Militant infighting: A new curse?

Militant infighting: A new curse?

Dawn.com invites its readers to debate current affairs in this forum.

On Sunday, three workers of the Tehrik Nifaz-i-Shariat Muhammadi (TNSM) and one Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant were killed during an exchange of fire between the two sides in Mamond tehsil, Bajaur Agency.

The clash erupted after TTP men arrested the son of TNSM Bajaur chapter chief Dr Ismail Khan, who is a close aide of Maulana Sufi Muhammad, as well as 15 workers on Saturday night when they were coming back home after organising a TNSM public meeting. The Taliban are of the view that nobody outside their ranks can carry or display arms or hold public meetings. Therefore, the move was opposed by the TTP Bajaur leadership and termed a ‘lashkar kashi’ (attack) against them. Subsequently, the Taliban erected barricades on entry and exit points on various roads in Mamond region and searched passing vehicles.

In reaction, TNSM local leaders announced a public meeting – a show of strength – in the Maina area of Mamond. The situation turned violent when the two sides opened fire on each others’ positions.

Is militant infighting the new curse of the tribal and northern areas? Do you think a power play between different militant factions is imminent? How should government officials and residents of the tribal agencies contend with clashes between militant groups?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

99 Responses to “Militant infighting: A new curse?”

1. lilly says:

You asked few questions, which everyone need to think of. In my analysis:
    1. I think these people loot the police stations, army personnel and authorities, who have modern weaponry.
    2. They are Bandits, they rob the rich people (rich people, who earns money illegally), they don’t even complain, since, they cannot show account publically.
    3. These barbarians kidnap the rich and influenced people and get the money and modern equipment in return. I knew one incident, where they threatened to kidnap the family members, if they did not provide modern communication devices (exported) to them. So who knows what else they demand by threatening the people.
    4. These militants/Talibans, make deal with smugglers, who smuggles the drugs such as opium, heroine and hashish and get modern, expensive sophisticated weapons in return. These smugglers do the billions Dollars of the business by cropping these drugs in rural areas. They do look safe routes to export these drugs into the world. The way they are smuggling out the drugs, the same way they smuggle back the weapons. Smugglers, Gangsters in cities and Militants in country side, some politicians and government officials have strong and strong relations.
    5. Still some categories of Army and Intelligence , supports these guys and provides what they need and shares the intelligence with them. Whenever US or Pak want to attack on hideouts of al quaida and Taliban, the intelligence institutions leaked and alerted them. These cowered army and intelligence personnel are dangerous to the country then Taliban and other militants.

2. Jamus O'Brien says:

I really think “Faroouki” has a point here!

The best way to stop them, is to stop their money suply – but where do they get it from?

A point well worth consideration…..

3. Jamus O'Brien says:

Are you people actually serious?

Who is behind all this?

Is it the Americans? The Taliban? The Zionists? India? The ISI? The CIA? The IMF? The Army? Bush? Bin Laden? Musharaff Obama? The IMF? Cheeny? Ghandi?

In your own hearts, you know the answer.

The great conspiracy theory is rubbish.

You are responsible! Every single one of you!

And YOU have a choice (for the moment…).

And ONLY YOU can stop all this!

And since the time of Pakistans independence – you have squandered this choice – hence where we all find this discussion now!

Good luck – you will need – and so will everyone else!

4. Daneyal Faiyaz says:

Waiting for what Mr Gilani. why equivocating each time? why not declare both “TEHRIKS” terrorists organizations! DEAL!!!What is the ethics and legality behind deals! “ISLAMIC” political parties and their “leaders”, how would you like yourselves to be called in history? for what Islam are you playing politics, who is your God!!!!

5. Raj Muthusamy says:

Pakistan or any other country will not prosper when controlled by religious zealots. All religions were created by man and we live in fools paradise where some people die for them. Taliban in Pakistan or RSS gang in India will take people backwards in the history, cause havoc in the lives of ordinary citizens if ordinary citizens are powerless and unable to enforce common sense in politics. People of Pakistan [and India] must conduct self introspection not influenced by religious dogma or propaganda of special interest groups. Come on folks, let us use our brains and realize that none of these religious warriors brought any good in anyone’s life. They are symptom of ignorance, falsehood and violence. Let us wake up and give our countries a chance for quality and prosperity.

6. Farooqui says:

The area occupied by so called Taliban does not manufacture any thing even tire rubber to make a slingshot (gulail), what to say about making a bullet with no local source for brass, lead, copper and gunpowder.

QUESTION?
    From where do the Taliban get the most modern weapons? Who supplies the weapons and who continues to replenish used arms and ammunition?
    Again these sophisticated and modern arms are not cheap from the shelf of a general store. So where is the money coming from?
    Some groups/countries are involved in the smuggling of arms, ammunition, food, POL, training etc with vested interests.

If one can identify and have the guts to stop the source of all supplies, problem is solved.
    It is so simple, but made intricate by all powers involved in this game of Chess

Depends on what are the stakes for each party involved including Pakistani leadership. Our leaders want to use this international fear to get $$ to stash their foreign bank accounts.
    When there is NO WILL, there is NO WAY

7. mukund says:

I am an Indian national living in the US. Do the Pakistani people really believe Rehman Malik’s view that the terrorists in Balochistan are trained by India? I don’t know what the truth is. My question is only whether Pakistanis believe this to be true?

8. Sidd says:

It is really surprising at how the Taliban is able to expand their control and the Pakistan Govt is not able to do anything except for big talk.
    Pakistan’s armed forces…meant to take on India…550000 strong army, airforce with F16s, HueyCobras and 500 other combat aircraft…is not able to take on a ragtag army of a few 1000 taliban armed with AK47s and RPGs?
    Just how can that be?

9. peace says:

Taliban cannot be killed or thrown out… People need to realise that most of the taliban belong to Paksitan and are its rightfull citizens. People must also understand the reason behind this extremism. This war on terror which our blind leaders have proudly accepted as a war of Pakistan and for Pakistan to fund their overloading pockets has ruined the anataomy of this country. Sending of troop to northern areas, killing innnocent people, Bombarding houses, schools, children and elderly… Well, after all the chaos what can you expect from the people of NWFP.. The most probable answer to this is, what the whole country is witnessing on news channels and papers these days…

The solution lies in compensating the people of NWFP for thier loses.Compensation in the form of building bridges of trust, which may sound absurd and difficult to many of you, but I beleive it is the only lifeline left for our pathetic government. It neccessary to highlight that trusts are not build upon false promises which our leaders and government are best at and niether there is any assurance of a solid concrete response from taliban. But Trust and negotiations are the only way out from this chaos. Trust can be build by promising and also implementing promises for education, health and security. Providing speedy justice to people which is the main driving force behind for the rise of taliban. Investing in infrastructure and probably compensating the most poor citizens who have lost their dears ones in the war with enough sums to brings their lives back on to the track.False promises would do no good but will only aggravate the current situation. For more than 60 years we have ignored these people and they have suffered alot to this day.Is high time to act otherwise another 1971 is imminent. Building trust will take time or even a decade but sooner or later things will get settled themselves.

“To cure the patient the diagnosis has to be accurate, otherwise the wrong medicine can sometimes kill the patient.”

10. Fawad says:

It’s the time to be patient and not take actions which can put things into a bigger mess.

Even if right now we are hyper by the actions of Taliban – What are they doing? What is it that they want out of us? Where to draw the line between them & us? I don’t accept them.

But one thing we are forgetting these tribal people are the same who fought in Kashmir in 1947 when Pakistan didn’t have the formal army. They in every trouble stood by Pakistan as one of the key strength to the nation – They have a blood which is not against Pakistan.

We need to meet that part of them – which is good. We need to create situations where there positiveness in the favor of people become dominant. Give them space to live & let people know that they are as good humans as anywhere else in the world.

At the end of the day we all are Pakistanis and through only this country our lives keep rolling on.

I am not sure do they have roots in people but as far as I think no Pakistani can support any action which is against the country. Minority can never control majority.

11. Khalid Rasheed says:

It is the right of every LEGAL CITIZEN of Pakistan to live in peace and harmony, now every citizen not only includes Muslims but also includes ALL NON-MUSLIMS. Pakistan is the most corrupt nation in the world, thanks to our fearless police and corrupt politicians.. no one pays their taxes and then we want to blame everyone in the world but ourselves for our rotten lives . Main problem is that we are more concern about what everyone else is doing instead of minding our own business and try to do the right thing. Now as far as the Talibans are concern I consider them nothing more than modern day gangsters and all they want to do is to scare people and tell them how to go about their daily business. Also I don’t believe in any kind of Islam that forbids little girls from going to school and try to learn something and improve their living condition. I hope Pakistani Army can round them all up and send them back to Afghanistan because if they are so tough Just look at the Pakistani Flag Green represents the Muslim majority and white represents the minorities and if there is someone who does not like our flag may be it is time for you to pack your stuff and leave Pakistan. We have bigger problems and we don’t need any Taliban to tell us what to do.

12. Syed says:

If you let Taliban in, they will wreak havoc on the religion and on all the fellow-countrymen. So just eliminate them and their sympathisers.
    Secondly the moderates should be educated with moderate Mullahs.
    Thirdly socio-economic development programmes should be started in these areas.

13. zir says:

the pakistani leaders are in the state of denial that there these extremists are a real threat. Everyday we read new demands and new threats from the talibans and everyday we heard from a govt spokesman that everything is under control.

The treacherous peace deal between talibans and govt is only making these terrorists strong and giving them more time to re-organize. This deal has back stabbed all the people that were killed by these extremists in suicide attacks and other killings. After every terror incident the govt said that justice will be provided – is this justice?

We have to understand that these cons donot follow islam – they follow their tribal rules. they donot know peace – they only know how to fight.

14. Saf says:

You’re misguided, Bashir. And its scary that you are.

Bashir, this sharia is a false sharia. The Salafi/Wahabi/Deobandi have twisted and narrowed every interpretation and added tribal practices to it. Not every Pakistani Muslim follows the Hanbali based Sharia and not every Muslim wants to go into the stone age with the Taliban ruling who lack intellect and show ignorance in their thoughts and comments.

Many Afghanis had opposed the Taliban but were crushed by them. The Taliban will not tolerate minorities, such as myself, and if you follow the news of sectarian violence and targeted killings you’ll know what I mean.

This is not Islam, where you whip a girl on accusation without any eye witnesses (Do you know the story of Biwi Aisha (ra) taking a ride back to the city with a stranger and the controversy surrounding it? Read it and realize how the Taliban are implementing everything opposite of what the Quran prescribed), burn electronic shops (incidentally, under them you wouldn’t have this opportunity to write on the DAWN forum nor would I be tolerated for my POV), threaten barber and tailor shops, and chop someone’s head off for suspicion of betrayal without proof. It is not Islam that you kidnap people, bomb Masjids or innocent Pakistanis Muslims, or non-Muslims. That is exactly AGAINST Islam. They are ignorant extremists and thugs. They are Kharjites (Google it or Wiki it).

Know your founder as well and that you are opposing his views. Jinnah didn’t want a theocracy.

For the sake of Pakistan and your Dean, I hope you can see what’s happening, Bashir.

15. Ammad Ansari says:

@ Basshir…..thats the biggest and the most foul mistake of every Pakistani…you guys keep religion close to govt. There are other minorities living in Pakistan. Any political gain on the name of Islam is false.

16. Ammad Ansari says:

whoever says that these guys are not muslims and they are from India or from outside as popular phrase with the messed up govt, you are living in a fools paradise.

17. hn says:

Just like people rallied against the Dutch cartoonist, Pakistan needs a rally. Unfortunately they only rally if it is a perceived threat to religion or Kashmir. That is what the Army took advantage of. One of the largest army’s in the world could not or did not fight the true enemy that took away a piece of the land. People simply do not care.

18. lilly says:

Basheer says
    I think Taliban are not doing something agaist Islam as most of the newspapers are saying, they just want to implement Islam and this is what all Muslim wants,it is the reality that for more than 50 years we are ruled by British law which is not an Islamic Law .

I hop that Islamic law will be successfully implemented first in Swat then in whole pakistan and Afghanistan and all people will support it.

————————-
    My strong advise to Basheer is just go to Swat with your family, friends and relatives, who supports Sharia law. Just stay for a year and see how it works. Whoever supports the Taliban, why cant they move to Swat, where they get the Islamic rulings? Be practical.

19. Arshid says:

I will mainly focus on the identities of both TTP and TNSM; TNSM is a local brand of militants while TTP is confideration, where small militants Orgs. seek registeration. TNSM presumes it fights for imposition of Sharia while TTP sees a more vast role for itself. It is possible that TTP may have demanded for TNSM support in fighting against Pak.Army and US in Pakistan, Afghanistan and rest of the World,to which TNSM voiced, NO! and that may have the real bone of contention?

20. Bashir says:

I think Taliban are not doing something agaist Islam as most of the newspapers are saying, they just want to implement Islam and this is what all Muslim wants,it is the reality that for more than 50 years we are ruled by British law which is not an Islamic Law .

I hop that Islamic law will be successfully implemented first in Swat then in whole pakistan and Afghanistan and all people will support it.

For us (muslims) Subsei pehlee is Islam not Pakistan.

21. Fizza A says:

I feel so sad looking at the condition of my country, falling away…breaking apart, piece by piece….. what have we come to. Just 2 years ago before the Lal Masjid incident, life was so beautiful…. i am a doctor by profession based in a govt hospital in Islamabad. I had never seen so many deaths collectively in my 4 years of medical practicing life but i saw a zillion people dying in front of my eyes after every single suicide blasts that took place in Pindi and Islamabad. This is not the Pakistan i grew up in,got educated in and i dont want my children to be deprived of that part and era of Pakistan. i want everyone’s child 2 be safe,happy and breath freely once again in a free Pakistan, free of curses of Taliban,free of suicide bombs. a place where you can just grab your car keys and go out with out giving a second thought to your safety…. i still have hope in my country and i have faith in my ALLAH. i just hope and pray that our government does something before its too late.I wish Quide azam could come back from dead and save us once again and get us our freedom. people of Pakistan, please pray for your country’s future, and contribute to it in whatever possible way you can. i know i am doing my best!!!!

22. Adnan Anwar says:

Taliban are showing their true colors. The government is showing its competency to fight terror. We need to crush the Taliban if we want to keep Pakistan alive. Wake up Pakistani’s wake up Pakistani’s. Taliban do not want Nizam-e-Adl, they want power and make the country into the Poppy capital of the world. It is time Army, take over and take on the Taliban as a military operation. This has to stop, at all cost.

23. a well wisher says:

Mullah and Pakistan military are two sides of the same coin. Where is the Pakistan’s so called strong army now?. I looks that either it is with Taliban or it is itself Taliban.. Pakistan army have been fooling the citizen in the name of threat from India or western world and have had enjoyed all the best but they are nothing but some thugs….Shame on the army ..shame on government..
    Dear Pakistani brothers rise as a nation and defend yourself from this Islamic extremism and the corrupt and useless government including Army. Save it for your future as well as future of your next generation…Every secular individual is with you..

24. sid says:

if the nuclear weapons are in the hands of taliban entire world is in danger

25. Anjum Eshrati says:

I think the only sane voice on this blog is of “Proud Pakistani”. If you look carefully, it becomes quite obvious that the propaganda war against Pakistan and its foundations is much louder than the ground situation.

My message to all Pakistanis here on this blog: Hang in there. Do not give up hope for your country for one second. Giving up hope would be the worst and the most dangerous thing at this time, and that’s what the Western and westernized media want to happen. Hang in there, pray from Allah, ask him for mercy. Spread hope. We will prevail. Pakistan will prevail.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement