What-more should Mohsin do?

What-more should Mohsin do?

Pakistan left the cricketing world stunned with their 72-run win over England in the second Test match at Abu Dhabi. As the team erupted in celebrations at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium, one of the prominent scenes was that of stand-in coach Mohsin Hasan Khan being thrown in jubilation by his team.

Much of Pakistan’s recent success has been (rightly) credited to the captaincy of Misbah-ul-Haq and his team’s newfound work ethic. Pakistan have now won all of their last four Test series, three of which have been played under the former chief selector, Khan, who took over the coaching reigns after the departure of Waqar Younis.

While Khan has been acting as the national team’s coach, the Pakistan Cricket Board has been looking to hire a permanent replacement for Younis. In former Sri Lanka and Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore, the board seems to have found the replacement but no official announcement has been made so far.

All this while, Khan has made no secret of his desire to continue with the job and has made a serious case for himself with the team’s recent success. However, with Whatmore being reportedly given the nod, Khan’s days as coach seem counted.

The PCB faces the dilemma of removing a coach who has not lost a series since he took charge, with a man who last coached a national side without much success.

Should the board go ahead and hire Whatmore as the permanent coach? Or should Khan’s tenure be extended?

If the coach is, indeed, changed, will it affect the team’s performance?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

187 Responses to “What-more should Mohsin do?”

1. Haseeb says:

For ALLAH sake leave him, PK team is just winning under his coaching…..

2. Zubair says:

I think, a combination of DAv and Mohsin might work well. DAV can further train Mohsin about the finer points but he should not be take present role of Mohsin with the team. Have Mohsin directly deal with the team as he seems to inspire and motivate the team a great deal. The motivational factor is really important for a team and Mohsin seems to be doing it very well. PCB should have them both as we need to learn from the professionals in their respective fields.

• sarah says:

i think mohsin khan should carry on as being the coach for the pakistan team. this is because i feel hat has has strightened up our team and reunited everyone to work as a team and due to him we have proven to the world that we can win without any controversies coming in between.

3. eakhan04 says:

The best option which I think for PCB is to make Mohsin Khan the manager of the team. While, Dave Whatmore can come as a chief head coach. This will be a perfect solution according to me. I will keep Aaqib Javed as a Bowling coach. I pray for TEAM PAKISTAN to achieve new heights in world cricket.

4. jawaid says:

i think there is no requirement of change, because we all consider the result of the team, now as a coach mohsin khan did a great job so keep that man on their position, and as for as DAV is concerned there is on doubt he is a professional BUT my preference goes to mohsin.

5. SHAHID says:

Mohsin Khan has done his bit bringing Team Pakistan to a stage where it needs to take off. Mohsin is not a qualified coach and has no exposure, no training, no expertise to analyse, investigate, plan, and incorporate actions to netralize opposition team’s batsmen, bowler and their fielders weaknesses and strengths, and apply to our team members training them to counter other teams strengths. Mohsin has in his time not studied and cleared courses needed to be a coach, which then would have made him a contender qualified to contest for this position. He is an asset and needed with the team. My personal suggestion is that he be Team Pakistan’s permanent ‘Manager’ and makes sure Team Pakistan has all the amenities, facilities, press cover, and is protected and safe from all outside elements trying to degrade our team. Mohsin can be a heavy influence in developing strong character in each of the team members. Hope both Dav Whatmore and Mohsin can work together to make Team Pakistan the best top 2 or 3 teams in the world.

6. Farhan says:

It is my personal opinion that looking performance of pakistan team on ground and off ground i suggest that the current unit is best to carry on and give them full confidence by cricket heads.
    Moreover if we see pakistan domestic cricket as no internal matches has been taken place for a quite some time i think to hire an international coach is not a bad idea but keeping Mohsin khan some leading role in pakistan team on ground and off ground that will serve both purpose i.e Act as Team unit and international exposure of pakistan. India/Bangladesh/ etc all these asian countries use this formula….!

7. KB says:

In my view, the team is performing well because of the ground work laid down by Waqar in his time with these guys. I mean look at the players who are performing now (Rehman, Azher Ali, Asad Shafiq, Mishbah, (and to some extent) Akmal etc etc), in whose tenor were they brought in the team? Waqar’s … I give mohsin the credit that he also helped this as a selcetor but it was Waqar who really worked on the techniques and the mental aspect of the game for these players…so really sad to see people not giving him credit in general … (oh..i forgot its pakistan, we have short memories..sorry folks)

Going forward i initially was in the favor of keeping mohsin with the team in some senior capacity (but not as coach) since it is to his credit that since waqar left his take over was a smooth transition. However his interview to sky sports right after the Abu Dhabi win has completly changed my views and if pakistan cricket and fans want to see the end of this team like we haev seen the teams of wasim (’99 world cup) and that of Inzi’s (larlge in 2000s) then please go ahead and defend mohsin’s case. But if you want a long lasting success with this team (and there is fair chance we would), bring some one in who has an “US” attitude versus “I need some credit because i chose these guys, when i was a selector (mohsin’s answer when nasir hussain asked him a question)” … i mean come on mohsin, i thought you were better than that … really disappointed on you.

PS: on the other hand, i personally dont think Dav Whatmore is the person to coach pakistan anyway, he has his best years behind him … for GOD sake PCB get somebody fresh who knows the cricket as it is today and not of ’90s..

8. Samuz says:

As a coach Mohsin Hasan Khan has delivered what was expected from him. What else we want from him or what laurels another coach will bring? Mr. Zaka Chairman PCB has proved to be a very good leader and I think he will bear this thing in mind before making any changes to current set-up.

9. Abdul Nasir Mughal says:

Mohsin Khan should be given the chance to be the coach and why not??
    We should show the world that we are not running on the shoulders of foreign coaches and we are MADE IN PAKISTAN from Ashraf Zaka to Saeed Ajmal.

10. cricket says:

It will make no difference who is the coach and the Manager. Guys are playing as team because fixers are in Jail and know that if they do it anjam will be same. I wish PCB should have acted way before 3 culperts are caught. One left Akmal…Remeber losing in Australia by him dropping all the easy catches.

11. danoo says:

No one in the world changes a winning combination except inPakistan

12. Sahibzada Jahangir says:

I cannot commend on Mohsin Khan abilities as a national team coach but he interviews on the television has been superb. There is a famous saying that in defeat be genrous and in victory be modest. Mohsin Khan has brilliantly presented himswelf before the media. I think he is the best and Pakistan should appoint him as the Manager of the National Team as well as the Spokesman for Pakistan Cricket.

13. Asad says:

I think the recent success that Pakistan has had is certainly due to the stability provided by Misbah. Although, Mohsin Hasan Khan has had a fair share to do with the success, but its more because of his actions that he took as a senior selector than as a coach. I think he himself initially dedicated the success to his hard work as a selector – where he provided a backup of each and every position – and working with the ideology of “competition breeding success”. That has certainly paid off, but the strategy with which Pakistan is playing, is the same as was during the tenure of Waqar Younis.

I think Pak should definately hire Dav WHatmore since he’ll be the one to polish the strategic aspects of the game that lack with Mohsin being the coach. But that comes with a caveat – that Mohsin Hasan Khan MUST remain as a selector!!!

14. Mubaraka says:

well, the PCB should carry on with the selection of Dav Whatmore as the new coach for the Pakistan cricket team. the thing is that mohsin khan inherited a team from waqar younis which was already at its highest peak. giving all the credit to mohsin khan will not be fair to waqars efforts as he was the former coach of the cricket team. the signs of improvement started to emerge in the team throughout the world cup matches and then the back to back victories. although misbah and his team played high class cricket under khans domain yet he should not be made the permanent coach of the team. the chances are that the longer he stays with team they will be more chances of favourtim and politics. thus, whatmore is a neutral party and is less viable to the politics of the PCB!!!!!!

• Yawar says:

Are accusing Mohsin Khan of favoritsm as a coach but not as a chief selector? Would you accept Whatmore as chief selector? After all he will be impartial in making selections, will he not?

15. iftikhar says:

As far as coaching is concerned real credit goes to Waqar Younis, who really showed his full commitment and worked hard with Pakistan team. Dev would be the best choice for Pakistan.

16. Bilal Kayani says:

Keep Mohsin Khan – even if those who claim that Mohsin Khan has not had much to do with the recent success, and just happened to be there at the right time, are correct.

The fact is he seems to get along with Misbah and the boys – even if he doesn’t do much, he clearly doesn’t do much wrong either. There has been harmony in the side while him and Misbah have been there. If him being there means this harmony in the side will continue – just let him stay.

You don’t always need a coach who is vocal and is trying to teach all the players to play. We need a man-manager rather than a technical coach – and according to that criteria, Mohsin Khan has definitely been a PASS so far.

Please – I beg of the PCB – don’t tinker with something that already works.

17. Taufiq says:

Do not forget the performance of whatmore as a coach for Bangladesh,Sri lanka and IPL Kolkata. Mohsin khan has done a good job , however to mentally prepare the team for the world cup as a winner we need an international coach with proven track record and i think whatmore fits the cretaria for the Job

18. Farhan Khan says:

I totally disagree with Liaq, as he mentioned that winning against three teams is not because of Mohsin as coach and further that win against England is because of Warqar’s Coaching. Mr Dear Friend, majority of current Pakistan team was not even in Pakistan Playing Team when Waqar was around. To tell you the truth I do not see WAQAR having a caliber to coach a team. He was just a bowler and that is that!!! Where as Mohsin has proved his credentials. He is only looking for sheer talent and does not believe in favortism unlike his predessors. Moshin should stay as Coach of National Team.

• iftikhar says:

It is almost the same team which Waqar trained, and his commitment was exemplary. Players do not like a coach who never compromises on discipline, thats why they welcome the coaches like Mohsin and Miandad. Player is just a player when it comes to game, no matter how big hero he/she is . What Waqar tried to maintain was the discipline of the team beside hard training. Big names never like both (discipline and training). Watmore is a good choice, otherwise bringing Waqar back will be a good idea as well

19. Happy Singh says:

The best option for Pakistan Cricket is to hire DEV as head coach and for same tenure to appoint MOHSIN as Manager of the team. Since DEV is a professional coach he can deliver more and MOHSIN can keep the team intact

• Jamal says:

I think this is a great suggestion. Mohsin has a good rapport with Misbah, and as you said Dev is the professional, trained coach. I think this will be a great combination.

20. Abdullah Hussain says:

Dav Whatmore is a talented international cricket coach he has in him what is required to build a top level cricket team. No doubt Mohsin Khan has done a remarkable job in transforming the struggling team into a winning combination however a new young team is essential as most of the current players are coming of age. Here DAV Whatmore will play a leading role to train & blend young & old players together. Mohsin should be retained as chief selector. He is a Pakistani & is not going anywhere, he will always be there to help Pakistan Cricket. DEV Whatmore should be appointed as chief coach.

• parveez says:

Agree, but I think Moshin should be given some sort of a role with the team. So that he is also involved with the team.
      I think he understands the team, and the team understands him, which is very important.
      He knows how the Pakistani mind works, and no outsider can know that.

21. habib says:

I fully agree with the lot of people who r recommending Mohsin Khan as Coach of the National team.
    He is definitely doing great in making the national team victorious so far but again the question comes
    that Mohsin Khan is not a Coach he has been a great opening batsman.
    So what I would suggest is that let Mohsin Khan handle the national team as a Manager and Whatmore
    as a Coach for the National Team as well as for the other upcoming talented cricket players all over the
    country.
    Coaches job is totally different from a Manager’s post. Let Whatmore just do coaching to the new and old players for improviing their performances.
    Manager keeps close watch over his team and help where needed by the team members. hk

22. Abdullah Hussain says:

Dav Whatmore is a talented international cricket coach he has in him what is required to build a top level cricket team. No doubt Mohsin Khan has done a remarkable job in transforming the struggling team into a winning combination however a new young team is essential as most of the current players are coming of age. Here DAV Whatmore will play a leading role to train & blend young & old players together.

23. Ahmed Saeed says:

Mohsin is a clean man. He has done tremendous for Pakistan. Changing him at this juncture won’t be fruitful for the team. Let him stay please.

24. Mohammad Akram says:

Mohsin Khan is better than any other coach No point in changing the coach this time when team is already on winning streak. Why to waste money?
    Keep Mohsin Khan He is a very devoted cricketer as well. Well known figure in the world for his cricket performances. I go for Mohsin Khan.

25. Laeeq says:

Win against three teams were not because of Mohsin. Coaches cannot make good players in 2-3 months. It requires alot of time. The win against England was because of Waqar’s coaching. If Mohsin is left as a coach , I think it will ultimately bring in politics & favoritism culture. In contrast Wattmore, is not a Pakistani, so he has no benefit in favouring any specific batsmen.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement