Early elections

Early elections

The Supreme Court, on Tuesday, gave the government a six-day deadline for the implementation of the SC verdict in the NRO case. The court’s order referred to six possible options to proceed with the case in case the government fails to implement its decision on the NRO. The options are listed in the judgment which can be read here.

Supreme Court’s Justice Asif Saeed Khosa reportedly said that the president and the prime minister preferred loyalty to party over loyalty to state.

On the other hand, the government is also embroiled in the memogate scandal case, the on-going gas crisis and a floundering economy.

This has led to calls for early elections by leaders of various political parties, including Fazlur Rehman, Imran Khan and Nawaz Sharif.

How should the government react to these calls?

What other options does the government have to stabilise the state?

Should early elections be held to give the people a right to make their choice?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

78 Responses to “Early elections”

1. fazal pai says:

election in Pakistan means:

@by the same

@for the same
    and
    @from the same

2. kam says:

The people who r commenting here r all good people. Do they also vote in elections………..,……

3. Anonymous says:

Given the current polity turmoil it would be better if early elections are held but I do not perceive any significant change in pakistan’s state because it may untangle the current crisis but would not resolve the long and outstanding issues the state is facing which need not be mentioned. To get the state back on track I would suggest to populace of the state to separate the state from religion and pave the way for being a secular state where all faiths are equally treated and respected. Secondly stop state sponsorship of terrorism for those petty gains which have resulted in null but derailing the state itself, Thirdly Do not let institutions create a state within the state and many a times; indeed four times since the inception of the state to be custodian of the state itself, Fourth Improve the relations with neighbors especially India and seek strategic relations with it and reap benefits of its development for the development of pakistan where condition of economy is in a shoddy state and is on brink of even collapsing, and at last I would prescribe to the people (read: elite rulers) of pakistan to live and let others live in peace and prosper and work for a better future by forgetting the bitter past for none but the “aam aadmi” because he/she is the one who suffers at the end of the day.

• IQBAL SHER KHAN says:

Demand for early elections is on board.PTI and PML Nawaz are more active in this behalf.But few questions arise here, whether the existing election commission is acceptable to conduct the elections?Who will monitor the election process, the sitting government or some ad hock arrangements are made? Who will guarantee the credibility and fairness of these elections? If these elections are conducted in the same old fashion then these would be nothing except an eye wash.The fate of the poor masses will remain the same.They will experience more price hike,load shedding deteriorated law and order situation and so on.The only solution of this episode is the strict adherence of Islamic laws and act upon quran and sunnah.

4. G.A. says:

This government is utterly incompetent. No doubt. But let them complete their term so that they can be confined to the dustbin of history for good. People are more aware now and army intervention would not be welcomed.

• ZB says:

I totally agree with you and ideally it should happen like this. But people who can elect these people once will do it again an again, until country become totally bankrupt.

5. Jamal Amir Hamza says:

As per as my opinion the only simple solution is that we have to change ourselves rather than changing the corrupt leaders or the government , we are not working in that area where the work should be done, we are doing sins , since the independence aloof from some leaders not a single leader comes to work for this country , just fulfilling their lavish wishes and nothing else, we have to pray five times aday , our prime responsibility is to practices what Allah and his Rasool preaches but if today we are not practicing how can we expect from the corrupt leaders ?

6. Eyes Opener says:

I want to ask from all the participents dat who elected this government,of course the people,so we have to blame ourselves, for incapability ,of not making the right choice.And i dont believe that if a new government is elected will address the grevious problems,that Pakistan is facing ,in short span of time.One has to look into the past that what did the leaders , who are calling for early elections,do when they were in power.And the army which consider itself as a banchmark of defining the country interest,did for the country.What was the interest of the country in expatriating Ramandave.Were they asleeped on 2nd of May. They have ruined the life of tribals in FATA by treating them worst than enemies.I am surprised that even the tribals dont want talibans,as they have made their life miserable,then whose propagating them to controll the FATA region, to fight in Afghanistan and to extract money from USA at cost of lives of tribals.My point is that, as democracy is fledging in Pakistan,so we have to give it a time.I request u all to make a right choice next time and bear this government as we bore Musharaf government for eight years.

7. Shabbir Kazmi says:

In my opinion solution is simple. Opposition should move non-confidence resolution in the parliament to bring in-house change and also impeach president. If they can’t take these two steps then should demand immediate by-elections on the seats vacated by politicians changing their loyalties. This will be a test of all the political parties which claim support of people. Why should billions of rupees be spent to remove a corrupt government and bring spineless persons in power who also have vested interests?

8. MNK says:

Please don’t count too much on the few honest people that are left in the country. Imran Khan is the only honest man left as a party leader. Beleive me, if elected, we will all jointly fail him because we are ourself not straight. He will try to stop the corruption but we would not let him do that. Haram money is easy money. Who on earth would be able to stop it from coming our way. Unless we have fear of Allah and His people we would never be able to succeed. Dawn has always blocked my comments because I always speak truth. I hope they will allow it this time.

9. Nasah (USA) says:

In this guerrilla war among the three institutions — no institution by itself will be able to unseat another thus the stalemate will continue — and for the first time in the entire history of Pakistan governance one civilian government may finally complete its full term at last.

10. Ali Akhtar says:

only early election is the solution of the which we are facing , it is requested to government obey the court ‘s order

11. Omer says:

I think the government should be dissolved. Under the supervision of the Supreme court, the Election commission should finalize the electoral rolls and get rid of all the bogus votes. Using the NADRA cards, fresh elections which are free and fair should be held. I foresee a transitionary period of 4-6 months to get the electoral list in order before having the first free and fair election in Pakistan’s history.

12. ashaq says:

Fair and free election is the only solution for this sinking ship of pakistan.
    Sooner it take place better it will for pakistan.
    Because only honest and determinant leadership can steer us from this mess we are in

13. Hamood says:

This is the most incompetent, inept and corrupt govt in the history of the country. All the leaders of this party are clueless about governance and corrupt to the core. They have not done any single positive thing of any significance in the last four years. The country has gone downhill ever since they came into power. Having said all of the above, they should be given one more year so they can complete their 5 year tenure. If they don’t get it, they will become political martyrs once again and claim that had they been given one more year as mandated they would have brought heavens down to earth.

14. Asad Malik says:

The country has been bombed with so many allegation during this PPPP tenure.I dont know what to say.Musharraf era was relatively stable.See the high inflation rates,gas load shedding,electricity loadshedding etc etc.Corruption to the root level.All we need now is a sincere leader like Imran khan but a single man cant do anything,now all political goons are surrounding him for gains.Fresh elections are necessary but we should take into account a stable system for elections where no 1 can place bogus votes.AND ALL OF THE CITIZENS need to cast vote,it is very crucial ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE ABLE to cast must do such.An early elections is required but an interim gov is required for stable transaction.Public mandate has been humiliated by this present government.

15. waqas hassan says:

aoa.. what i have to say about this present scenario is that this is the most incompetent government so far.. i would say its really pathetic to even look at it, every institution has collapsed and governance has failed badly, the present regime should resign and should conduct new election making sure its scrutiny,there isnt any subsitute way left…

16. Dr Omer Mallhi says:

This is a classical maxican standoff now…….. Army WANTS to but can’t afford another Martial Law atleast not directly….. Judges also DON’T WANT another Martial Law but can’t afford this present Government…. President and PM they WANT to be political martyrs but can’t afford to write letter to Swiss Courts or loose SENATE ELECTIONS now that they are so close.
    Both know that its just a matter of time and IF PM doesn’t relieve COAS/DG ISI from duty then Surely SUPREME COURT will relieve them.

17. Marine says:

I think we should have immediate election , which should be free and fare .

18. sm says:

ONLY IF WE CHOOSE RIGHT PEOPLE

• Sarah says:

Well said!! The problem here is this that a village person remain ill-informed after all this crisis and still think that Zardai was doing great and its establishment that not wanted him to succeed. They weep and cry infront of the public with even bigger voice espacially due to the power of millions of dollars reserves in Swiss Banks. There is no match for a fair election till the time Media dont perform the way it is in the developed counties. A very factual, fair and full debate in local leguage by local Radio and TV is of earnest need.

19. Mikal says:

There is nothing to be gained in early elections, in fact quite the opposite. Early elections would only reinforce the perception in the military that with sufficient prodding a civilian government will give way on any issue, even, on its terms in office. Doing so could irreparably harm the revival of democracy that Pakistan is currently undergoing. The elections should occur as previously scheduled, and then, the people may speak.

20. naseer says:

Legitmacy to the govt is given by the people not the judiciary not army and ofcourse not media.our representatives are there in the parliament who should debate on the issues laying in the supreme court.the opposition should play a sober role by making a political culture of finding solutions in parliament istead of involving the unreprentative judiciary…the govt has already given the indication of early electios and has time and again requested the opposition to come talk but the opposition is not having any.hence there must be some one with the last word in cases of disputes and that is the parliament.if you not trusting parliament you are not trusting us…your

• Kramat Ali says:

Politicians gain power through the ballot box. Only if 40% of voters were not forged, only if president did not steal and deposited wealth abroad, only if Prime Minister was an honourable man to implement the court decisions, only if wealth looted by PPP is kept within Pakistan, only if these dynasties treated Pakistan as their home rather than a prostitute; only to use when it feels like it. If Zardari had his way he will sell whole Pakistan at discount. How come a President says on media I know who the killers of his wife are but after 4 years he ask courts to look for them. Some may speculate the President may have been involved in the death of his wife?

• Islam habib khan says:

Legitimacy and Trust are hardly the words one will use for this Government or the Parliament. The most corrupt and shameless bunch Pakistan has ever seen. They have done nothing for the people or for the country.
      The sooner we get rid of them the better.

• Asad Malik says:

Give me a break.You think the people you vouched for are way above greatness.If you casted vote then you should say so.The people who made PPP what it is are also to blame for what they did.They are not my representatives because i didn’t cast for them.The parliament every sober Pakistani knows is nothing less than a pile of junk.The same people coming to power again and again its a Monarch which i am not fond of.

• sarmad says:

“You are not trusting us” simply means that trust in people’s verdict that has their elected representatives sitting in the parliament. Good comments by Naseer when he said that judiciary should not be involved in the political issues. All this ongoing uncertainty which is harming our country is only what he has pointed out. We have made our country a theater of clones where state institutions are issuing political statements against others. This ongoing non sense should be stopped immediately. No doubt that Pakistan political situation dictates early elections, which ruling coalition has already been indicating. Let’s give a chance to this parliament to give birth to next parliament.

• Amjad Wyne says:

Mr. Naseer, when you say, “You are not trusting us”…Who are you referring to when you say, “us”? Is there anyone who trusts this parliament, the political leaders – government or in opposition? Just look at the comments in this blog – it may help you decide.

21. ishfaq khan says:

an early election is not the proper way or the solution to get rid of problems faced by this country,every male and female should think positively and act positively,every male and female is not sincere to this beloved country,so every politician is also a male and a female,so plz for the sake of Almighty ALLAH think positively and act positively.

22. syed Imran says:

This is the most dishonest government in Pakistan’s history and the only silver lining for the people of this country is the early departure of this government

23. Fahad Anwer says:

If the government thinks that they are honest with the country and it’s people they should immediately go for elections.

24. parmoon shuja says:

I just read yours “Musharraf’s Return” from the news paper (editorial). The key issue is, “So what happened during the past and the forthcoming election”. Same ciaus, uncertinity, blame games, round and round the bush games. If the mentality of the people of Pakistan do not change. And their only goal is money and greed, with no honesty, and self respect. Then, whether elections held now or at its time, it does not matter. Story will be the same. I apple to the people of Pakistan to take a pen and paper in order to make profiles, with pros and cons of each of the candidates with out any self interest. And lets hope that this time they will come up with a Pakistan loving and for the people of Pakistan LEADER.

25. @ Justice says:

A Government which failed its Railways, pathetic situation of its people and failure to provide strong defense system against drone and failure on all front must go

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement