What-more should Mohsin do?

What-more should Mohsin do?

Pakistan left the cricketing world stunned with their 72-run win over England in the second Test match at Abu Dhabi. As the team erupted in celebrations at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium, one of the prominent scenes was that of stand-in coach Mohsin Hasan Khan being thrown in jubilation by his team.

Much of Pakistan’s recent success has been (rightly) credited to the captaincy of Misbah-ul-Haq and his team’s newfound work ethic. Pakistan have now won all of their last four Test series, three of which have been played under the former chief selector, Khan, who took over the coaching reigns after the departure of Waqar Younis.

While Khan has been acting as the national team’s coach, the Pakistan Cricket Board has been looking to hire a permanent replacement for Younis. In former Sri Lanka and Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore, the board seems to have found the replacement but no official announcement has been made so far.

All this while, Khan has made no secret of his desire to continue with the job and has made a serious case for himself with the team’s recent success. However, with Whatmore being reportedly given the nod, Khan’s days as coach seem counted.

The PCB faces the dilemma of removing a coach who has not lost a series since he took charge, with a man who last coached a national side without much success.

Should the board go ahead and hire Whatmore as the permanent coach? Or should Khan’s tenure be extended?

If the coach is, indeed, changed, will it affect the team’s performance?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

187 Responses to “What-more should Mohsin do?”

1. naeem says:

Now is feb 3rd and 1st day of the 3rd Test. Mohsin’s team is 57/7. He should do anything he likes. He does not even know why pakistan won the first 2 Test matches. He may just do what he likes and saves pakistan from this Blind Cricket.

• Yawar says:

I’m sorry I fail to understand your logic. Are you saying Mohsin is responsible for the 57/7 but had no role in the first two test victories? You seem to be implying that if anything bad happens to the team, it is Mohsin’s fault. But if anything good happens, then he had no role. This makes no sense.

• Saleem says:

Now is Feb 4th and 2nd day of the 3rd Test. Mohsin’s team bowled England for only 141. In the second innings Pakistan is score is 222 for 2 wickets. I think Mohsin Hassan Khan is a great cricketer and a good coach. He has good personality. He should continue as Pakistan cricket team coach. Why do you want to replace him when the team is performing marvelously? Mohsin deserves award, respect and credit.

2. Ali says:

Whether Whatmore or not .. I think Mohsin cannot be a long term coach as he is not equipped with all the essentials of a complete coach. He might have all the motivational and personal rapport touch to bring out the best of the team’s talent.. with his kisses and all that.
    I think he can still be given a role under a newly hired proper coach.

• Amjed Ahmed says:

I think Dev is better option to produce better results. Mohsin has capitalized on Waqar bhae’s efforts. Dev has proved that he can lift any team from anywhere Srilanka and Bangladesh are examples. Look at them where these teams were and where these teams reach during his tenure as coach.
      Our batsmen are lacking in techniques. Dev can do something to improve. Now the things in cricket are very much different than Mohsin’s era. Give chance to Dev and let’s see…..

3. Riaz says:

Whatmore should Mohsin do????? He should resign.

4. Jameel Miandad says:

The best option for Pakistan Cricket is to hire DEV as head coach and for same tenure to appoint MOHSIN as Manager of the team. Since DEV is a professional coach he can deliver more and MOHSIN can keep the team intact

5. Jabbar Mohmand says:

Team is okay with Muhsin and Misbah… The policy of change should come to an end, which was a great art of Pakistan-Butt Cricket Board…

6. Afzal Khan says:

I think we think that we are not capable of doing anything our self and other peoples and countries better then us this is why we look at at others our country has a lots of talented people like Moshin Khan and others so please leave him alone he is doing an excellent job and boys are seems to be listening and following his order Moshin Khan should be not kicked out from this team because some one from Australia,Newzeland,or other countries will do better job then him local Pakistani Moshin Khan should be part of PCB not sideline please PCB think twice before you are going to make any decision about the present coach????????

7. AKHAN says:

Mohsin is not the answer, The credit for England series undoubtedly has to go to Misbah. We need a coach who is equipped to incorporate technology into game planning. Mohsin has an important job and should continue to flourish in this chief selector role. As far as the coaching assignment goes, Whatmore before Mohsin any day.

8. Dr M K Aslam says:

Many Congratulations Team Pakistan and All Pakistanis BUT I am extremely concerned and worried about the foreign coach appointment business. PCB in its usual stupid policies would simply wreck the whole thing and nip the budding and rejuvenating Pakistani team if it changes or appoints a foreign coach at this juncture. The perfect Chemistry between the Captain-Coach and the team can be seen even by the blind. There is absolutelty no need for the current combination to be tampered with. They are on the up. Let them take their flight to achieve their maximum potential.
    If Watmore or any other foreign coach is brought, Pl NOTE my words.. Divisions would arise in the team. Close understanding, warmth, respect and rapport would give way to pseudo relationship. Effective mutual interaction would be a distant story… and so on.. ALl these would be detrimental to the team. PLEASE PLEASE somebody tell the Board to make sensible decisions above their personal and vested interests.

9. F.Hussain says:

I do not think a foreign coach is a good idea. Main reason being a language barrier. How many of these players speak and understand perfect english language. Bat and ball can speak but mental preparations need communications which are fluent. On this point I shall leave Mohsin Khan in charge as the team is being inspired by him to successful performance.

10. kifayat shah says:

I think there is no need of any coach for pakistani team.because team is playing and will be played well in captaincy of Misbah.team always require a good captain not a good coach and as far as Mohsin khan is concerns, he is just lucky nothing else.

11. Mohammad Merchant says:

Mohshin has proved as chief selector and now proving as a coach that he is is capable in handling the job. He has the three qualities which is must in coach. 1- Man managment.2- Diagnose the defect in bowler and batsman 3- Ability to correct it in nets. He has shown in his tenture that he can convey his finding to player politely as well as firmly whenever it is require. He also implanted a feeling that each player in the team has his importance. There are still some faults in our team namely tailenders should improve their batting, DRS should be used with consultation and focus on batsman to convert big score into hundred and player should play as per the situation in a match. He is working on all these problems. He should be given enough time and powers to impeliment his plan. We have seen team unity on and off the field. I am against foriegn coach beacause they have communication proble and they have security concern all the time. We should now make a habit of relying on our resources. We should also try to teach english and prepare them how to deal with on and off the field requirements. They should be given better package for producing such a fantastic result.

12. Nasir says:

We have tried big names to coach our cricket team in the past, at times with not very good results. If Mohsin Khan is producing the results, the reasons may be many, maybe the fair dealing or chemistry with the team etc we should give him a chance.

13. FAISAL ADAM says:

i personally know mohsin khan.. we use to play snooker in a club.. well to be honest i never thught that he can ever be a coach for pakistan cricket but to be honest the way team is performing since he became coach i dont see any reason to replace him.. he might not be a perfect coach but may be he is alucky coach for us.. and our team needs luck more than anything now to turn around the things that have haunted them in past in form or spot fixing etc.. i think he should be retained as coach for the time being and if the team performance declined then we should think about replacing.. what will what more do now.. already the team in winning.. what else do we need?

14. anzer says:

Pakistan need a batting coah NCA and should continue with Mohsin as long as the team is wining ——-

15. Yawar says:

Whatfor we need Whatmore?

16. Yawar says:

Yep, this is typical. Some foreigner will come and show us the way and fix our problems including lack of water, electricity, education, petrol, etc.

17. Yawar says:

We all know how talented our team is. The only other factors our team needs is to have (1) Faith in the Creator and themselves, (2) be United in their cause, and (3) maintain Discipline. If the “made in Pakistan” label can help the team achieve these three factors then we dont need any foreign help.

18. habib says:

Mohsin Khan should be incharge as a Manager of the Team to keep it moving in the right direction and keep them united.
    Regarding hiring of Whatmore it would be a nice idea for him to search new talents and groom them up for
    the Pakistan team. In this way Pakistan team will be kept fed with new talents to be included.
    hk

19. S.N.Ahsan says:

Whatever may be the reason, the Pakistani Team has done wonders in its present capacity and combination. So why do we want to remove Mohsin Khan and bring someone else, when the team is performing well ???? Why not to remove the PCB chief as he has contributed nothing upto this point.

20. Assad Zaidi says:

If mohsin khan is not doing any thing and all the credit goes to Misbah then why we are removing mohsin khan and why we need watmor???

21. ahsan ali says:

he deserves longer tenure and should be given more time to prove his ability as a coach. Afterall foreign coaches can be hired anytime.

22. Faridoon says:

While I appreciate his passion for the team, I don’t think Mohsin has played a big role the team’s recent success. In fact, I think it is lack of coaching that has worked so well. These are world class international players who, it has been argued, do not need coaching. Afridi has often said that he is his own coach.

I hope that this Dav vs Moshin debate does not divide the players. If Mohsin stays on in the capacity of batting coach or assistant coach then it is likely that some players might be in the Mohsin camp whilst others with Dav. I think if Dav is to take over, then Mohsin should go back to being Chief Selector where he did a decent job, and stay away from any coaching assignment.

Dav will be hoping that the team continues to do well after he takes over, otherwise everyone will corelate success with Moshin, and Dav will not get any erspect from the Pakistani fans or players.

The timing of this coaching change is very unfortunate. Lets hope it is a smooth transition with no affect on team psyche or performance.

23. Zafar Iqbal says:

I think Mohsin or Whatmore both will not play a vital role in pakistan success I am totally agree with Imran Khan suggestion that in this level of cricket you don’t need a coach because you cannot change a technique of player at this stage, the great example is Shahid Afridi who has played under almost 8-10 coaches no one is able to change his technique, he is still playing aggresively doesn’t matter what a situation is required. I believe a good coach you can just make a disciplnie and increase a moral by motivatating the player. So therefore I recommend Whatmore is a best choice as far as a recent success against england we should all thanks to our spinner not to coach

24. Ejaz says:

It’s just the coincidence that team is performing well with Khan being the coach. I don’t think he has done any extraordinary work to charge up the national side. It’s Misbah and his eleven who have been instrumental in guiding Pakistan’s victory in various battles.

On the other side Dave Whatmore is an experience customer. He has a proven track record and I am sure he will only lift the team higher from where it is now not that he’ll bring the team back to failures. PCB should therefore thank khan and replace him with a more experienced coach-Dave!

25. Harris Khan says:

Mohsin Khan doesn’t do anything. It is Misbah’s intelligence and determination that the team is winning all the games and Dave Whatmore would be a great sign for the Pakistani team.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement