Overnight attack

Overnight attack

An early morning Nato attack on Pakistan’s security forces has left at least 28 soldiers dead the Mohmand tribal region. In an immediate reaction to the attack, Pakistan blocked supplies to the allied forces based in Afghanistan. Additionally, Pakistan’s acting ambassador to the United States registered a protest against the attack with the US State Department.

The attack came a day after Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani met with Isaf Commander General John Allen to discuss “measures concerning coordination, communication and procedures between the Pakistan army, Isaf and the Afghan army, aimed at enhancing border control on both sides.”

This is not the first incident of its kind and while protests have been registered and voices raised, we are yet to see an official explanation into the incident.

How, in your opinion, should Pakistan deal with such attacks on its security forces inside its own territory?

Will the blockade on transportation of Nato supplies prompt a reaction from the allied forces in Afghanistan? Can this move, alone, be termed a strong response to the attack? What additional measures should the government take to ensure such attacks are not carried out in the future?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

204 Responses to “Overnight attack”

1. Zubair A Khan says:

I want to ask General Kayani where were our planes? which airfield was closer? where were anti craft guns
    where were radars? what was our air defense was doing? May they were asleep too. U THE general Kayani in charge of our defence may sleep too. Armed forces take 30% of our budget. What is your performance zero. We are the poor people who have no food we the people provide you the best food and very thing u eat sleep use is the best. How u can sleep at night having blood of 25 innocent boys of ours.The best you can do is stop their supply general. I feel shamed to call u a General. Some one please send this email of mine to him it will be appreciated. Zubair Khan

• BAHADAR KHAN says:

well, I do respect your thoughts but if u want to judge your defense then first judge every person in your country. Because persons make a nation. if u find any person here ready for any emergency, fire, flood, hunger, education etc, etc. then defense is the right target.
      I believe the right approach will be to make this nation equip with education (male and female). No, institution of a country can work in isolation.The question of budget 30%,40%… is irrelevant because we do not have our priority fixed.
      The only way, we can strengthen our defense is to make every person of this nation educated. By education i do not mean degree, certificate but education I mean something that one can use for his benefit.
      Now back to ” I want to ask General Kayani where were our planes?”, U know where these planes are made, and how we purchase it? we do not have technology nor we have money. we borrow money and purchase the plan from the same people who are attacking the borders this country.
      well there is so much to said but I think this is enough for today.

2. Syed Sarmad Ali Shah says:

Halting NATO supplies is a good start of retreating from this war on terror. So far this war on terror has proved counter productive and destructive equally for US-NATO-PAKISTAN. This issue is being condemned from Senior political leadership to grass root masses. This is not the first time for Pakistan’s sovereignty to be violate but it is oft-repeated act but merely condemning this act in words would just not be enough. It is about time for Pakistan to take concrete and practical action against this violation

3. Hina Sadiq says:

Our whole nation along with media must come out on roads and protest.
    Our brothers sisters families and friends in European Countries must go on strike.
    We all living in Pakistan must withdraw Visa Applications from Nato Embassies.
    All foreigners officials must be out of our borders except the diplomats.
    All Nato troops participated in the attack must be brought to Pakistan for criminal trial.
    Nato command in Afghanistan must be sacked.

4. TASAWAR says:

put some anti aircraft missiles up at those places ,i mean the ones that really hit their target ,,, watch the change in attitude ,may be even cut one loose now and then to let them know ..

5. The heinous attack took the life of 28 troops. what step can be taken to avoid such incidents in future ? (1) the nato supply should be halted . (2) soldiers at the borders should be provided with anti aircraft guns. (3) diplomatic means should be used in order to find permanent solutions of such incidents.

6. faisal yaqoob says:

Only one simple answer which every Pakistani has to say loud and clear to their govt. Just get out off this war. Please! Get out its not worth it

7. ali khan says:

this is war. it should not be taken as anything less unless nato hands over the people reposable for this attack. if this attack has taken place on american troops by the pakistani army they would not have let this go. do not ask them to vacate shamsi airbase instead go in and put the people there under arrest and charge them with the murder of pakistani soldiers. enough is enough as a member of the army it will be very very bad for the moral of our troops if no action is taken against them.

8. Anand says:

Why is Pakistan the only nation being bombed by drones ?

• Shubs says:

Loss of life is sad and was preventable. But unfortunately, Anand, introspection is not a trait prevalent among the majority of Pakistanis today.

9. Yaqub says:

It is a shame ! First the Abbotabad attack and now this. It looks like the army has become useless. Worse than the Iraqi and the Libyan army.
    The COAS should resign and so should all those who like Musharaf believe that they cannot defend the country against the Americans.
    This is definitely a deliberate attack meant to test the ability of the army to respond. More such attacks will come in the future. If the army is able to retaliate and stop the attack, Pakistan still stands a chance,

10. sohaib says:

Pakistan must shoot down these helicopters at least once. They have violated the border several times. How come army and air defence are so negligent that they dont know when it happens?

I dont think our military and civilian leaders have the guts to do that.

• vinay says:

very well said sohaib…i think NATO is taking pak for granted and is assuming that whatever they do pak’s military leadership will never respond…Pak is a sovereign nations with atoms…Now is the time to show them what Pak can really do…only then such insults and humiliations would not reoccur in future.

• Zubair says:

Well said Sohaib, well said!

11. Fawad says:

It is an in-fortunate incident and Pakistan should not make mountain out of the mole hole. In wars, friendly fire mistakes do happen and these are resolved in friendly and amicable manner among the allied nations. Cross border terrorism is the main enemy of both the Nato and Pak and efforts should be made to eliminate the terrorists sanctuaries on the Af-Pak border region and Pukhtoonkhwa. instead of playing the blame game or making inflammatory speeches or statements. Pak should provide whole hearted support to the war and make every effort to cut the roots of the terrorism.

12. malik says:

It is very sad that innocent lives were taken by ISAF, whatever the reason given by them. A UN condemnation should be given out to the ISAF, after an inquiry as to how far the post was from the border dividing both countries. This was not friendly fire so the rules of engagement are already in place and the outcome of murder should be handed out, no matter what force was involved.
    The next step should be to stop all cross border traffic for ISAF, nothing goes out nothing comes in from Afghanistan through our borders.
    Stop being stooges for the big boys that want to rule the world. Let them fly in and do what they have to do but not through our territories, we should not help them in any way.
    Stop taking dictation and money from these world powers, as they will control your internal affairs for a very long time.
    Make your own defense pacts with your own allies and don’t take any nonsense from the rest.

13. naim ur rehman says:

There is an invisible line between bravery and cowardice we seem to have lost total comprehension of it.If we want to live respectfully in this world then terminate all kind of support agreements with USA/NATO.In future if any such type of activity takes place then a befitting response should be given to these adventurers.Remember aggression can only be contained by aggression.had it not been true then there would have been no Kashmir or Palestine types of issues alive in the world today

14. yaqoob ahmad says:

There should be a targeted operation against the unit who started this:

1. Stop all the supplies forever now.
    2. Announce to the world our own conditions. We are disengaging from this war we will not fight anyone AND we will protect the lives of our citizens. So if there is any intrusion deal with with them upfront no excuses. Enough is enough.
    3. plan a retaliation strike against the unit / platoon who did this attack bring them to justice.
    This is the only way and this will then challenge any future strike when they know someone will get them.
    If this Government can’t do this we really are ruled by impotent rulers. shame on this Government and parliment and those who still support them and want to vote these politicians.

15. javed r siddique says:

No knee jerk reaction.Pakistan needs to reasses its options.and decide what is best in national interest.
    Pakistan has done a poor job of selling its side of story.pakistan has suffered more in terms of human life,both civilian and military.country is in constant state of war,its resources have been diverted to non productive.society is being redicalized,
    Questions to ask?
    Is war on terror pakistan.s war?
    what is the long term solution of Afghanistan?
    who are the real parties in the long term?
    what will be the role of NATO/AMERICA in the long term and there interests in the region?
    ofcourse investegation of the attack and taking the responcible to international court of justice.
    making all the neccerry steps to ensure proper responce in future.
    Pakistan can not afford to be involve in any war,any war hysteria will harm pakistan.
    we need peace with honour and dignity. and all responces should be made with these points in mind.

16. saleem says:

If the govt is serious and sincere, an immediate UN Security council meeting be called and resolution should be got passed to condemn US. Shoot order must be given.

17. Pakistan should do following in my Openion.
    1.Block All kind of Supplies [Done]
    2.Eye for an Eye by all means available if Pakistan army has any Gutts I do not believe they have they like Politicians interested in making money otherwise were they sleeping when those Helicopters came why they did not shoot them down or retaliated at that time means they are Cowered.
    3.Ambassador to called and asked to leave Pakistan in Days not weeks.
    4.Pakistan Newly appointed Ambassador not to be send to Washington.
    Bottom line is Pakistan should do same amount of Damage to them if not more by any means they can.

18. Neeraj says:

Come on Pakistani citizens, it’s time for you to realize what your army and politicians are doing for you. Americans are most selfish and it’s time for them to learn a lesson.

I hope this incident will be a eye opener for Pakistan.

19. Ayesha Khan says:

I think that it is high time, and Pakistan is in urgent need for a leader who has a broad vision, and can handle the matters in diplomatic ways. Yes indeed Pakistan has suffered a lot on account of US dominating Policies, but one must also keep in mind that Pakistan has suffered much more by involving it self in the issues and quarrels of Afghan’s, and the Taliban’s. It is a duty upon the authorities to look into the welfare of its own citizens rather than to play a role of a referee———–

20. Muhammad humayun says:

Pakistan should call for an emergency meeting of u.n security council on this issue.it is an act of naked aggression and open violation of international laws.

21. Fuad Rashid says:

Enough is enough! The Pakistani government,opposition,military,media and the masses should condemn this brutal,barbaric and murderous act in the most unequivocal terms ever.

The blockade of Nato supplies should continue and also intensified,military to military links put
    on hold until the aggressors in Afghanistan realise that Pakistan is a No Go area for
    their forces and the Pakistani nation means business this time around.

No need to be apologetic or conciliatory to Nato/Isaf unless they are willing to treat us an equal
    in every definition of the word. If such measures dont work then we need to decide as individuals
    and as a nation whether it is worth existing when we are perpetually at the mercy of our enemies or so called allies.

in any case it is time for us to put up or stay quiet.

22. Fact-finder says:

I feel extremely sorry for these fallen jawans.

23. Aamer says:

Enough is enough .. it is time for Pakistan to grow up and behave as a reposnible independent country in the world .. the time is needed to become the Switzerland of world war II .. it was a small and week country with no natural resources at that time .. no industry or agriculture .. but it remained neutral and unallied .. it told Germany that it will not be aggressive towards it and will not support the allied .. and told the Allied forces that it won’t allow Germany to use it .. It was one of the few countries that came out unscathed from WWII ..

It is time now for Pakistan to say that enough is enough .. if you (NATO, ISAF and US) want a war then go fight it in Afghanistan .. we have nothing to do with it .. we will not support the taliban against you nor we will be involved in your meddling .. same goes for India – Pakistan should tell them that it does not have any designs against it ..

But it will have to prove on ground that its spooks are not supporting any covert programs in the name of national security.

Enough is enough

• Asif says:

Yes! we in Pakistan are fooled by our own government and the innocent die. They fooled us when erstwhile Gen Musharaf sent my brother a regular Pakistani Soldier to fight a militants war in Kargil luckily he survived but, till date is disillusioned and does not trust anybody. I am sure the poor soldiers who were asleep also faced similar situation and the taliban would have done some activity to which they fired back and innocent got killed. The truth lies in the video the NATO forces have to release. We are making such a big noise about this and nobody is listening because we make noise on everything but do not take any action on our own problems.

• venu says:

u r correct. pakistan can live freely and happily if it stops obliging america. it is the mother of all problems today pak is facing. it is concerned about no one but itself. but pak leaders and generals are obssessed with india. they are blind to see that america has killed twice the number of soldiers than anyother country. only allah can help pak now.

• Ran says:

I am an Indian and have an opinion that if Pakistan and India as a country is to survive then both countries should stop entertaining US.US should not be allowed to set foothold in this region.US can’t be friends of India or Pakistan.We have already lost a lot.Both countries should realise that they are relatives and neigbors at a same time. We must learn from these white people…look at Europe…and their relationship during WW1 and WW2..and see them now!We are poor ad we must concentrate on the welfare of our people those who daily struggle through life.

• Aju says:

I agree with you Ran. We are one and the same. We must stand with each other, for each other. Politics has driven a wedge between our peoples. This does not however have to be the case.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It always makes me happy to see our Indian brothers and sisters displaying concern and support.

• sam lee says:

100% agreed with Ran. Regionalism is the best answer to the Western concipiracies against the subcontinent.

24. jayanth says:

pakisthan should make usa realise that every humans life is valuable,be it american or pakisthani..

25. syd says:

i think pakistan needs an iran type revolution overnite change, thats the only way the country will get back on its feet. The pakistani govt cannot do anything just like in the past it has done nothing, when foreign powers just walk all over pakistan just miss using the diplomatic ties so not much can be expected now. I think this was a revenge attack done on the PA by NATO. As there is no valid reason for it,

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement