The right call?

The right call?

Former federal information minister and human rights campaigner Sherry Rehman has been appointed Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United States within 12 hours of Husain Haqqani’s resignation.

Haqqani resigned on Tuesday, days after Pakistani-American businessman, Mansoor Ijaz accused him of being behind a memo that accused the Pakistani military of plotting a coup in May.

In your opinion, will Sherry Rehman’s political portfolio make her a credible Ambassador to the US?

How will her new appointment impact US-Pakistan relations?

Sherry Rehman’s previous resignation from the post as federal information minister in 2009 was reportedly due to differences of opinion with President Zardari on imposing restrictions on the media. Will those differences factor in her responsibilities as Pakistan’s envoy to the US?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

128 Responses to “The right call?”

1. jk says:

Not at all! Same brrigate…and same western mind set…

2. Jabbar Mohmand says:

Haqqani was himself a very good choice… Now Sherry is another best choice. I do appreciate.

3. Badar says:

People’s party could not appoint a better person from party ranks. She’s among the best brains current PPP. I’m sure she’ll do a great job as Pakistan’s Ambassador here in DC. Good luck Sherry.

4. Honestly, she is not a good choice – it shows that `PP want to appoint her own favourites and liked people and have no idea about the sensitivity and importance of the position.

5. farideh zivary says:

She definitely knows how to bestow praise like Zardari to the potential US vice presidential candidate.

6. Suhail Farooq says:

The memogate scandal illustrates the weakness of the Zardari regime and outlines much we are enslaved to the United States.

7. Nana says:

Seriously Zardari has never done anything right in the government. With Sherry intellect why did she accept this post? What is her background in diplomacy? A great choice would have been Zia Isphani. He was Pakistan’s ambassador to Switzerland and Italy, his father was the first US ambassador to United States. He grew up in United States, attended University in the US and knows both cultures with fantastic maturity. Zardari in all account should have stepped down with Haqqani. Haqqani would have never done what he is accused of with out the blessing of the leadership.
    Why has Sherry put in this post is the million dollar question?

8. Agha Ata says:

Women are flexible, compassionate and have powerful self control that makes them better leaders everywhere. I wish her great success. Of course, I am a male feminsit.

9. Mudassir says:

I think she has personal credibility but her party leader, who showed her the door as information minister two years back in a rather unceremonious manner, is dismally deficient on this front. On the face of it, her acceptance of the otherwise coveted diplomatic slot tends to disregard the adage: Once bitten, twice shy.

10. Mura Ali says:

as for as her selection is concerned,it is very irritating for the brilliant faces in the country.she is not at home to tackle the issue of diplomacy for pakistan.irony of fate is that change of face makes no difference for america rather she will act betterly for america.similarly keeping in view her stance of amendment in blasphemy rules she acted as very liberal.how she will represent the islamic republic of Pakistan…………………..?

11. amjad cheema says:

excellent choice under thelimited options

12. Muhammad says:

An awful choice! To say the least. She is not a representative of the people of Pakistan.

13. Muhammad Rizwan Malik says:

Seriously?! Another blunder by the government, id say. We need a seasoned diplomat in US, someone like Salman Bashir! Not another political goof.

14. Shahid Ashraf says:

Good decision. She’s the most appropriate appointment at this point in time.

15. Fahd Abbasy says:

well she crumbled under pressure when indian jets violated pak air space if i remember correctly when she was the info minister. She wasnt able to cope up with queries from media.

so in light of above.. having such a high level stressful portfolio which requires deft and skill along with expertise on all matters like military, economics, political and social.. I would never have chosen her for this position.

A VERY BAD CHOICE indeed..

16. Amir Alam Niazi says:

Sherry Rehman holding some of the most important positions in the government. Who says Pakistan is gender biased country ? Zardari & Gilani have not done anything for women education – certainly have introduced glamour.

17. Jz Khan says:

Sherry Rehman…well her as our representative to US is same as a movie whose review say watch it if you got nothing else to watch or do!
    I mean who else is left in talent pool for this post…she got looks, she does have a slight command on diplomatic dilect (in my wildest dreams) and well she is pretty liberal to given image of Liberal country. Anyways, it seems like women will be holding the foreign relation front for Pakistan with Hina Rabbani Khar as Foreign Minister and Sherry Rehman as Pakistani Ambassador to US!

18. Irfan says:

It is not a question of whether she is the right choice or not. The point is that we have a professional foreign service of pakistan and if political appointments liket his continue, there will always be such memogate scandals. A professional career diplomat can never be part of such a scandal.

• sarmad says:

I am sure this question will not come in your mind if an ex general has been appointed

• faraz says:

Completely agree with you! Sherry is a politician, not a diplomat and such important position should not be awarded to her or any other politician.

• Fahd Abbasy says:

i complete agree with the statement above… we should have apolitical expert appointments based purely on merit

• Muhammad says:

I agree with the comments above. Sherry Reman is a politician, not a diplomat. Judging her from
        her previous performance, she is also an emotional person.

I do not believe she can interact diplomatically with the American politicians (she does not understand American politics). A person like Zia Isphani named above by some, would be more suitable for this job. I live in America, and it will be interesting to see how she performs. Good luck, Sherry

• Nana says:

Sadly Zardari never gets any thing right, does he? Haqqani was just doing his job and taking orders.
          Had BB been alive today Zia Isphani would have been the new ambassador to the US. Will the US accept Sherry’s appointment as an ambassador? Where in the world was Sherry an ambassador?

19. quadri nawab says:

she is very right choice for USA as she has already powerful links with USA . she is running an NGO funded by united states . through her NGO she is working in the best interest of united state. She also published a book on misuse of blasphemy law in pakistan. this controversial book was written and published on wish of usa.

20. FRank Saiden says:

Aitzaz Ahsan would have been a better choice than the Sherry Rehman. There a perception in US media and people where they do consider woman weaker than a man in certain positions e.g. President of USA. diplomatic positions related to wars and nemesis. The ambassador position will be perceived as a weak image of Pakistan where Pakistan needs to portray a strong commitment towards establishing peace in terrorism war. She will be a show piece in diplomatic circle for Pakistan as softer image.

21. FJ says:

well..running out of choice on all fronts now…the available pool is becoming all failures through trial and error…call its 360 degree approach…circulating all departments just to see if THE TALENT can be discovered…the best talent fitting position seems ideally as opposition as then they at least voice concerns with no responsibility.

22. Shah says:

I wish Galani/Zardari could have found better person than Sherry Rehman for the post. Has she been apponted because she is a women and we want to show that we are champions of the women rights. A career diplomat would have been best choice.

23. Ali says:

The Best Call. She has all what it takes to be a successful diplomat.Always wondered why was she not picked as a foreign minister.

24. HAMZA says:

tried, tested and failed. no use reinforcing failures. Anyways, she’d rather continue to be better remembered through gilani’s innocent arm grope rather than having a prestigious slot. when we already know the result in advance, why bother to take the plunge

25. Salman says:

Definitely a good choice although I can’t say the best possible pick.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement