr Maleeha Lodhi would be an excellent choice for this post. We need more progressive policy makers like her in Pakistan.

23. Zabardasst says:

Sherry Rehman is to Benazir as Haqani to Zardari.

24. Baloch, Ghulam-Hussain Qamar says:

Her Excellency,

As a Pakistani-American and having served for 27 years as Information Wizard with Pakistan Information Ministry from 1973 to 1999, I welcome your appointment as Pakistan’s Ambassaor to the US.

I have full appreciation of your credentials and can say that you won’t be a threatening figure to the Pakistani military rather you would work untirelessly toward cementing relations between two armies of Pak-US in critical days ahead because you have greater empathy, undedrstanding, and awareness of diverse-cultures of Pakistan and the United States of America.

I and my Pakistani-American friends and community welcome your well considered appointment, though delayed! We wish you all the best in your endevour to build fresh friendly relations between the two countires.

Your well-wisher,

Baloch, Ghulam-Hussain Qamar
    Senior Media Anlyst
    Washington DC Area, USA

25. Jabbar Mohmand says:

She is good asset to the democracy, ppp and the country. She was not being utilized for two years. Her appointment is a rather good decision. Otherwise, we could lose her by some “holy hands” of any Mr Qadri… At least she will work in the US for Pakistan with more security… Human life is more precious than anything, as Islam teaches to us…

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement